Author Topic: 118 High St Seven Oaks Kent-Grandma(deceased 1931) visited here-who were they?  (Read 5278 times)

Offline MattB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 118 High St Seven Oaks Kent-Grandma(deceased 1931) visited here-who were they?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 April 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
Of particular interest to me is that Cyril was twice mentioned in dispatches and awarded the Military Cross

1918 Sep 19 . Won the Military Cross. T./2nd Lt. (A./Capt.) Cyril John Whyntie,. 8th Bn., E. Surr. R. For conspicuous gallantry and leadership near Ronssoy on the 18th September, 1918. He held his company well together in the dense mist and kept them straight on their objective. Owing to the failure of troops in front to take the Green Lane the company soon found itself in the front line and met with heavy machine-gun fire. He at' once extended his company and pushed on, thereby gaining two thousand yards
of ground and reaching the Green Line.

I'll try and find an image of the shop but if you look at the postcard section of my website at sevenoaksww1.org you'll see a few images of what the High Street looked like around this time.

Matt
Follow me on twitter @7oaksww1 or please visit sevenoaksww1.org

Offline Bigfellow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 118 High St Seven Oaks Kent-Grandma(deceased 1931) visited here-who were they?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi. My great grandmother was Annie Frances Hartley, born 1866 and died 4 Mar 1938. Married William Whyntie. They lived in the High Street at Sevenoaks. I have photos of her and William if you are interested. Have done a lot of my family tree but mostly on the Whyntie side.

Whyntie remains a rare surname. Origins from Scotland. Do you have details of Annie's parents or photos please?

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 July 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
Bigfellow: Yes I am very interested in photos of Annie & Wiliam.  Which of their 5 children are you related? I have photos of Anne & Henry Hartley and Ethel (my Grandma) who is Annie's sister, also a photo of Frederick who went to New Zealand.
I would be more than glad to share the genealogy of the Hartleys and would also like to hear more of the Whyntie children.  I do not know how to forward photos be e-mail, and would prefer actual photos and would also be glad to mail same to you.  Our mail people may be going on strike or locked out with a few weeks, so would require mail sent very shortly.  How would I get these to you, and vice versa since I do not see a PM listed here for you.   Janet in London Canada.
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Offline Bigfellow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 July 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
Wonderful. Am happy to post some photos to you and would love to see the ones you mentioned. Cant private message yet until I have posted 3 times. Will do another soon then we can exchange addresses etc.
My grandfather was Fred Whyntie. His brother Cyril has relatives alive today and I am in touch.
Regards Adrian

Offline jon.deeprose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Re: Reply #18
My Grandfather Lt William Hickey MC received the MC whilst serving in the same battle near the village of Ronssoy on 18/9/18. Interested in visiting on the centenary, but can find no events?

Attached to East Surrey Regt, was a surgeon in a field casualty station

Offline Bigfellow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Jon, thanks for post. Has taken me to find out more about Jack Whyntie. I will mention this to an ex army friend of mine who does battlefield tours. I ought to visit one day. My grandfather also fought during WW1.

Offline jon.deeprose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Tks,

Just got this reply from Epehy....

Hello sir,
yes a commemoration is planned with an exhibition the weekend of September 15 and 16 in the village hall but it will remain visible all the next week in the big room of the retirement home. On September 18, the three British cemeteries will be honored (a march should join them) before regrouping at the retirement home in front of the exhibition with a small buffet to eat before going to the heights of the village where a fire artifice will recall the battles of today 100 years ago.
A conference should be added to this event as well as a small guided hike to see where were the different combat positions. In addition, we are still interested in anything that could be added to this program.
We keep the quote about your grandfather that could be exposed with his picture if you had it.
Cordially.
Michel Delaire