Author Topic: Robert Sands Kent  (Read 1704 times)

Offline mikegunnill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Sands Kent
« on: Wednesday 16 March 16 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a Robert Sands b1788 Hadlow, near Tonbridge Kent. In 1803 he had a brief apprenticeship but later the same year he had joined the Navy at Chatham. He joined HMS Temeraire until January 15th 1806.  After this date he just disappears.  No further Naval records of any sort, I have checked at Kew. Checked all possible books etc..  This would leave him in Portsmouth.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  Grateful for any help,

Thx Mike

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Sands Kent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial at East Peckham for a Robert Sands age 36 on 13 Oct 1826.   :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mikegunnill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial at East Peckham for a Robert Sands age 36 on 13 Oct 1826.   :-\

Thx Rosie99  I don't get that on my Ancestry system. I am grateful.

Mike

PS anything else?

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Robert Sands - The only one I can find is - East Peckham, 1788 son of Robert and Eleanor. There are a few more Sands around, but only one Robert. There is a Richard, born 25 July 1790, St Werburgh, Hoo, but he died in 1791. Then another one in 1793, but I think he died.. Also a marriage at Rochester between Sands and Fleet, March 1812...but this was a Richard.

Usually, when the Navy realise that they have an apprentice, they are quickly discharged.
It looks like Robert was someones servant, as he went with the Temeraire into 'Ordinary'.....then he disappears.

I see that there was two Robert Sands at Trafalgar. The other one is a Private on board the Dreadnought, mother lived at Tunbridge.

Any thoughts on where to turn next? I am off to Kew at the end of January, tracing the Temeraire men...post Trafalgar.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 December 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Mike . Here comes the spanner in the works . Looks like you have been concentrating on the wrong chap.☺

There is a comprehensive write up on Robert Sands On City Ark.

Quote a little bit here
 "Robert Sands was born in St. Margaret’s Parish, Rochester c.1787/1788 (National Archives, ADM36/15851), probably in what is now either St. Margaret’s Street, Rochester or Borstal. He was apprenticed to Matthew Lock of Chatham as a fisherman and dredgerman on 23 February 1803, as recorded in the Rochester City Archives (RCA/O2/19). His apprenticeship clearly didn’t fare well as by the time he joined HMS Temeraire aged 15 on 1 September 1803 he had already served in the harbour ships HMS Zealand and HMS Imperieuse. If Sands is indeed the author of the account he must have received a basic education, possibly in the Medway Towns. At least one nonconformist British School existed in the Medway Towns, Troy Town British School, Rochester, founded in 1774.
He was one of at least 99 men from the Medway Towns and surrounding villages who served at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805. He received prize money of £1 17s 8d after the battle, presumably in connection with Redoutable and Fougueux (p.2, lines 17-18)"

There is a lot more on
      http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?NewPath=Z4b_Maps&SearchWords=batle

Also a thread on here :-https://www.familytreeforum.com/archive/index.php/t-113453.html

Newspaper Article :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1492072/The-powder-monkeys-Trafalgar.html

Cheers Rog.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline mikegunnill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 December 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Mike . Here comes the spanner in the works . Looks like you have been concentrating on the wrong chap.☺

There is a comprehensive write up on Robert Sands On City Ark.

Quote a little bit here
 "Robert Sands was born in St. Margaret’s Parish, Rochester c.1787/1788 (National Archives, ADM36/15851), probably in what is now either St. Margaret’s Street, Rochester or Borstal. He was apprenticed to Matthew Lock of Chatham as a fisherman and dredgerman on 23 February 1803, as recorded in the Rochester City Archives (RCA/O2/19). His apprenticeship clearly didn’t fare well as by the time he joined HMS Temeraire aged 15 on 1 September 1803 he had already served in the harbour ships HMS Zealand and HMS Imperieuse. If Sands is indeed the author of the account he must have received a basic education, possibly in the Medway Towns. At least one nonconformist British School existed in the Medway Towns, Troy Town British School, Rochester, founded in 1774.
He was one of at least 99 men from the Medway Towns and surrounding villages who served at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805. He received prize money of £1 17s 8d after the battle, presumably in connection with Redoutable and Fougueux (p.2, lines 17-18)"

There is a lot more on
      http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?NewPath=Z4b_Maps&SearchWords=batle

Also a thread on here :-https://www.familytreeforum.com/archive/index.php/t-113453.html

Newspaper Article :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1492072/The-powder-monkeys-Trafalgar.html

Thank you both for your replies. I had moved on from the research after my feature was published in Bygone Kent Magazine.  I had seen the Medway Ark material and was fairly happy I had the right person, confirmed by them.  It is still very interesting and I would like to return to this in the future.

I am grateful.

Mike

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Just went back to my notes on Robert Sands, when the Temeraire was in 'Ordinary'.
It looks like he was servant of Francis Harris, Gunner. Robert 'Left his master' on the 17 May and was replaced by Francis Wolfe on 23 June.
Francis Harris was at Trafalgar with his son...also called Francis, who was born at Chatham and only 8 at the time. Francis (junior) went on to have a very long and fruitful life, spending many years at Palling in Norfolk before he died in 1883.
Anyway....Merry Christmas everyone. (I had better start wrapping some presents...or have a rum?..)

Offline mikegunnill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 December 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Just went back to my notes on Robert Sands, when the Temeraire was in 'Ordinary'.
It looks like he was servant of Francis Harris, Gunner. Robert 'Left his master' on the 17 May and was replaced by Francis Wolfe on 23 June.
Francis Harris was at Trafalgar with his son...also called Francis, who was born at Chatham and only 8 at the time. Francis (junior) went on to have a very long and fruitful life, spending many years at Palling in Norfolk before he died in 1883.
Anyway....Merry Christmas everyone. (I had better start wrapping some presents...or have a rum?..)

Thank you for this information, you did well with your research.  I am very grateful

Mike