Author Topic: George Miller O'Neal / O'Neill in Bowes, NRY  (Read 659 times)

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Miller O'Neal / O'Neill in Bowes, NRY
« on: Friday 18 March 16 13:31 GMT (UK) »
George Miller O'Neill was baptised 4 October 1847 in Bowes. The mother is Jane O'Neill and no father given, so probably illegitimate.

He is on the 1851 and 1861 census as "Grandson" (last name now transformed into O'Neal) in the household of Robert DONALD (actually MACDONALD) Robert died in 1870 and I am not sure what happened to George. I think he may have emigrated, at least two of Robert's sons did, one to Canada and one to Australia.

I also don't know who George's father was. I would guess that his father was a MacDonald as there is no marriage between an O'Neill (O'NEAL) and no Jane in Robert's family that I can find.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Miller O'Neal / O'Neill in Bowes, NRY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 16 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Usually I would say the middle name Miller could be a clue to the father but if he is with grandparents with another surname then it assumes one of their children was the mother - or father. 

What surname did Robert's wife have - maybe she was the grandmother and links back to O'Neill.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 16 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Robert's wife is / was Ann or Annas Alderson. I know that name has appeared many times before on this site!

I just want to tie up the loose ends from the census rather than do an in-depth search at this point.

My direct line comes from Robert's sister Mary. I am her 4xGreat-Grand-daughter. My maiden name was McDonald :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1841 for his mother Jane and also for Robert MacDonald - any clues there?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I can't find Jane on the 1841 census :( I did find a Margaret O'Neil and George Miller marriage on 19 June 1825 in Penrith, and a Jane Miller baptised 28 Aug 1825 at Hesket In The Forest  (Cumberland) and wondered if that was her. Perhaps she used her maiden name for some reason.

No real surprises on Robert's 1841 census..... him, his wife, 3 sons and 2 daughters. I am guessing that George's father was one Robert's sons. One daughter would only have been 11 when George was born and the other 19...... but neither are named Jane :)

Robert's surviving sons are Richard, Thomas, Alexander and John so no clues there either.

I wonder what happened to George? I lose him after the 1861 census. Thomas and Alexander both emigrated so perhaps George followed on.