Author Topic: News of Thomas David IAGO  (Read 5009 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: News of Thomas David IAGO
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
All this information that we have found helps to build a picture of the man and may hold a clue in to his later life.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 16:53 BST (UK) »
He seems to have gone awol after his daughters marriage in 1936. Then, of course it gets difficult with no paper trails to follow.
Still its intriguing ! Where was he?

Well, I found you an address at death.

And, lets face it, once you get too recent for census era, for the latter years of someones life between the marriage of their children and their own death, generally there aren't any records to find! Most people just continue to tootle on in life, not doing anything that warrants a record being made (like getting married or having children) until they die and there is a death cert and possibly a Will.  Certainly for most of my ancestors (apart from those around 1841-1911) that tends to be a fairly blank period in my understanding of their lives.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have you talked to all of the 'younger generation' to see if anyone at all has any extra scraps of information that may give any clues?

You may have to kick yourself for not trying to find out more when the 'elderly generation' were still alive and could answer some questions.

He may have chosen a completely different name to live under in the missing years - if he can just walk out then he can certainly lie - and, as has been said, there are not many records around to search for recent people who are living under different names.

What are you hoping to find - another family?

If he were gainfully employed and living quietly, there are not going to be records on-line.  No censuses to search.

The will probably will not help, but you need to get it 'just in case.'

If he went missing in the late 1930's, he would have been in his mid 50's and stayed missing until his mid 70's.   What work was he capable of doing - if manual labour he could have been employed anywhere?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 08:41 BST (UK) »
The Will is the only lead.
If he had deserted his family and had no contact - then who DID he leave his estate to? If there was any sort of second family, then the Will may reveal that. Or he may have just left it all to the Dogs home - I guess at least that would tell you something about his latter life - he was unlikely to have dependents and he liked dogs! 

Who registered his death?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
As his daughter looked after him until his death, one would hope that she would be mentioned in his will.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,. Thanks for responding.Yes he did marry as Thomas David James and he and his wife had a daughter and two sons.
Yes he was born in Montgomreyshire and I know who his parents, grandparents and siblings were.
Whether he changed his name  ( Iago is welsh for James) or kept his original name ,this period in his life is a mystery. One which I would like to solve is possible but I'm not getting very far!

Lleucu

So as he only had apparently one daughter Dora b 19th April 1908 who married a David Poole think died Oswestry, plus two sons, still awaiting clues re this man from birth let alone death??
Keyboard86

And he married as David Thomas James?

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 April 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
As his daughter looked after him until his death, one would hope that she would be mentioned in his will.

I'd forgotten that bit, I'd got in my mind that he has disappeared and that is why we were seeking info on his later years.

If there was just this one daughter, no other children, then op must be a descendant (son, grandson?) of her?
Oh - whoops Im losing the plot again, seems there were sons too.

If he told her where he had been, but she kept it to herself and is now deceased, then it will probably remain a mystery, if no one else knew.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 April 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again, will every now and again keep plodding along with this one, still know insufficient about this man from birth, his wife Ellen was born 24th November 1879 and one of the sons was a David M (Maldwyn) James born 29th June 1911, he along with Dora b 1908 (Married David Poole), also died in Oswestry, now next task is when/where did Ellen die?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 April 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,
Ellen died in Anglesey in 1949 - although, unfortunately this has no relevance. His daughter inherited from his will and this is also a dead end. Both the sons are also dead.

There is a vague ( very vague) suspicion that he might have been in the Wellington, Shropshire area .

Thanks for all the comments I've taken them all on board.
Lleucu