Author Topic: Margaret Mckay of Duncan and Ann Mckinnon  (Read 714 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Margaret Mckay of Duncan and Ann Mckinnon
« on: Sunday 20 March 16 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I have searched for her off and on for many years and I thought I would give it one last shot.

Margaret Mckay m John Jarvie (Jarvie/Gentles line) in Blythswood, in 1870.  Her marriage and subsequent documents suggests she was b 1838 +/- 1 year, but I have looked up to +/- 10 years.

Prior to her marriage she was a domestic for James Smith a stockbroker at 7 Park Circus.  This is the only record I can find of her prior to her marriage as it is also the address given on her marriage registration.

This couple had 3 children (Ann, Walter, Margaret), all of her children and her husband predeceased her.  On her death in 1913 her widowed daughter-in-law was the informant.  And her death supports her marriage and the census info as they relate to her origins.

Her father Duncan has listed as a Road Contractor yet I find no Duncan in the Scottish or English Census to support this.  I suspect he was more likely a labourer who worked on the roads but that is just my speculation.  There is a Duncan/Ann in Sutherland with a daughter Margaret but this is not her as this Margaret married locally.

Margaret's birthplace is listed as Kilbride, Lochgilphead, Dalavaich, Oban and Dunach.  There is an 1851 Census entry in Inveraray for a Margaret a Domestic born in Dalavaich but I am not convinced it is her due to the commonality of her name and occupation so she remains a possibility.

I also looked for a Margaret being the illegitimate daughter of Ann Mckinnon but no luck pursuing that scenario either.   

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Mckay of Duncan and Ann Mckinnon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 March 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »

Margaret's birthplace is listed as Kilbride, Lochgilphead, Dalavaich, Oban and Dunach.  There is an 1851 Census entry in Inveraray for a Margaret a Domestic born in Dalavaich but I am not convinced it is her due to the commonality of her name and occupation so she remains a possibility.

Hi Don

Is this the Margaret you found in 1851 do you think in Glasgow 1871?

Robert Walker Jun. 28
Mary Ann Walker 28
Robert Allan Walker 2
John Alexander Walker 9 Months
Ann Dickson Gold 27 servant
Margaret Mackay 23 sister * Domestic Servant b. Inverary, argyleshire
Sarah Mcdougall 33 servant

Address: 50 So Apsley Place, Tradeston, Glasgow/Govan

Not sure if 'sister' may be a mistrascript and should read servant?

Monica

PS: Did her parents show as deceased when she married, Don?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 March 16 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

Yes I have seen the Walker entry, the one I feel is more likely is living in Inverary, and a servant to Quinton Mcwright who works for the Sherriff's Court and his Aunt Harriot Brooks.

By 1871 she has been married for almost a year with daughter Ann. 

Don

Father no notation, deceased noted under mother.  I looked for her death and his up until 1900.  This family has been a somewhat expensive field trip.   
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Were parents showing as alive or deceased when she married?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk