Author Topic: SHAW'S of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .  (Read 11028 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW'S of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 March 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
PPS  Looking at your research interests - I knew a family of Hindhaughs in Berwick upon Tweed (Northumberland).  Also, I am related to Johnsons in Berwick and Northumberland!  A research project for another afternoon!
ali

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 March 16 15:07 BST (UK) »
Blimey you are amazing Ali ~ it will take me while to digest that bit of information ~ but I do believe it is the only pre- fab house on that bit of road . . .

Well Ali Campbell from Aberdeen do we know each other in some way I wonder . . . ?

My grand father Donald Shaw born 1917 was born Leochel - Cushnie ~ Banffs . . .

But was residing 38 Dee St ~ Aberdeen in 1937 where he then went to Edinburgh to marry my Grandmother Elenanor Manson Johnston in 1937 . . .

Returning to Aberdeen . . .

Resulting in 2 of their sons being born in Aberdeen . . .

My father "Thomas Johnston Shaw" 1938

And my uncle "Terence Linden Shaw" 1945

No need to ask if we have got Campbell's in the family thanks to the ladies of the family . . . : )

So much there to digest . . .

But I am sure you are on the right trail . . .

William Shaw B: 1770
Euphemia Grant B: 1773

A big ask but is there any way you can find out who owned the property in 1986 as in the pre-fab and who then bought the property there after ~ because I believe we held some connection to it up till up to then but may I add I cannot be sure . . .

And then a John Grant taking over the property in 1931 . . .

Swings and roundabouts I love it . . .

Sure I would love to know more . . .

Bless you Ali ~ I cannot thanks you enough ~ I really can't . . . : )

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 March 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
Ali

Are we talking about the same Betsy Stuart here . . .

BETSY STUART B: ABT 1836

Name: Jane Shaw
Birth: ABT 1800 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
Death: 28 JAN 1883 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Father: William Shaw B: ABT 1770 in Kirkmichael, Banff, Scotland
Mother: Euphemia Grant B: ABT 1773 in Kirkmichael, Banff, Scotland

Marriage Alexander Stuart B: ABT 1800 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Children

Betsy Stuart B: ABT 1836 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
Jane Stuart B: ABT 1838 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
William Stuart B: ABT 1840 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland
Alexander Stuart B: ABT 1843 in Tomintoul, Banff, Scotland

Sources:
1.   Title: SR 1883 Deaths District of Tomintoul, County of Banff
Page: page 1

Dear me . . .

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SHAWs of Tomintoul ~ Kirkmichael ~ Banffs ~ Aberdeenshire . . .
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 March 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
A big ask but is there any way you can find out who owned the property in 1986 as in the pre-fab and who then bought the property there after ~ because I believe we held some connection to it up till up to then but may I add I cannot be sure . . .

This information will be in the 1985/6 Valuation Roll for Banffshire, which is a list of all properties, and tells you the names of the proprietor, tenant and occupier. The VRs can be consulted in various places including some local libraries, the Local Heritage Centre in Elgin, Archives in Aberdeen and Edinburgh and the National Library of Scotland. There should also be copies in the British Library, National Library of Wales, the Library of Trinity College in Dublin, the Cambridge University Library, and the Bodleian Library in Oxford.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 March 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Ello Ali

Thanks for all the information ~ did I tell you I live in Newcastle upon Tyne . . . ?

Holiday in order I think to Tomintoul . . .

I also presume Delachule is the farm as a whole and not a place . . . 

As far as Kirkyards are concerned . . .

William Shaw died in 1826 I think just as one of the churches was being built in Tomintoul . . .

But there are Shaws in the R.C church yard so it will be interesting to see if there was any change in
religion there . . .

Ali I can't thank you enough for all the help you have given . . .

x x x

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 April 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
Ha!  I thought you were in Indiana, USA!! 
Yes Delachule would just be the actual farm, not an area.  I drove slowly past today to have a look.  Travelling south with the prefab on my right.  There is obvious signs of where the house was on the left - you can see the flat footprint very clearly.  There is also a substantial shed type building immediately to the North of it which I guess was part of the farm.  I will indeed try to find out about who has been there more recently - although my neighbours have only been there for 17 years, not as far back as the 1989's, but I am sure they will know who to ask in the village.
Thanks for the info about Betty - I will have to look at it again - but I don't think it is 'my' Betty.  Although it might be my William Stuart - will have to think it all through.  My Betty was a McGregor at Delachule and although her son was James Stuart, he took his fathers name.  Maybe she did become Betty Stewart/Stuart, but this was not her maiden name - she was a McGregor.  Sadly the 1841 doesn't give relationships to the head of house.  I suspect she was probably a servant or a more distant relative.
Will have to check if we were Johnstons or Johnsons - can never remember.  They were the female line, marrying my male line 'Grey's'.  All over northumberland, tweed mouth, berwick, ord.  My mother is still in Berwick, and her cousin did all that side of the family.
Ali

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 April 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
I happened to have occasion to go into Elgin today, and I popped into the Library and had a look as some of the Valuation Rolls for Dellachule.

1877/8 Dellachoul. Proprietor Duke of Richmond and Gordon. Tenant and occupier Alexander Shaw. Years of lease: none. Yearly rent or value £22 0s 0d.
1975/6. House and garage, Dellachule. Under reconstruction.

I have some later ones but as they refer to people who may still be living I'll send them to you in a PM.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 April 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
So if I was to visit Tomintoul then go on down military road to Delachule would I find it to the left or the right of the road
If you drive south-east from Tomintoul towards the Lecht, Delachule was on the left. It is marked on the seventh series one-inch map printed in 1962. See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.2433&lon=-3.3549&layers=5

The chalet is on the opposite side of the road, i.e. on the right as you come from Tomintoul. From the look of the chalet I would be surprised if it was built in the early 1900s. Much more likely to have been in the second half of the 20th century.

So all of this could go to explain as to why I can not find their births they could well of been on the move because of this fire.
I suspect the reason you can't find their births has nothing to do with the fire, and everything to do with the fact that births after 1914 are not available online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Book yourself a day in the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh, and you will be able to look at all these births. It's only a train journey away, and the Centre is just across Princes Street from Waverley Station.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 April 16 18:41 BST (UK) »
Alexander Shaw is certainly listed as tenant at 'Dellachoul' from at least 1855 (paying £17 rent annually), until 1915 when he was paying £18.  In 1925 and 1930 it says the rent is payable by the 'Reps of Alexander Shaw'.  By 1930, the rent was down to £10 and 10 shillings. 

If this is from the Valuation Rolls, the yearly rents quoted there are not necessarily the rents actually paid by the tenant to the landlord. The Valuation Rolls, certainly the later ones, were an assessment made by the Assessor of the notional value based on a whole range of criteria such as the number and size of rooms and the amenities of the property. All properties were assessed by the same rules, and the resulting notional annual rent was used to calculate the actual rates (local taxes) payable to the council by the proprietor, tenant or occupier.