Author Topic: Descendants of James Alexander Cain and Edith Mary Miller  (Read 2968 times)

Offline John Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of James Alexander Cain and Edith Mary Miller
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 March 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link, dathai. You may well be right.
Kind Regards,
John

Offline elks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 May 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hello John Johnston.
I am new on RootsChat and new on MyHeritage, and by chance came over this posting. I live in Norway and my mother came from Falkink, Scotland. Her name was Edith Miller Cain, named after Edith Mary Miller above. Edith Mary Miller was married to my mother's uncle James Alexander Cain, and after his death she married George Ringland, whom for my mother alwas was "uncle George". All my life I heard of "aunt Edie", but never met her. I do not know very much of my mother's ancestors, as her parents died early. Unfortunately I do not know when Edith Mary Miller died, but it must have been around 1975. She stayed with relatives in Falkirk for a while, but moved back to Ireland, where she died. I think she lived in Wicklow. My mother and I went there once to find people that knew her. She and George Ringland had no children. Now I am searching for my grandfather's three sisters that are all in your paper, but so far I have not found anything. My grandfather was William Robert Cain, and there are so many persons with that name around (!) He died in 1940, so I never met him. But I am learning and hope for the best!

Offline John Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 May 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Elks,
Thank you for getting in touch. I have some more information for you.

Edith Mary Miller died 5 Mar 1983, Co. Down, Ireland and is buried in Saintfield Parish Churchyard, Co. Down. Husband George Ringland is not mentioned on headstone so he was most likely buried in Ringland family grave in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.

I have these probate details:
Ringland, George of Johnstown Lodge Ballyfermot Chapelizod county Dublin and of Bonny Blink Lisdoonan Saintfield county Down retired store keeper died 12 December 1964 at latter place. Probate Belfast 29 March to Edith Mary Ringland the widow. Effects £2092.

Alongside Edith's grave in Saintfield Parish Churchyard, Co. Down is a stone with:
Agnes Nora NAPIER 23 Aug. 1921 - 7 March 1979
and her sister
Margaret (Margery) HARPER 20 Nov. 1922 - 28 July 1996    Are these related?

I discovered that James Alexander Cain and Edith Mary Miller had a daughter:
Marjory Mary Trueman Cain, born 20 May 1915, 26 Murtagh Road, North Dublin but I haven't been able to find more about her. Can you help?

Best wishes,
John

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline John Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 May 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi dathai,

Thanks for your interest. Here is what I have found on the Trueman name:

1-William Robert Cain d. After 1885 Before 1911
 +Mary Trueman b. Abt 1845, Ireland, d. 1914, Greenock, Renfrewshire
|--2-Magaret Cain b. Abt 1873, Ireland
|   +Peter Watson m. 1915, Greenock, Renfrewshire
|--2-Mary Ann Cain b. Abt 1876, Ireland
|--2-James Alexander Cain b. Abt 1882, Ireland, d. 12 Jan 1933, 27 Columba
|    Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire
|   +Edith Mary Miller b. 27 Jan 1888, 22 Rodney St, Islington, c. 6 May 1888,
|    St Silas, Pentonville, Islington, m. 15 Jul 1914, St Paul's Church,
|    Dublin, d. 5 Mar 1983, Co. Down, Ireland, bur. Saintfield Parish
|    Churchyard, Co. Down, par. David Dughie Stevenson Miller and Mary Parker Cu
|    ndill
|  |--3-Marjory Mary Trueman Cain b. 20 May 1915, 26 Murtagh Road, North Dublin
|--2-Rebecca Cain b. Abt 1886, Renfrewshire

(There was a comma in the wrong place in my previous message.)

Regards,

John

Offline elks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 May 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Interesting news. Mary Cain (born Trueman) in 1845 was my great grandmother. Thanks also for more information about Edith Mary Miller (Cain/Ringland). You had found out that she and James Alexander Cain had a daughter, called Marjorie. I just checked with my Scottish cousin, and we both think that this daughter died as a little girl, around 4 years old. We have never heard about a grownup daughter, and that was why my mother was named after her "aunt Edie" when she was born in 1920, By that time I suppose little Marjorie was already dead. Marjorie was of course named after Edith's sister who died young - and after grandmother Mary Trueman.

The only thing I find very strange is why Edith Mary Miller (Cain/Ringland) is buried in county Down. As far as we know, she stayed in a home the last years of her life, but I would have thought that would be around or in Dublin or Wicklow.
Elks

Offline John Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 May 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again Elks,

That's sad news about wee Marjorie Mary Trueman Cain dying so young. Her mother's family had more than their share of family tragedies. Would Marjorie have died in Ireland or Scotland?

Re Edith Mary Miller's grave, note that her second husband George Ringland was living at Bonny Blink Lisdoonan Saintfield County Down at time of his death and that is probably where Edith died.

John

Offline John Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 May 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Since my last message, I checked both Irish and Scottish death indices and found that sadly, Marjorie Mary Trueman Cain died in Scotland (Greenock West, in 1917, aged I year, 564/2 238).
I have not seen the death certificate.

John