Author Topic: German Occupation Registration Cards - Jersey  (Read 1809 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German Occupation Registration Cards - Jersey
« on: Monday 14 March 16 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what accuracy to expect from the information on these cards. Would the Germans have required birth and marriage certs as proof of name and date / place of birth or would they accept the information given by the resident, who may have had very good reasons not to be quite truthful.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Christine Brennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: German Occupation Registration Cards - Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 16 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I have joined Jersey Archive.  It costs @£30 p/a for unlimited downloads - registration cards, parish registers, hospital records, prison records...  My father's maternal grandmother used her  marriage certificate as id for her registration card, but this was inaccurately recorded.  Jersey Registrar were able to find the actual certificate as I was able to give them a ball park date through 1911 census.  All my dad's other relations' id details were accurate and I was able to find out a lot more about French and CI military service, occupations etc from the information given.  My advice is to cross reference information and to check against the 1920 Alien Registration Cards (also on-line at Jersey Archive) as well.

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
and can u do all that online im researching ball family from 1850s in st hellier

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:02 GMT (UK) »
If you are thinking of signing up I would suggest that you spend a bit of time browsing the catalogue, www.jerseyheritage.org

Without a subscription the images will be pixellated but it will give you an idea of whether it would be worthwhile for your research.

Apart from the records already mentioned there are funeral director's records and burial records which can give a lot of information. There is a full set of baptism, marriage and burial records from the parishes up to 1842. After that date, while there are no images of the records themselves, all of the indexes to birth, marriage and death records are there. In fact as records are being added on an almost daily basis it's quite difficult to keep up with everything that is on the site.

I had a quick look using the advanced search option and there are over 60 entries relating to people with the surname Ball.