Author Topic: SHAW'S of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .  (Read 11027 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHAW'S of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .
« on: Thursday 17 March 16 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have family of my Shaw's residing "Delachael" ??? Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs

1841 census to 1901 ~ A William Shaw son of Alexander Shaw & Isabella McIntosh B;1841/42

William Shaw married a "Mary Laing" B; 1854 at Glenmuick in 1875

Daughter to Peter Laing & Mary Allan 

13 years his Junior . . .

I have one son born 1892 a James Shaw 17 years after his marriage . . .

This being my direct family line . . .

Anyone got any ideas as to who the other children may be and dates/places of birth . . .

Alexander Shaw married a Isobel McIntosh . . .

William Shaw married Mary Laing

James Shaw B: 1892 Olrig married a Helen McGregor B: 1982 in "Towie" 1914

One child being my Grand father Donald Shaw B: 1919 ~ leochel Cushnie 

Does anyone have any idea who his brothers & sister may be and to where they may have
been born . . . ?

Also to where "William & Mary" may be buried . . .

Any information relating to this family would be of a great help to me . . .

Many thanks . . .

Indiana . . . A Shaw through & through  ;D 

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW'S OF TOMINTOUL ~ KIRKMICHAEL ~ BANFFS ~ ABERDEENSHIRE . . .
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look at Libindx, a free site run by Moray Council. If you do a people search there, you will find some useful material. For example, I found that your Alexander Shaw died 25-11-1880, farmed at "Delachule", married Isabel McIntosh at Tomintoul 21-8-1832. His parents were William Shaw, a farmer, who died 3-12-1826, and Euphemia Grant. There is probably a reference to a gravestone somewhere there.

Another useful site is the National Library of Scotland maps website. It gives you free access to old maps of the area. Best look at the 19th century 6" Ordnance Survey maps, which you find under "Series Maps".

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW'S OF TOMINTOUL ~ KIRKMICHAEL ~ BANFFS ~ ABERDEENSHIRE . . .
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
There is probably a reference to a gravestone somewhere there.

Yes.

William Shaw d 1826 has 'Headstone Ref' Km171. Km is the LIBINDX abbreviation for Kirkmichael. Eight other members of the family are commemorated on Tst84. Tst is St Michael's Kirkyard in Tomintoul. You can search LIBINDX using only the 'Headstone Ref' to get the lists of all eight people.

There is a list of the LIBINDX abbreviations under 'Help/Advice' at the top of the menu on the left.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SHAW'S OF "DELACHULE" TOMINTOUL, BANFFS
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 16 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a property owned by my great great grand father Alexander Shaw B:1803 with his wife Isobel (McIntosh) then owned by my great grand father Alexander's son William Shaw B: 1841 and his wife Mary (Laing) in "Delachule" just south off Military road "Tomintoul" . . .

Alexander was a farm labourer . . .

His son William B:1841 was a shepherd . . .

And also as to where any of this family members may have be buried . . .

Any information on this family would be gratefully received . . .

Indiana . . . Still on the trail . . . : )

Topics merged.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SHAWS of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
For Delachule see http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1816

am looking for a property owned by my great great grand father Alexander Shaw B:1803 with his wife Isobel (McIntosh) then owned by my great grand father Alexander's son William Shaw

I will be very surprised if your Shaws actually owned Delachule. It was very much the exception for a farmer to own his farm in the early 19th century, never mind a farm labourer or shepherd. This land was part of the Gordon estates that were made over to the Crown in lieu of death duties in about 1929. You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and check the earliest available valuation roll. This will tell you the names of the proprietor, tenant and (if applicable) occupier of the farm.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW'S of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi.  We have a cottage along the road from where Delachule was.  I am sorry to say that the original building burnt down (not sure when, but 1900's, not earlier).  I hear from neighbours that the temporary pre-fab house on the roadside was built as a replacement whilst the original was re-built, but sadly it never was.  I need to have a look at my family as we had some cross-overs with Delachule.  There are lots of old maps that show the house - look at the National Library for Scotland map section and there are maps from 1600's.
Ali

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali

Wow thanks for that bit of information ~ only to say I am sadden to hear it was burnt down and was never rebuilt : (

Sure will look at maps but a little unsure as to how to determine which would have actually been their house

Was there a name to the farm to indicate that this actually was their home from the many others that were also built the road side of Delachule ?

So if I was to visit Tomintoul then go on down military road to Delachule would I find it to the left or the right of the road

I will check the maps as asked but a real history lesson as yours is just so wonderful and I can't thank you enough for the knowledge you have given

On checking on google there is actually a pre-fab house single floor still in use today and if this was the temporary house that was then built

My grandfather was born 1917 but there are brothers and a sister born before him

So all of this could go to explain as to why I can not find their births they could well of been on the move because of this fire

Sadden but at the same time glad to receive some kind of news on it

I do intend to visit Tomintoul to see their graves of William and Euphermia Shaw (Grant) B: 1770 and 1773 who then went on to die and be buried in Tomintoul as to other members of the family

My great great great great grandparents Children are as follows . . .

Donald Shaw b: 24 MAY 1795 in Kirkmichael, Banff, Scotland
William Shaw b: ABT 1798 in Kirkmichael, Banff, Scotland
Jane Shaw b: ABT 1800 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
Alexander Shaw b: ABT 1802 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Alexander Shaw being my great great great grandfather . . .

Name: Alexander Shaw

Birth: ABT 1802 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Death: 25 NOV 1879 in Delachule, Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Marriage to Isabella McIntosh b: ABT 1812 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Children

Elspet Shaw b: ABT 1836 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
William Shaw b: ABT 1841 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
Isabella Shaw b: ABT 1842 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
Euphemia Shaw b: ABT 1845 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
Alexander Shaw b: ABT 1847 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
James Shaw b: ABT 1850 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

His wife . . .

William born 1841 was my great great grandfather . . .

Name: William Shaw
Birth: ABT 1841 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Married Mary Anne Laing b: 15 MAR 1853 in Banchory-Ternan, Kincardine, Scotland
c: 19 JUN 1854 in Banchory-Ternan, Kincardine, Scotland

Married: 27 OCT 1875 in Glenmuick, Aberdeen, Scotland

Children

Mary Shaw b: ABT 1874 in Banchory-Ternan, Kincardine, Scotland
William Shaw b: ABT 1877 in Skene, Aberdeen, Scotland
Donald Shaw b: ABT 1880 in Banchory-Ternan, Kincardine, Scotland
James Shaw b: ABT 1893 in Keig, Aberdeen, Scotland

James Shaw being my great grandfather 

JAMES SHAW BORN: 29 SEP 1892 ~ Pond Cottage ~ Keig

James Shaw Married Helen McGregor : 28 AUG 1914 in Towie in Aberdeenshire

F: James McGregor B:

M: Helen McGregor B:

Children

Margaret Shaw B: ? ? ?

William Shaw B: ? ? ?

Alexander Shaw B: ? ? ?

Donald Shaw B: 15/11/1917 in Leochel ~ Cushnie

James Shaw B: ? ? ?

So any other information on the family would gratefully received

I will also check on any information that relates to the fire

It would also be nice to know a little about you as to your name as that would also be interesting to know

Wow and thanks again for making my day . . . : )

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 March 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there again.  Sorry to have been bringer of bad news about the building! Yes, the pre-fab is still there and still occupied.  I don't know them, but my friends along the road would.  I am Ali Campbell and I actually live in Aberdeen.  We have no family roots in Banffshire, but we own a cottage there - Lagganvoulin - about a mile along the road from Delachule.  The old maps show that the original Delachule was on the left hand side if travelling down the military road from Tomintoul to the south (so the pre-fab is not on the actual site, but across the road from it).  The Roy Military map (1700s) actually shows it on the far side of the River Conglass as well as the road, but most of the other old maps show it inbetween the river and the road.  If you search for Moray SMR on the web, and put in Delachule it will take you to a record NJ11NE0054.  This was results from a survey of all the old ruins in the area in the early 2000's and it describes what the farmstead would have been.  I am busy tracing the family/ies that lived in Lagganvoulin and working out how they lived, inter-married and had children with all the different houses nearby, and also what took them to move away.  It is fascinating.  If you need help with finding old maps etc let me know, but the National Library of Scotland is great (once you get the hang of it).  Moray Heritage may also give you free access to maps.  Our cottage has its own website which has internal pictures which may give you an idea of how a cottage would have looked.  It also has photos taken very locally -  www.lagganvoulin.co.uk
If your Shaws were RC they would be in the RC graveyard in the village.  My old families will probably be in Kirkmichael cemetery to the north of Tomintoul, although later ones might be in the village itself.  I haven't looked yet, but we are up in a week or two so I will hope to drag the kids around!  Alexander Shaw is certainly listed as tenant at 'Dellachoul' from at least 1855 (paying £17 rent annually), until 1915 when he was paying £18.  In 1925 and 1930 it says the rent is payable by the 'Reps of Alexander Shaw'.  By 1930, the rent was down to £10 and 10 shillings.  I will try the news articles later when I have time to see if I can find out when the fire was, and my neighbour up there may know, as it was her who told me about it.  My only link that I can see with Delachule (to Lagganvoulin) is the illegitimate birth of James Steward on 31st July 1834 - to William Stewart of Lagganvoulin, and Betty McGregor of Delashlule.  James seems to have been brought up as a Stewart at Lagganvoulin.  Not sure what happened to Betty, or who she was.
What I am really keen for is to stumble on some old photos of the cottages in the area, or their inhabitants.  The museum in Tomintoul is going to be under renewal soon (or is already) so I may have to wait before I can approach them to trawl their stuff!  I will keep you in mind as I continue my search for local history!
Ali

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
PS Tenancy of the cottage/farm seems to have been taken over by a John Grant by 1931.