Author Topic: George Staveley  (Read 748 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Staveley
« on: Saturday 19 March 16 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with any of the following?

I have a George Staveley marrying Margaret Hanley on 3rd October 1743 at Dent, Yorkshire. George and Margaret had the following issue:

Thomas Stavely, baptised 28th October 1744 Dent, buried 1st November 1764, Dent (as Thomas Stavely, son of George)

William Staveley baptised 14th December 1746, Dent

Eleanor Staveley baptised 14th May 1749, Dent

Margaret Staveley baptised 12th May 1751, Dent

George Staveley baptised 4th May 1755, Dent

Edward Staveley baptised 19th August 1757, Dent

Cant find a baptism for George Staveley who married Margaret Hanley in 1743? Looks like he was still alive in 1764 when his son Thomas was buried. There are a couple of trees on Ancestry which state George was baptised on 29th November 1713 at Dent, son of a George Staveley and his wife Martha Willan, however according to the IGI this George (baptised 1713) died on 1st September 1722?

It looks like George Staveley who married Margaret Hanley died between 1764 - 1770 as his widow Margaret Staveley (nee Hanley) married Nicholas Mattinson in 1770.

Any help with any of the above much appreciated! :)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Staveley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It may be worth trying to find someone who has the actual copies of the registers, Ive used the Archersoftware (DustyDocs) and can see the George bpt. 1713 death 1722) but there is also this one

George Staveley bapt. 20 November 1703 Dent. Son of George.

I think there maybe some inconsistencies with the transcribing, or there are two George S's having children around the same time

Found some marriages:

George Staveley married Martha Willan 28 Jan.  1706 Dent

George Staveley married Hodgson 11 June 1704 Dent ( no forename given)

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Staveley
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I have not looked at the original records thougn I will one day and probably have one of the ancestry trees with the parents you mention, I can't confirm or deny the parents I am afraid. What makes it worse is that the surname varies from Staveley, Stabler, Stappler among others depending on what parish they are in. I am descended from Edward, he used Stabler eventually but his children used Stabler and Staveley interchangeably. There's a family story that the family came from Barton near Darlington before Dent but I haven't found any confirmation of this. Hope someone on here can help you.

Dan
Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett