Author Topic: Gunner Angus Shaw 131917 RFA (K.I.A. 19/12/16)  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gunner Angus Shaw 131917 RFA (K.I.A. 19/12/16)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 March 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Been looking into the others who died on the same day, look what I've just discovered online...   Re. Wilfrid John Hoggard (aged 23) BORN HULL 1893. SON OF CHARLES & AUGUSTA HOGGARD WHO LIVED AT 37 BLAYDES STREET. BEFORE THE WAR, WILFRED WORKED AS A GROCER'S ASSISTANT FOR THE HULL CO-OP.HE ENLISTED IN JANUARY 1915. HIS BROTHER CYRIL JOINED THE EYR. WILFRED WAS ONE OF THREE MEN KILLED WHEN A SHELL HIT THEIR DUGOUT. "HE WAS KEEN AND TRUSTWORTHY SOLDIER." HIS DEATH WAS REPORTED IN THE HULL DAILY MAIL ON 10TH JANUARY 1917 WITH HIS PHOTOGRAPH. *

Wilfrid's Brother, 'Cyril Theodore Day Hoggard' was a Pte. in the EYR (soldier no. 31002) who survived WW1 only to be killed as a Civillian during WW2 on 4/2/41 (aged 44), how sad. He was one of four casualties in Goddard Avenue, Hull.
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Just some final scribblings - On 19th/20th Dec the Res TMB diary records "Heavy artillery Canadian Corps, Reserve Artillery and V/R bombarded enemy trench system"  The firing programme for the Reserve Artillery, which included the 4 TM batteries, is in the diary of the Lahore Divisional Artillery (which had retained its title even though the Lahore Division was about to leave the western front).  http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/results/images?module=images&SortSpec=score+desc&Language=eng&ShowForm=hide&SearchIn_1=mikanNumber&SearchInText_1=2005415&Operator_1=AND&SearchIn_2=&SearchInText_2=&Operator_2=AND&SearchIn_3=&SearchInText_3=&Level=&MaterialDateOperator=after&MaterialDate=&DigitalImages=1&Source=&ResultCount=10
There is no record of the strike on the dug out (not that it didn't happen -just not recorded!!)

None of the diaries of the battalions (44th, 46th, 47th, 50th) of the 10th Canadian Brigade which was holding that part of the line record a strike on a TMB position.  However,  the diary for 10 Brigade itself, which relieved 1st Brigade in the line on the 19th records “Trench mortar and Minenwerfer the chief trouble”
The 44th Bn diary records one man wounded on 20th, died of wounds reported on 21st.

One might speculate that Gnr Shaw and his two comrades, one of whom was from the DAC, (nothing in the DAC diary either) were away from their trench mortar when caught by incoming.  In no way of course does that lessen their sacrifice.

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Just some final scribblings - On 19th/20th Dec the Res TMB diary records "Heavy artillery Canadian Corps, Reserve Artillery and V/R bombarded enemy trench system"  The firing programme for the Reserve Artillery, which included the 4 TM batteries, is in the diary of the Lahore Divisional Artillery (which had retained its title even though the Lahore Division was about to leave the western front).  http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/results/images?module=images&SortSpec=score+desc&Language=eng&ShowForm=hide&SearchIn_1=mikanNumber&SearchInText_1=2005415&Operator_1=AND&SearchIn_2=&SearchInText_2=&Operator_2=AND&SearchIn_3=&SearchInText_3=&Level=&MaterialDateOperator=after&MaterialDate=&DigitalImages=1&Source=&ResultCount=10
There is no record of the strike on the dug out (not that it didn't happen -just not recorded!!)

None of the diaries of the battalions (44th, 46th, 47th, 50th) of the 10th Canadian Brigade which was holding that part of the line record a strike on a TMB position.  However,  the diary for 10 Brigade itself, which relieved 1st Brigade in the line on the 19th records “Trench mortar and Minenwerfer the chief trouble”
The 44th Bn diary records one man wounded on 20th, died of wounds reported on 21st.

One might speculate that Gnr Shaw and his two comrades, one of whom was from the DAC, (nothing in the DAC diary either) were away from their trench mortar when caught by incoming.  In no way of course does that lessen their sacrifice.

maxD

Thanks Max.  I'm writing up all the snippets of info, together with copies of the diary pages, so that I can get a clearer picture of the facts as we know them, not only for myself, but also to send to an Australian relation, who like myself, until a few days ago (& since this thread started), only had Angus's date of death, no further info at all.  So all this is great.  I haven't had a reply from 'the owner' of Wilfrid Hoggard's information as yet, that's where I got the 'killed when shell hit their dugout' from... I can only presume it was the family story passed down the generation, unless his obituary (which I'm trying to get a hold of from the Hull Archives) gives any more information. 

http://www.ww1hull.org.uk/index.php/component/mtree/COTTINGHAMROAD/1502-hoggard?Itemid=

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Also, following on from that last piece you posted, I had noted that a Pte. G W Marshall (474257) 44th Can.Bttn had died (the day after Angus) on 20th December 1916, also at Quatre Vents.  So again he was noted, along with the four that were killed on 10th Jan 1917, but not Angus & co.?  I suppose slip ups in the recording of info was to be expected.