Author Topic: SHAW'S of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .  (Read 11054 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW'S of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
Just been reading through this tonight & what a shock ending.

I hope the woman is ok?

This is such a strange coincidence in genealogical terms.

It was on BBC News just before the fire caught hold;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37595766

Condolences,

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 13 July 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Pretty sad to hear of the chalet - I had high hopes of stopping over there for a quick holiday and to do some research in the area - I read in the news the lady in question took in injured birds so that in itself is a sad loss to the area as well - a dog was lost never to be found and the poor woman in question was sofa surfing for a fair while - so I sincerely hope a home has been found for her now and "yus" how strange for history to have repeated itself - it was with interest to know how the farm itself burned down and now the redeeming curse that seems to take itself over to the chalet too - may I say a heartfelt to all that have given me so much information in regard of Delachule and about my family too - kind regards Indiana Shaw x

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 30 September 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
Just been reading through this tonight & what a shock ending.

I hope the woman is ok?

This is such a strange coincidence in genealogical terms.

It was on BBC News just before the fire caught hold;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37595766

Condolences,

Annie

Yes Annie - Such a saddening weird coincidence - I heard later the woman was ok but one of the dogs ran off and was never found again and that weird coincidence has remained on my thoughts ever since - was Delachule cursed I wonder and how lucky was she to have had 5 men passing by on their whiskey tour holiday - many thanks to all of them and the fire brigade . . .

Kind regards Indiana . . .

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 October 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Ha!  I thought you were in Indiana, USA!! 
Yes Delachule would just be the actual farm, not an area.  I drove slowly past today to have a look.  traveling south with the prefab on my right.  There are obvious signs of where the house was on the left - you can see the flat footprint very clearly.  There is also a substantial shed type building immediately to the North of it which I guess was part of the farm.  I will indeed try to find out about who has been there more recently - although my neighbours have only been there for 17 years, not as far back as the 1989's, but I am sure they will know who to ask in the village.
Thanks for the info about Betty - I will have to look at it again - but I don't think it is 'my' Betty.  Although it might be my William Stuart - will have to think it all through.  My Betty was a McGregor at Delachule and although her son was James Stuart, he took his fathers name.  Maybe she did become Betty Stewart/Stuart, but this was not her maiden name - she was a McGregor.  Sadly the 1841 census doesn't give relationships to the head of the house.  I suspect she was probably a servant or a more distant relative.
Will have to check if we were Johnstons or Johnsons - can never remember.  They were the female line, marrying my male line 'Grey's'.  All over Northumberland, tweed mouth, Berwick, ord.  My mother is still in Berwick, and her cousin did all that side of the family.
Ali

My grandmother was a Grey/Gray Bedlington . . .

Offline xscot1312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 17 December 20 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
Apologies as this thread is old but I have just come across this site. I have some information on the Shaw's of Tomintoul that may help, I believe there are two Shaw lines (apologies if I am wrong). Alexander Shaw 1785 died in Glenmullie in 1865 and is from a different Shaw family line, he married Elspet Gordon in Stronavaich. I am related to this side of the Shaw line. I hope this helps.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 December 20 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
Apologies as this thread is old but I have just come across this site. I have some information on the Shaw's of Tomintoul that may help, I believe there are two Shaw lines (apologies if I am wrong). Alexander Shaw 1785 died in Glenmullie in 1865 and is from a different Shaw family line, he married Elspet Gordon in Stronavaich. I am related to this side of the Shaw line. I hope this helps.

Hello Scot, Yes, as you can imagine this family threw me, here we have 2 Alexander Shaws near living next to each other, was his first wife not Isabella too, and I can see your block here, as on checking for a William Shaw born 1841, my William Shaw married in 1875 age up as 34 making him born 1841, but he was Baprized in 1839, but; following the censuses he remains born in 1841, so it did confuse me into thinking was he the son of your Alexander, I know my Alexander Shaw did work for your Alexander Shaw, confused to say the least, going back to your Alexander Shaw born 1865 this making him a fair bit older than my William Shaw born appox 1753/54 . . .

Do you know who your Alexander Shaw born 1765 father was and where either was born, and yes, that Duncan, I also remember trying to follow him through and getting no where . . .

But; it always bugged me as why poor old William didn't know his own birth year, but; could always recall he was born in 1841, so on checking the only Willian Shaw born 1841 was to William Shaw who married a Grace Stuart, this William Shaw is in fact my Alexander Shaw's brother born in 1797, but; as this William Shaw went on marry someone else, it sometimes makes me wonder if the priests got their info mixed up at times, as my William Shaw baprized married in Candy Craig, Glenmuick, I was like what on earth is he doing down there, but; as ever there are always 2 place names named alike, as there was were in fact 2 Tomintouls, the other being in Braemar, in Braemer in 1749 I think was a Duncan Shaw who had 3 sons, maybe not in order, a James, Donald and a William, the interseting thing here is the movement, bringing cattle down from the likes of Aviemore down the Lairig Ghuu for the warmer winter climate into Breamar, had me thinking and then with a track road leading up to Inchory, I see where are lot are coming and going, I even thought giving movement and other marriages did this Duncan Shaw end up in Deeside with another wife, wild thoughts as I find everything crossed linked, Duncan Shaw factor to Barmorale, and factor to 2 or 3 other places as well, come on we are just the poor lot, so how come we are always stood next to the posh lot all the time, I wonder, so if you are who you are if you have a connection to the Easter Lair Shaws/Farquharsons too . . .

