Author Topic: Armagh Tierney  (Read 872 times)

Offline Pautie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armagh Tierney
« on: Thursday 17 March 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Glasgow Poor records give my Great-grandfather x 2 birthplace as County Armagh. How do I find out where in Armagh?
He died in Glasgow in 1885 aged 46 which puts his birthyear abt. 1839. Various census records suggest his birthyear as anywhere between 1938-43. His parents Patrick Tierney and Elizabeth Ramsay were married in Glasgow in 1846. Census show his 3 siblings were all born in Glasgow, Thomas born abt. 1838, Alice 1851 & Patrick 1854.
I found a death cert. for the mother, Elizabeth Ramsay for 29th Dec 1870 in Glasgow, aged 75 but can't find death cert for the father, Patrick. Census records state both parents were born in Ireland.
Any advice?
Paul

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Armagh Tierney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 16 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if there were more children born between 1838 and 1851 when the youngest two show up on the census, or if Elizabeth Ramsey was the second wife, and not your great-grandfather's mother (which seems to be the case if the birth dates are correct).

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 16 18:46 GMT (UK) »
hi paul what  was his name  ????   tierney

Offline Pautie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 16 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen, Can't find any other children born between 1838 - 1851.  You make a very valid point that Elizabeth Ramsay was most likely Patrick's second wife and not the mother of oldest child Thomas or my GG x 2 (John).  I hoped to locate Patrick's death certificate which would confirm names of his spouse(s).

Hi DORAN54- apologies, I omitted to mention his name was John Tierney. :-[