Author Topic: bg Nancy Reg #3616  (Read 5239 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bg Nancy Reg #3616
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa! Thank you for your pertinent e-mails. Sorry for the delay in responding but I had to take my husband out for a medical appointment.  Please allow me to briefly summarize the apparent pertinent family: Amor Spoor c 14 Jun 1790 in Ryton, Durham married 26 Dec 1808 in All Saints Newcastle  to Ann Armstrong d of master mariner,Archibald Armstrong. At the time of his marriage and for a few years THIS Amor was a joiner but then became involved in building the bonded warehouses which bore his name, This was convenient for some of his relatives who owned ships to store some goods, I am sure. At the time of his death in 1850 I know he had some 3,000 British pounds left. Amor and Ann had at least 8 children between the years 1809 and 1822. Of our immediate interest, thre are - I think - TWO sons. Firstly, I think there was a George Spoor chr 21 Sep 1817 who was buried 6 Oct 1817. Now this is where I am totally confused...I also found a William George Spoor chr 28 Sep 1817 at St Andrew in Newcastle -- I believe he is the owner of the ship, "Nancy" AND he is, I believe, the one who married Ann Elizabeth Donnison who was b 1812 in London.   Ann Elizabeth's Brother, Francis married Ann Elizabeth's sister, Mary b 1813.  This is all enough to give one a massive headache,,,,,,   i know I haven't really answered you question to your satisfaction, but, suffice to say, I do have details of the other children - including other sons - of Amor Apoor and Ann Armstrong, should you feel need to look again at them.  I definitely need "fresh eyes" to sort this out!  :'(  Lisa, thank you for your interest and help. Sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
George Armstrong Spoor, son of Ann and Amor Spoor, was baptised 9 July 1809, Newcastle Upon Tyne

George Armstrong Spoor (no age given), was buried 11 September 1816, Newcastle Upon Tyne
------------------------------------------------
After briefly reading the following...

Codicil and Will of Amor Spoor
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i2j/

Sons William Spoor and Edward Spoor are mentioned.  Amor, another son, was deceased at the time of the codicil and was mentioned.

No mention of George Armstrong nor George (baptised 1817) were mentioned, which makes sense since they died at young ages.

The will and codicil were proved on 4 May 1850.

Your NANCY was ex-ESTHER of Caen, France. Her dimensions were 67.6 ft X 18.7 ft X 8.9 ft.

Your William George Spoor bought her in partnership with Christopher Heslop 18 July 1850. On 29 September 1850 WGS became sole owner. He apparently was in financial straits. NANCY had repairs done by A. & R. Hopper of Newcastle and they placed a lien on her, then apparently mortgaged her to Benjamin Plummer to get their money.

Sometime early in the period 1850 - 1869, NANCY sailed for San Francisco with her owner on board and was never heard of since.

Could W.G. Spoor have purchased the Nancy after the passing of his father?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again Lisa! Our mails are going to cross. Yes, I do believe he had money to purchase the ship Nancy after his Father died with an eye to staying in the shipping business; also, it seems it was close enough to his wedding that it might have been considered a way to enhance the marriage!  8) Strangely, I dd not find any children for this couple, BUT there is the chance they were both lost at sea or..... ???
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax:

My son has to use our computer for a bit (he just arrived).  I will come back here later.  Sorry to leave while you and I are both here.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa in California,

Re your reply #12 of this thread:
Yes, NANCY unknown to the British Registrar of Ships after that date.

Cheers,
Westoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 01:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Westoe.  :)

So, possibly the Nancy could have been lost at sea, sold to another person (and possibly renamed?), or if she sailed to San Francisco possibly been abandoned upon arrival.  Another scenario:  Could Mr. and Mrs. Spoor have sailed to San Francisco in 1851 to "test it out" and then been on board the Nancy when she sailed between 185(2)-1869; or, more likely, could the Nancy have sailed there in 1850 (with Mr. Spoor on board) and Mr. Spoor brought Mrs. Spoor over in 1851? 

patrexjax, thank you for adding additional information.

Was there a George in Amor's or Ann's family (a grandfather or uncle, perhaps)?  They apparently named their first son George, named another son George and possibly had a son named William George.  Did any of Amor's children name their first sons George?  Just hunting for clues   :-\

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 01:56 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you already have this information...

In 2002, someone posted a question for a directory lookup.  They stated they received two marriage certificates "which proves that three offspring of Amor married three offspring of Thomas..."  William George Spoor apparently married Ann Elizabeth Donnison in 1843.

Since the person stated he received two marriage certificates, perhaps he did not receive William George's certificate?
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORTHUMBRIA/2002-02/1012850524

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 02:06 BST (UK) »
HI Lisa, Thank you for the other posting; it is from a distant cousin and he provided some of my information. As faras the name George is concerned.....it is very rare in the Spoor family. However, Ann Askew and Archibald Armstrong (parents of Ann Armstrong had an apparent first born son named George who was chr 27 Aug 1786 in London, about four years prior to Ann Armstrong. Presumably that may be where the name George came from OR perhaps Archibald's Father was named George?  ??? I don't know who Archibald's Father was. That's the only connection to the name george I can see......  Over to you!  Thanks heaps! Sincerely, patrexjax

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 02:11 BST (UK) »
Again, perhaps you have this...

Looking at one of the newspaper archive sites, there are two "articles" (I don't know how much is really mentioned in the newspapers).

26 July 1844, Durham County Advertiser
Someone stole a table which was the property of a William George Spoor

2 September 1843, Newcastle Journal
Marriage: William George Spoor of Clavering-place to Miss Ann Elizabeth

Is there a chance that William's family members might be mentioned in the second article?