Author Topic: Media Staley  (Read 1761 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Media Staley
« on: Friday 18 March 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Media Staley's baptism around 1833 in Bradwell, Buckinghamshire or her on the 1841 census so I can find out who her parents are.

She is on the 1851 census in St Pancras and then marries in 1856 to Thomas Richardson and lives thereafter in Yorkshire

Media is the correct name although it appears Medea is a more common spelling.

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Media Staley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 16 21:49 GMT (UK) »
and then marries in 1856 to Thomas Richardson and lives thereafter in Yorkshire

What was her fathers name on the marriage cert?

There are 6 trees on Ancestry - have you viewed any of them - one says her father was William
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.

No I do not have the marriage certificate as she is not an ancestor. Her husband is brother to an ancestor of mine and I was intrigued by her unusual forename and wanted to see if it came from her parents.

I did actually initially think Media was a mistake as Thomas Richardson was married initially to Mary but looking at it more fully revealed the second marriage to Media.

I have looked at the trees on Ancestry but no mother is given. I have also looked at familysearch, freereg and findmypast to no avail
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 16 22:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a Midian Nichols, 9 yrs with a father William in 1841.
They are in Hanslope, Bucks - seems to be a few miles from Bradwell.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Well I can find William in 1841 / 51 and his wife is Anna / Ann. So is Ann his original wife or a new wife. If the latter that could account for the Staley / Nichols difference with Media not being William's child  ???

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Ah,
There is a baptism for Miriam Nichols  :-\

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 16 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Ah thanks, then I don't think Miriam Nichols is Media Staley.

EDIT: Miriam Nichols marries George Leslie later in 1841 in St Saviour, Southwark (the rest of the Nichols are in Southwark by 1851 if not sooner)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I had a lookup done by the local FHS and at the moment I have three possibles; Moab and Midian baptised 1832 and Mercy baptised 1835. The problem with Moab and Midian is they are only described as a child of ...... although searching the web indicates they should be male. Also they all seem to be children of the same person, Mary the lace maker. Will have to see if I can see the registers to see if any of them die young.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the parish register of Bardwell 1800 to 1837 in respect of Staley’s. It reveals:

Baptisms
20 Oct 1816 Eliz Stely daughter of Wm and Mary, farmer otp
14 Mar 1819 Ellen Stely daughter of Wm and Mary, farmer otp
15 Apr 1821 Caroline Stely daughter of Wm and Mary, farmer otp
29 Aug 1824 John Staley son of Wm and Mary, labourer
24 Sept 1826 George Staley son of Wm and Mary, labourer
11 Jan 1829 Caroline Staley daughter of Wm and Mary, labourer
15 Jul 1832 Moab child of Mary Staley of Bradwell, lacemaker
15 Jul 1832 Midian child of Mary Staley of Bradwell, lacemaker
10 May 1835 Mercy illegitimate daughter of Mary Staley of Bradwell, lacemaker
26 Feb 1837Mary/Mercy illegitimate daughter of Elizth Staley of Bradwell, lacemaker

Marriages
There were no Staley marriages in Bradwell in this period

Burials
25 Nov 1827 Caroline Staley aged 6 (born c1821)
13 Nov 1833 Moab Staley, infant
12 Mar 1837 ? (possibly John) Staley aged 13 (born c1824)
14 Oct 1842 Caroline Staley of Newport Pagnell (workhouse) aged 14 years. Is this the Caroline born 1829, but there is a Caroline Steele aged 11 on the 1841 census in Newport Pagnell
15 Feb 1844 Mary ? of Bradwell aged 20, not sure who this is.

Conclusions
1.   The Wm and Mary, farmer and the Wm and Mary, labourer are the same couple as the birth, death and second birth of Caroline indicates.

2.   There is no indication what happened to William after 1829 for sure but a William Staley of Buckinghamshire was sentenced in summer 1829 to 7 years transportation for trying to aid a prisoner to escape from jail. Letter of 29 Aug 1829 to remove Wm Staley (and other prisoners) from the jail at Aylesbury to the Leviathan at Portsmouth. The trial at Buckingham on 27 July 1829 gave his birth date as 1791 and prisoner number as 9472 (Series HO8 – national archives). Sent to NSW 19 June 1830 on the Royal George (Series HO8 – national archives). So this would indicate that William is not the father of Midian/Midiah/Media. He arrived in Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) on 25 February 1831

3.   Midian could be Midiah as the final letter was suspect and could have been a poor h. It is not much of a jump from Midian/Midiah to Media. Also the 1832 baptism ties in with the birth year recorded on her burial record

4.   The 26 Feb 1837 baptism was transcribed as Mary but the original looks more like Mercy to me. I think the Mary and Elizabeth in the 1835 and 1837 baptism could possibly be mother and daughter.