Author Topic: Confused about how "Grandma" fits in  (Read 2448 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confused about how "Grandma" fits in
« on: Thursday 17 March 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
On the 1881 census for Beccles, Ingate W Cable is head of household and living with him is his father William Cable 64, mother Deborah Cable 63 and his grandmother Elizabeth Baker widow age 79 b Rumburgh.

Piece:1898 Folio: 28 Page: 17/18

William and Deborah married in Ditchingham in 1837 - the record gives his surname as Keable. Her maiden name was Ingate, both her parents died when she was young (Samuel Ingate and Martha nee Garwood) so Elizabeth Baker has to be related to William Cable.
From census records William was born in Saxmundham and from marriage record his father was John. I have found a baptism in Saxmundham on 5 Jan 1817 of a William Cable s/o John and Elizabeth Cable. So his mother is called Elizabeth but she would be much older than Elizabeth Baker.
Going through 1841/51/61 censuses, I find an Elizabeth Baker b Rumburgh abt 1801/2 wife of David Baker shoemaker and in 1861 a 19 year old Ingate Cable is lodging with them. So it looks like she might be the Elizabeth Baker in Ingate's household in 1881.
I can't find David and Elizabeth in 1871 and David's death anytime between 1861 and 1881.

Can anyone please find anything more about this mysterious woman and how she is actually related to the Cables

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about how "Grandma" fits in
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
"but she would be much older than Elizabeth Baker"

Is that just based on her not having a son when she was only 15?

If so, I would be exploring the possibility that William's father died and his mother Elizabeth Cable married David Baker before 1841
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Both David and Elizabeth Baker say they were born in Rumburgh. I can't find a marriage in Rumburgh or anywhere in Suffolk / Norfolk for a David Baker and Elizabeth in the right time frame. But I have just found a marriage in Rumburgh for John Cable of Saxmundham and Elizabeth Reynolds of Rumburgh on 8 July 1816, so it does start looking as if Elizabeth Baker might actually be the grandmother. But if the birth year is right she would be married at 14 or 15, could that be possible. The record (Freereg) does say marriage with consent of parents, implying under 21.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you think this might be a possibility? - haven't yet looked to see if they are on census under name of Hansey

There’s this marriage FreeReg2

Elizabeth Cable to David Baker Hansey
St Michael Rumburgh 6 Nov 1834
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ha2/

The will of David Baker Hansey late of Rumburgh Shoemaker & Farmer deceased
died 13 June 1862 aforesaid was proved Ipswich by the oath of Elizabeth Hansey, Widow  of Rumburgh sole executrix Probate Date: 7 Oct 1862
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:22 GMT (UK) »
It would be very, very rare for a 14 or 15 year old to have a child at that time.  Its not impossible, but other than royalty, it was very unusual.  Its quite possible her age is incorrect on the census or, in fact, she or a relative didn't actually know how old she was.  As consent would legally have beenr required up to the age of 21, she could still have been close to that age.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
from FreeReg2 -

David Baker Hansey 's burial 1862 age 65 (born c1797)
Notes says commonly known as David Baker

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ha3/

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.
The marriage of David Baker Hansey looks like it might be right, I had only be looking for David Baker and hadn't tried the other way round. The occupation is right on the probate (shoemaker). I have found a baptism for a David Baker in Rumburgh 7 Jan 1798 father Elijah Baker mother Elizabeth Hansey, which fits with names and age on census. Probably illegitimate, but used his natural father's name. Also a baptism for an Elizabeth Reynolds in July 1801 her birthdate is given as 11 Jun 1801. So that could be her and she was 15 years and 3 weeks when married, with William on the way. It is now all fitting together despite my misgivings about her being too young to be the grandmother. Just need to find John Cable's death to tidy it all up. John cable had a daughter Elizabeth baptised in 1819, then no more children that I can find - at least not in Saxmundham, so he might have died quite early, leaving her as a widow with two children before she was 20. Or he could have died shortly before she married David or any time in between.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi There is a burial 10th March 1890 of an Elizabeth Baker aged 85 Saxmundham?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I have found a baptism for a David Baker in Rumburgh 7 Jan 1798 father Elijah Baker mother Elizabeth Hansey,

For info.

One of the witnesses to the marriage of Elizabeth Cable to David Baker Hansey was a
Robert Baker

There's a private baptism for a Robert Baker 1811 Rumburgh parents Eli(z)ah Baker &
Elizabeth Hansey http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ha4/

marriage Elijah Baker to Elizabeth Hansey 4 Jan 1804 St Michael Rumburgh
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ha5/