Author Topic: Charles Anderson Tillyfourie Monymusk Violin Maker 1858/1898?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Anderson Tillyfourie Monymusk Violin Maker 1858/1898?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 March 16 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I had 1 credit left for Scotland's people and therefore managed to do a search for a marriage! Given Jane Gray's parents (Alexander Gray and Margaret Mortmer) by 1864 had moved to Tullynestle and Forbes and then stayed there, there is only one marriage that fits. The marriage of a Charles Anderson to a Jane Mortimer Gray in 1886 in Tullynestle and Forbes. I will have to buy some more credit so I can check the full marriage entry and confirm. Therefore it looks like she hadn't married before.

Hopefully the full marriage entry will confirm that Charles Anderson was a shoemaker at the time, to tie up with the 1891 census of her being a shoemaker's wife. Still not sure why'd their first child Alexander was born in Kincardineshire, but perhaps they were visiting there at time or maybe Charles was working there at the time. Why by 1901 Charles had switched to being a granite set maker I don't know, but there are links to "stone work", as his father in law Alexander was a quarrier in 1881

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 March 16 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the actual 1891 census entry it actually says Jane is a settmaker's wife, not a shoemaker's wife which makes much more sense.

As to the marriage: Charles Anderson (Granite Quarrier) of Rubislaw, Aberdeen and Jane Mortimer Gray (Domestic Servant) of Waterside, Forbes were married 03 December 1886, batchelor and spinster respectively. As suspected Jane's parent were Alexander Gray and Margaret Mortimer. Charles father was Charles Anderson a "Caster" and "Barbara Stewart married 05 June 1868 old machar to Peter Lamb".

Tried to find Charles in 1881, 1871 and 1861 with these parents and born Old Machar, but can't find any matches. Can anyone else?

Although this Charles looks to be the right one I haven't (besides the label in the violin) been able to link this Charles to Tillyfourie, which would be nice

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charles Anderson Tillfourie/ Monymusk in British Newspaper Archives
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 March 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I am reliably told that there are reference to Charles Anderson, violin player and possibly his daughter in the British Newspaper Archives. I am guessing  they would be in the region of 1891-1911. Using the free search option I think there may be at least 1 reference to him together with Tillyfourie /Monymusk in 1911, but without subscription access it is difficult to tell. Is there anyone who subscribes to the BNA who could kindly have a look for me and give me a gist of what any entries might say?

Regards

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Anderson Tillfourie/ Monymusk in British Newspaper Archives
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 March 16 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry but request for look-ups from subscription/commercial sites are not allowed here on Rootschat.

Please see our guidleines for posting

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Do not ask for look-ups from commercial sources.
Most commercial sources have strict 'Terms of Use', which forbid publishing their data elsewhere, so asking for such look-ups is also asking people to ignore the 'Terms of Use'.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, only a possible for you in 1861, a Barbara Stewart 19 in a Stewart family, with a Charles Anderson 0 in Old Machar?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, in 1881 Barbara Lamb b Inverurie, is a Widow within household a Charles A Lamb Son aged 20 b Rhynie, occ Granite Stone Dresser in Old Machar

In 1871 Charles Anderson 10 Grandson to a Charles 58 and Ann 58  Stewart in Old Machar
Keyboard86

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 March 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, very useful.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 March 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the actual 1891 census entry it actually says Jane is a settmaker's wife, not a shoemaker's wife which makes much more sense.

As to the marriage: Charles Anderson (Granite Quarrier) of Rubislaw, Aberdeen and Jane Mortimer Gray (Domestic Servant) of Waterside, Forbes were married 03 December 1886, batchelor and spinster respectively. As suspected Jane's parent were Alexander Gray and Margaret Mortimer. Charles father was Charles Anderson a "Caster" and "Barbara Stewart married 05 June 1868 old machar to Peter Lamb".

Tried to find Charles in 1881, 1871 and 1861 with these parents and born Old Machar, but can't find any matches. Can anyone else?

Although this Charles looks to be the right one I haven't (besides the label in the violin) been able to link this Charles to Tillyfourie, which would be nice

Think I have Managed to find the link I was after. In a summary search on find my past from 06 Nov 1899 it lists " Mr. Charles Anderson, Rose Cottage, Tillyfoyrie". http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers?firstname=charles&lastname=anderson&keywords=tillyfourie .

Charles was listed as living in Rose Cottage (Monymusk) in the 1901 census. Monymusk being just down the road from Tillyfourie and for census purposes can well believe Rose Cottage was listed under Monymusk, rather than Tillyfourie specifically.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 March 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
 ;D So we got there, a couple of mentons also of a Charles Anderson on the Committee of the Sett Makers Union, and a Concert at Millbank Hall, Cluny of Court Fride? of Tillyfourie Mr Charles Anderson Secretary
Keyboard86