Author Topic: Haggart/Christie, Missing Father  (Read 4087 times)

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Haggart/Christie, Missing Father
« on: Monday 14 March 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've been building my family tree for a few years now and my mother's side of the family has just exploded, I'm please to say.
However, I have great difficulty finding absolutely anything about my father's side of the family. Outside of people that we know personally, I can't find a single thing.
I have wondered if this is potentially - at least in part - down to the fact that we have no idea who my grandfather's father is. He doesn't even know who his father is.

Essentially, what I was wondering is whether or not there would be a way of finding out?

(For context on the title, my grandfather's surname, as is my own, is Haggart. However, he got this surname from the man that his mother, my great grandmother, was involved with at the time. I have no knowledge over whether they married. I know, due to some document troubles that my grandfather was having, that he was originally given the surname Christie, which is his mother's maiden name.)

I have vague knowledge of my grandfather's siblings and that we, as a family, are from Aberdeenshire/Morayshire, though I'm not sure how far back that goes or even if that is true of his generation.

Sorry if this is awkwardly worded or I've broken any guidelines.
Any advice?

Carson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Haggart/Christie, Missing Father
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 16 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carson,

Is it possible you could post all you know with names/dates/areas to give us an idea of where to begin please?

Do you have your g/parents marriage cert?

If so, can you post what info. is on it please (assuming both are deceased)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 16 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carson .
Welcome to Rootschat :)

If you grandfather is still alive you will not be able to give us his name or date of birth due to Rootschats policy of not giving details on living people.
Your first port of call to start your search would be your grandfather's birth certificate to find out where he was born and what his birth name was and if there is a name recorded as being his father.

If the father's name is blank , to be honest, I think you will struggle to proceed :( 

You can of course continue your search and trace the maternal line - you have his mother's name. And if your great grandmother married in Scotland you should be able to get her parents names off her wedding certificate.

Good luck ,

Looby

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 16 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I don't have access to my grandparents marriage certificate. My grandmother is indeed deceased, however, my grandfather is still alive and we are somewhat estranged so it would be highly unlikely that I would be able to procure any new information from him.

However, I have managed to get some information from him before the estrangment and some from my now deceased grandmother, as well as my father.

My grandmother had my father had around the age of 17/18 (I can get a more exact on that as well as specific date of their marriage tomorrow) but I know that my grandparents were married during the year 1965. My grandmother's name was Edna Murray McDonald(b. 10 January 1947 - d.), daughter of Edward McDonald and Margaret Murray, both confirmed deceased. My grandfather's name is [redacted]. He got his surname from a man named David Haggart, who was involved with my great grandmother. My great grandmother, Laura Christie. She potentially had the middle name Beatrice but I can't  remember where I got this information from.

As I said previously, they are loosely based in Aberdeenshire/Morayshire.

EDIT: In light of the information that I can't share the details of those living, I've redacted some information.
EDIT: Thanks for the welcome  :)

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »

You can of course continue your search and trace the maternal line - you have his mother's name. And if your great grandmother married in Scotland you should be able to get her parents names off her wedding certificate.

Good luck ,

Looby

I have had significant difficulty tracing her as well. I don't even have any dates for her.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Can you please "edit" your post to delete the names of ANY possible living persons as they will be deleted by a moderator as this is not prohibited.

You will however, be able to use the PM (Personal Message) option for any info. you have to correspond with us RC'rs.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Carson,

The marriage cert. you need can be ordered online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but it's a pay-per-view site whereby you need credits in £7 batches.

You will need £14 in credits to order the cert. which is your way forward.

Annie

ADDED....As Looby has said, you also need your g/father's birth cert. through the same means on SP

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amoeba,

I think you are going to have a bit of an uphill struggle here.
And I agree with Annie, names of potentially living people will be deleted by a moderator, Apologies, I should have made that clearer.

Regarding your great-grandmother , are you sure you have the name right of the man your grandfather got his surname from. There is a marriage in 1945 of a woman Laura Christie in Aberdeenshire to a man with the surname you gave but not the forename.

Looby :)

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Carson,

The marriage cert. you need can be ordered online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but it's a pay-per-view site whereby you need credits in £7 batches.

You will need £14 in credits to order the cert. which is your way forward.

Annie

ADDED....As Looby has said, you also need your g/father's birth cert. through the same means on SP

Many thanks! I'll have a look at the website tomorrow.  ;D