Author Topic: Reilley from Youghals, Cork to Montreal, Quebec, Canada  (Read 1133 times)

Offline conniegnly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reilley from Youghals, Cork to Montreal, Quebec, Canada
« on: Friday 18 March 16 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Ellen Reilley, b. April 1843 in Youghals, Cork, Ireland to Thomas Reilley and Honora Giles (1820-).  She immigrated to Montreal, Quebec, Canada (date unknown).  She married Alfred Lamb a British soldier in 1866 at St Patrick's Church of England in Montreal.  Both parents are listed as deceased on the marriage record of 1866, so both died before that date.  I am wanting to find out more about the parents in Youghals, County Cork and more about when Ellen immigrated and any information surrounding that family.  Can anyone give me some ideas of where to look?  I've checked FamilySearch.org and the Irish sights mentioned on RootsChat.com.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reilley from Youghals, Cork to Montreal, Quebec, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello & welcome to Rootschat.  What denomination was Ellen?  There are a lot of sources online for her mothers family of Giles. Have a look at www.nationalarchives.ie for Tithe Applotment records & Griffith Valuation records.
www.corkpastandpresent.ie/1856slatersdirectorycorkcityandcounty  which mentions THOMAS REILLY on Page 379 @ North Main Street Youghal Co Cork Occupation Locksmith & Bell Hanger.
You could also google Landed Estates Database for Munster and you will see lots of information on the Giles family who were very substantial Land owners.  Also Richard & George Giles established a Bank in Youghal in 1799.

I had a look at www.nli.registers.ie which has  Catholic church baptisms & marriages for ireland including Youghal but didnt see an entry for Ellen. I suspect the Giles family could have been Church of Ireland or Methodist. Civil registration wasnt introduced in Ireland until 1864 so you would have to rely on church records.

I do know that Ships left from Youghal bringing immigrants to various parts of the world so possible Ellen left from there. :)
Ellen Reilley, b. April 1843 in Youghals, Cork, Ireland to Thomas Reilley and Honora Giles (1820-).  She immigrated to Montreal, Quebec, Canada (date unknown).  She married Alfred Lamb a British soldier in 1866 at St Patrick's Church of England in Montreal.  Both parents are listed as deceased on the marriage record of 1866, so both died before that date.  I am wanting to find out more about the parents in Youghals, County Cork and more about when Ellen immigrated and any information surrounding that family.  Can anyone give me some ideas of where to look?  I've checked FamilySearch.org and the Irish sights mentioned on RootsChat.com.

Offline conniegnly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, this has been very helpful.  I did find Thomas Reilley on the Cork Past and Present website. 
I don't know what religion Ellen was, but she was married in the Church of England in Montreal, so I wonder if she wasn't from the Church of Ireland, however, she married an English soldier, so who knows. 
I googled the Giles name under the Landed Estates Database and it said "Property owned by Henrietta Giles in the barony of Duhallow and the town of Youghal was sold in the Incumbered Estates Court in June 1853."  Does that mean they went bankrupt?  I did find the Richard and George Giles bank established in 1799 in Youghal. 
So to find Honora Giles and Thomas Reilley marriage or ancestry, I would need to determine which church records I need to find? 
Thanks so much for your assistance?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 16 05:07 GMT (UK) »
A couple of (potential siblings') baptisms to consider from Youghal RC parish registers:

What looks like Margaret?, baptised 12 May 1842, parents Thomas Reily and Honora Giles of Tallow Street, sponsors John Hayes and Catherine Renn (right page, 2nd baptism up from bottom):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631896#page/101/mode/1up

Honora, baptised 30 December 1844, parents Thomas Reilly and Honora Giles of Tallow Street, sponsors John Foley and Honora McCarthy (right page, bottom baptism):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631896#page/136/mode/1up

Offline conniegnly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 16 20:11 GMT (UK) »
This is amazing!  Thank you for this information.  Would it be possible that a child born in May 1843 would be baptized in Dec 1844?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 16 10:27 BST (UK) »

... Would it be possible that a child born in May 1843 would be baptized in Dec 1844?

There isn't a hard and fast answer, many RC children were baptised very soon (same day / a few days / a week or two) after birth.  Are you thinking that Honora might also be a.k.a. Ellen, do you have other background to indicate that?

Where did the May 1843 birth date reference for Ellen come from? Dates from that era can be quite inaccurate.   

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
Here are some other Youghal RC parish register references which are much more nebulous, but for what they're worth...

In the following link, the top of the left page says December 1839, the 12th line down has a baptism for a child who is either unnamed or obliterated by the damage to the page edge, the parents given as Thomas [BLANK] and Honor Giles, the sponsors are Phillip Dennehy and Eliza Meade (note those sponsor names):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631896#page/71/mode/1up

Then you have this baptism, it is for a Mary baptised on 25th of what looks like September 1837, parents Thomas Kiely (is it that or meant to be Riely?) and Honora Giles, the sponsors are Phil Denaghy and May Meade (see previous reference to Dennehy and Meade sponsors):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631896#page/53/mode/1up

And it gets much, much worse, quality-wise. Look at the 14th line down on the right page here:

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631896#page/37/mode/1up

I'm comfortable that the top of the page says May 1835. To my eye, the 14th line down says... 17 Thos Kiley/Riley or Keily/Reily or something very similar, then [SOMETHING] Giles, then Cath (Catherine, the daughter being baptised), then sponsors Patrick (the transcribed record I've seen suggests Sheehan) and Betty (the transcribed record I've seen suggests Kelehar).

Then this one, it is a baptism in March 1833, 15th line down on the left page, to my eye it says Thom Reily Honora Giles [PARENTS],Thom (the child being baptised), sponsors Daniel Sweeney and (Cath ?):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631896#page/25/mode/1up

Offline conniegnly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this information. 

Ellen Rielley's tombstone shows her birthdate as 10 Apr 1843.  However, the 1880 US census has her as 38 yrs old, which would be an 1842 bd, and the 1885 Kansas Census says she was 40, which would be a bd of 1845.  Of course, the census ages depended on who was giving the information, not always the person who could give the exact dates.  So all I can assume is the 1843 date is the date she had given her family. 
I will continue to look for death certificates, etc, but those are not always exact if the family wasn't sure of dates. 
It is interesting that she does not seem to be in the Diocese register under her name of Ellen unless she is Honora.