I found no connection to Alexander Shaw of Glenmullie born 1865 either, but; I would have to check more on that, don't you just hate second even third marriages, but; I often wondered why your Alexander Shaw ended up in Glenmullie in the first place, and yes I see your problem with his son Duncan . . .

Any info you have on our side of the Shaws would go along way if you are happy to give it . . .

Giving myself something to do I am going over the Duncan Shaw thing again, considering his father's wealth, status and connections could Duncan have married else where, even gone to London to do so, as I remember something on this, where I could not prove if the parents were one of the same, or if there was I was not prepared to buy any certs to prove otherwise due not being related, let me go over that one again, but; I was sure there a Duncan Shaw born Scotland who married on the censuses, don't hold me to that, maybe with what you know of him you could give it a bash, given Alexander Shaw what do you have on him, was he not a military man, this would clearly show on Duncan's marriage cert if we could find it . . .

Check on Edinburgh too just in case . . .

So what do we have on our lot, my Alexander Shaw gets baptized in 1802, sponsers Alexander Farquharson and Elspet Gordon, and he gets married in 1832 in the presence of the Duke of Gordon, if we do not do posh, we surely rub shoulders with them, he he he . . .  :-X

Indiana . . .

Offline xscot1312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 December 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Wow this is so interesting thanks for the information and the time taken to reply. I have taken the original research from a family member who started this over 20 years ago, although around 40 years ago there was an original family tree logged by each generation which I remember but was lost in a house move. I remember lots of information about job roles and outlaws !! My grandmother always stated we were related to the House of Stuart so I will always believe this. Third generation down from Alexander Shaw one family member moved to Fort William and had a son (my grandfather) who then moved to Edinburgh, so my immediate family is from Edinburgh. 
The earliest Alexander Shaw I know of is - Alexander ‘Alistair’ Shaw of ‘Inchrory’ possibly in Glen Avon, near Tomintoul, married  Elspet Farquharson. But I have yet to look further into this for dates etc.
Their daughter Janet Shaw married Duncan Shaw 9 March 1791 - child Alexander Shaw converted to Catholicism b.1785, Crathie (v near Balmoral Castle) d. 23 Apr 1865, Glenmullie married Elspet Gordon (b 18 Sep 1792 - although maybe 1793 as 2 birth records filled 1 year apart, her father was John Gordon) married on 7 April 1817. They had 7 children. Elspet died in childbirth with their last child. Father John Shaw was also one of their children - he had a very interesting life. my family have an original oil painting of him. According to later censuses Alexander's new wife was Isabella Munro but I cannot find any other information on her.  Not sure if I have a connection to the Easter Lair Shaws/Farquharsons also but still have lots more research to do. My mothers side of the family was so much simpler. Our Shaws are a complex bunch. Happy to share the family tree information I have, let me know if interested.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 December 20 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Wow this is so interesting thanks for the information and the time taken to reply. I have taken the original research from a family member who started this over 20 years ago, although around 40 years ago there was an original family tree logged by each generation which I remember but was lost in a house move. I remember lots of information about job roles and outlaws !! My grandmother always stated we were related to the House of Stuart so I will always believe this. Third generation down from Alexander Shaw one family member moved to Fort William and had a son (my grandfather) who then moved to Edinburgh, so my immediate family is from Edinburgh. 
The earliest Alexander Shaw I know of is - Alexander ‘Alistair’ Shaw of ‘Inchrory’ possibly in Glen Avon, near Tomintoul, married  Elspet Farquharson. But I have yet to look further into this for dates etc.
Their daughter Janet Shaw married Duncan Shaw 9 March 1791 - child Alexander Shaw converted to Catholicism b.1785, Crathie (v near Balmoral Castle) d. 23 Apr 1865, Glenmullie married Elspet Gordon (b 18 Sep 1792 - although maybe 1793 as 2 birth records filled 1 year apart, her father was John Gordon) married on 7 April 1817. They had 7 children. Elspet died in childbirth with their last child. Father John Shaw was also one of their children - he had a very interesting life. my family have an original oil painting of him. According to later censuses Alexander's new wife was Isabella Munro but I cannot find any other information on her.  Not sure if I have a connection to the Easter Lair Shaws/Farquharsons also but still have lots more research to do. My mothers side of the family was so much simpler. Our Shaws are a complex bunch. Happy to share the family tree information I have, let me know if interested.

Before I even get into reading this, here is a clip of Duncan Shaw's birth in case you have not got it, and a clip of the 1851 census, I was away looking for Alexander's birth as it said he was born Aberdeenshire, but; you popped it with it, yes, we are on the correct trail, Duncan Shaw as I have said was the factor for Barmoral, and more besides, so before we finish lets start, the Shaws, Farquharsons, Grants and the McGregors, and the Munros are from Nairn, in Inverness as far back as you can go, then basically you can go in circles, for each time they moved on by war evictions, up and down and around, in the 12 centary the Shaws were as far down the south of England before returning, and else where in the world, Ireland too, your past in Tomintoul rests in the kirkyard of Kirkmichael, your Munros are in there, as well as the Farquharsons and Shaws, and yes, you belong to the house of Stuart, my Granny whose family are from Okney Isles was born in Morningside, Edinburgh, so there you go, my Grandfather and dad, Aberdeen, you lot need to go one step further and see if your dad will go in for a D.N.A test as there are more shocks to come . . .  :o