Author Topic: Agnes LILLICO, when did she die?  (Read 6493 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes LILLICO, when did she die?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Whilst I can't see an entry for Agnes in the Parish Registers, there is a couple having children in the right areas at the right time, a William Lillico and a Margaret Nic(h)ol. In 1812 for example there was a son Adam born in Cavers.

From Family Search, a summary of entries for them www.rootschat.com/links/01k6w/

A possibility really without anything more conclusive to help for now.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t1522y

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
His death certificate does list his parents as Robert Smail and his mother as Helen Kerr. I can't find any other evidence to corroborate this. I usually like a second fact to confirm relationships.  Very easy to misidentify individuals when very few sources are available. I've made a few.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Like you I have the parents of George Smail from his death certificate of 1883 in Galashiels as Robert Smail (master blacksmith) and Helen Kerr.
Can't find a marriage for them though.
1841 and 1851 census show George and his first wife Agnes Lillico at Cavers.
 Their children were JOHN b. 1835, Roxburgh, MARGARET 1837 Eckford, GEORGE 1839 Caver. TOM 1845 Roxburgh and JANE 1848 Caver
I have sons GEORGE (1839) and TOM (1845) both blacksmiths and both moving south to England where George had 7 children in Kent and Tom had 12.
Likewise I have their brother John (1835) possibly moving to Canada and dying in Saskatchewan in 1919.
1861 census Denholm Cavers shows George aged 50 and his second wife Helen Turnbull aged 30 with children Robert 5, James 4, and Mary 2.  They later had Alex 1861, Archie 1863, Helen 1864 and Andrew 1866.
Have been stuck on Agnes Lillico, though Monica might have pointed us in the right direction with her possible parents being William Lillico and Margaret Nicholl.
Cheers
Jen

Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline t1522y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,
George's children Robert and Mary died  young adults (late teens or twenty's). James is my great grandfather(moved to Saskatchewan), Alex remained in Scotland, Archie went to England, Helen married Hector Johnstone and homesteaded in Saskatchewan, and Andrew ended up in Australia.

I have some information about who Agnes's parents may be, but I have to go through my files and find it. I can't positively tie Agnes to them but the evidence is compelling. It may be a couple of days before I get everything together.

Where in Scotland do you live? 

Offline t1522y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 June 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

If you will send me your email address I can send Lillico information as an attachment. It's a copy of what my researcher found when searching for George's parents. Two pages. My email is tas1@nemont.net.

Tom

Offline stubbornsearcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 August 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have some information that may be of use to you. The following information is understood to be on a graveyard headstone, (possibly in Cavers, Roxburghshire).

"In memory of Agnes Lillico wife of George Smail Denholm who died June 1851 aged 37 years"

I received this information, plus a photograph of the headstone from a previously unknown relative of mine. Unfortunately the writing on the photograph is not clear, and should be confirmed, but I have not reason to doubt that the information is correct.

Hope it is of some help to you.

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 March 22 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Looks like its been a while but thought I'd throw it out there that I'm a descendant of William and Margaret (Nichol). 4 of their children moved to the Ottawa area of Ontario, a son William stayed in Scotland, Adam moved to England. There's alot of gaps in their children's baptisms, so theres roomfor another. the sources for this come from an artile by the Borders society that got posted online and the cemetery records for Beechwood Cemetery.