Author Topic: military hospital WWI?  (Read 682 times)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
military hospital WWI?
« on: Tuesday 15 March 16 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

my great-grandfather was in the Belgian army during WWI. In 1919, barely a couple of months after edit: a week before he was discharged from the army, he married my great-grandmother in Prittlewell, Essex. According to the marriage certificate, they were both living there (each on a different address though).

I am trying to find out how they might have met.

After the German attack on Antwerp in 1914, my gg-father was sent to England on October 2nd 1914, to a hospital in a place called Weymouth. In December, he was transferred to Folkestone to do an office job before being sent back to the front to fight, in Le Havre.
I don't know where my gg-mother was living or what she was doing at that exact time, but according to the 1911 census, she was living in Wood Green with her mother. She was born in Harringay and went to school there at first, before moving to Wood green in 1907 (according to the school records).

Of course, my romantic mind really wants her to be a nurse in the hospital where my gg-father was treated, but that is probably not very likely :)
I did find some records about a woman with the same name (Ethel Maud Graham) receiving a decoration for being a nurse. But there were severla Ethel M. Grahams so I'm not sure it is her...

So: do we have lists of military hospitals and their patients?
I found out that there was a hospital in Weymouth, Dorset, but someone told me that was primarily used for Australian soldiers.
There was a hospital at Weymouth Street in London as well, which would fit in better with my gg-mother, but that was only for officers (my gg-father was a "normal" soldier).

Any tips would be welcome!
Tom

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: military hospital WWI?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 13:28 GMT (UK) »
What was your great grandmothers date of birth, please?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: military hospital WWI?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 13:44 GMT (UK) »
What was your great grandmothers date of birth, please?

born: 4 October 1895, Harringay
baptised: 12 August 1898, Harringay

1901 census: living with mother in Harringay, age 5
1911 census: living with mother in Wood Green, age 15
marriage: 26 March 1919 in Prittlewell

(I was mistaken in my previous post; he was actually demobilized on March 31st 1919, less than a week after his marriage)