Author Topic: 1877 Boiler Explosion at Brick Works  (Read 2246 times)

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1877 Boiler Explosion at Brick Works
« on: Friday 18 March 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how I would learn more about a boiler explosion in May 1877 at a brick and tile works near the bridge carrying the Mullaghinch Road over the river Agivey (Garvagh bridge?) in County Londonderry.
The boiler man having let the water level fall dangerously low, instead of first pulling the fire to cool the boiler, opened the cold water valve. In the resulting violent explosion, he and six other workers died instantly and more died in the following weeks. This works never re-opened.
The Dungannon Brick Company opened a new works in the 1940s near the Brown Trout Inn.  This works closed in the 1960s.The existing pond left by clay extraction may suggest the 1877 plant had previously used this site.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 1877 Boiler Explosion at Brick Works
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 16 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Several newspapers at the time carried reports - May and June editions. These can be searched and viewed, for a reasonable fee and/or subscription, via FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archives. Depending where you live, some libraries may also have the papers available on film.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 16 00:27 GMT (UK) »
This was where the  Brown Trout Inn was in the c.1830s, lots of potteries and brickfields to have a look at in the surrounding area:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,689331,921909,10,7

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Have done lots of research on the area including the boiler explosion. Exactly what information are you looking for?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 16 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I see that you were online last night but haven't replied here. Is your interest in the boiler explosion to do with Joseph McHenry who was killed? I believe he was a nephew of the Grace McHenry mentioned in another post of yours?

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 16 19:08 BST (UK) »
Having learned of the death of employees at the Agivey Brick & Tile works explosion in May 1877, I wondered if any relatives of Grace Kelly were among the casualties. I hope Aghadowey will be able to help me find out. The relevant surnames are Kelly, McLaughlin, Keilt, Bell, and of course McKendry (all as variously spelled); perhaps information too about the plant and its location.
I am surprised how many newspaper records of the incident there are, some in newspapers published quite far away. As soon as I have time, I shall arrange to read through them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 April 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
The Agivey brickworks were off the present Glenkeen Road (not Mullaghinch Road) and the brickworks did reopen after the 1877 explosion. It was widely reported in a variety of newspapers at the time but an article appeared more recently in the Bann Disc (journal for the Coleraine Historical Society)- volume 16 (2010).

Young Joseph McKendry had just started working the day before the explosion and died of a fractured skull at the scene of the accident.

As far as I know, that Joseph was the son of Joseph McHenry & Sarah "Sally" Taggart and thus a nephew of Grace (McHenry) Kelly.

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 April 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey. For some reason, Grace Kelly, as a widow with son and younger daughter Annie, came to Glasgow, where Grace’s elder daughter Mary and husband then lived. Grace was certainly in Glasgow in 1901 (census) and probably by 1879, when Annie’s daughter was born there. I have not found a record of Grace’s husband James’ death yet and wondered if Grace moved to Glasgow because James was one of the Agivey casualties.
Thank you for the Bann Disc reference. Volume 16 is still available and I have ordered a copy. I have also started reading the newspaper records on Find My Past.
I am grateful for your help again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 April 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yesterday I spent hours sorting through boxes of loose notes and came across a newspaper article on Joseph McHendry which might be of interest. Thought I had it put to one side so will have to check if I can find it again.
The Bann Disc article lists those killed and James Kelly is not one of the men. There actually weren't that many Kelly in the area.

Added- found the newspaper article and it seems to be a different Joseph McHendry.