Author Topic: Haggart/Christie, Missing Father  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Haggart/Christie, Missing Father
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Carson,

No need to rush your research as we are only helping with advice & we all do what we can when we can afford it.

Later in your research (further back), you will be able to find plenty of leads on free sites for census records, births, marriages, deaths, obituaries, Monumental Inscriptions etc

www.familysearch.org & www.freecen.org.uk are the most used sites but they are only a lead as they don't give full info. which is on original docs. from SP.

Just glad we can welcome & help a newcomer  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Carson,

No need to rush your research as we are only helping with advice & we all do what we can when we can afford it.

Later in your research (further back), you will be able to find plenty of leads on free sites for census records, births, marriages, deaths, obituaries, Monumental Inscriptions etc

www.familysearch.org & www.freecen.org.uk are the most used sites but they are only a lead as they don't give full info. which is on original docs. from SP.

Just glad we can welcome & help a newcomer  ;D

Annie

A warm welcome it has been!  These are also very helpful websites to know about, as I already have my mother's side of the family quite far back through multiple lines. This couple prove quite useful.

This website came highly recommended by a work collegue and friend and I have to say, it seems pretty lovely so far.  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 16:06 GMT (UK) »
It seems rather unusual that there is only one site selling Scottish certificates, I must say.

Where have you found genuine original certificates available from multiple sites?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Laura Beatrice Christie was b 1902 but neither in Moray, Aberdeen or Aberdeen City?

This would be downloadable from SP though for 6 credits at 23p each. 1 cred for the index & 5 creds for the download.

Hi All

mmm...think Laura was born c. 1921. There is a death in the Aberdeenshire area for a Laura Beatrice Christie/Haggart in 1999 with that approximate birth year.

Monica  :)

ADDED: There is a birth showing for a Laura Beatrice Christie in 1920 in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica but a real coincidence.....namesake?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 19:06 GMT (UK) »
It seems rather unusual that there is only one site selling Scottish certificates, I must say.

Where have you found genuine original certificates available from multiple sites?

Fair point.

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Laura Beatrice Christie was b 1902 but neither in Moray, Aberdeen or Aberdeen City?

This would be downloadable from SP though for 6 credits at 23p each. 1 cred for the index & 5 creds for the download.

Hi All

mmm...think Laura was born c. 1921. There is a death in the Aberdeenshire area for a Laura Beatrice Christie/Haggart in 1999 with that approximate birth year.

Monica  :)

ADDED: There is a birth showing for a Laura Beatrice Christie in 1920 in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire.

Thanks Monica. In fairness, I should have said. I don't have a death date for her but I know it was long before the 1990s.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 March 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carson,

As you said to Monica that Laura Beatrice definitely died before 1990's, I have done a death index search on surname Christie (soundex option) as it would include Christie/Christy etc. with only forename beginning Laura (which will bring up any with other middle names or initials) & also because women in Scotland are recorded on death by their maiden names as well as married/presumed marital surnames.

I used 1855 - 2014 (no need to narrow search years for index) as there were only 16 matches for same price as 1 name/year on index but may include other ancestor connections named Laura?

That index will give you a few to choose from but I am wondering how you know for sure that Monica's find is definitely wrong?

Sometimes things are presumed/misgivings & not always fact for one reason or another?

Annie

Offline MonyAMickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 August 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie and Monica,

Apologies for both the time it's taken for me to respond and for my dismissal of your find.

My father was quite vehement before that Laura's death would have been before the 1990s but he has since recanted and it seems highly likely that she did - in fact - die around about that time, for reasons that are likely unimportant and somewhat anecdotal about the relation to other things happening at the time.
Again, apologies and many thanks. I'm currently waiting on a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate in the mail that will clarify for me that I am definitely hunting the right woman, before I continue but I'm gaining more and more confidence that this is the right one.

Carson