Author Topic: Pipe major India 1813  (Read 2007 times)

Offline herefords

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pipe major India 1813
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 18 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,  many of my Smiths were musicians, bandmasters etc. Samuel born 1820-1825 was a bandmaster with Madras Native Infantry, I believe his brother Edward was a fife major with the same. I am still trying to prove all this. Samuel's suspected half-brother Robert Henry gave his father's name as Joseph. Since beginning my tree I have found that bandsmen were almost always Indo-Britons which means the original Joseph was probably the son of a British soldier and an Indian Lady.
No information on Sarah but some other surnames of interest are Taylor, Rebeiro, Carthy, Prout, Wallis and Kingsley and Earl. My lot seemed to travel between Madras and Moulmein in Burma and two of the later Smiths (1880's) joined the Duke of Cornwall's light Infantry as buglers/musicians.

Could you send any surnames that you are interested in?  I have many more than the above, since  there were so many deaths from cholera, childbirth, war etc many of mine married more than once.
Yes, needle in a haystack, a dreadful name for researching is Smith (or Smyth) it seemed to be interchangable according to who was filling out documents.
Elizabeth