Author Topic: Evacuated to Diss  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Petles

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evacuated to Diss
« on: Friday 11 March 16 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi my mother Joyce A Chudley was evacuated to Diss in 1939 as a 13year old just prior to WW2, where she lived with a Mrs Alice Wallis and her father Harry Rice both widows in Walcot Green, I am trying to find two things, the name or number of the house where they lived and which school she may have possibly attended at that time. The 1939 register shows she lived in Walcot Green and went to school. Any help to finding the answers would be great or where I could find the relevant records to answer my questions.

Regards

Peter

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evacuated to Diss
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 16 07:41 GMT (UK) »
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/locked?id=tnnco3qcnsmprp2u75qgk3tb4dzf6zm2lnkbkb45b3p2rygeel4a%3d%3d%3d%3d&enc=true

1939 register from Find My Past

Sorry, just realised you have got that - does it not give a number if you pay or belong to FindMyPast?

Possibly Diss School - try and contact them directly or this society:
https://sites.google.com/site/olddysseanssociety/

Offline Petles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Evacuated to Diss
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat, many thanks for the information on the Old Dyssean Society, it would appear from a line in their history that Miss Dixon was the Matron of 'Uplands', a large house in the 1920s on Walcot Road for boarders. Uplands in 1939 was used for schooling of evacuees. I have therefore written to the Old Dyssean Society to see if they have any further information.

I am a member of Find My Past and there is no house name or number, just Walcot Green.