Author Topic: Burial place of Helensburgh resident, 1900  (Read 1154 times)

Offline geofftweed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial place of Helensburgh resident, 1900
« on: Monday 21 March 16 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am seeking the burial place of a relative who died in Helensburgh in October 1900. He had been living there since at least 1885 when his wife was recorded to have died there. He was born in Carmichael Lanarkshire, and moved around quite a bit, having spent quite some time in Airdrie / New Monkland which is the place his wife hailed from.

I will be visiting Scotland very briefly later this year, and would love to visit his burial site, as he left some personal musings / diary as a young man.

Can somebody please guide me as to the best places to direct my research?  I have reached the limits of Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople, and the online burial search sites do not have much listed. The New Monkland churchyard listing on memento-mori.co.uk has also drawn a blank, as it did for his father who was reported to have been buried there in 1860.

Thanks very much

Geoff

Offline geofftweed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place of Helensburgh resident, 1900
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 16 03:08 GMT (UK) »
In addition:

I have found a listing of his wife's family's burials in the New Monkland churchyard on the memento-mori site, and she is not there.  I would assume then that both were buried in the same place, likely to be in the Helensburgh area, in 1885 and 1900.

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 16 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that the momento mori listing for New Monkland is not complete. Hubby's grandparents are there and I have seen the gravestone but it is not on the momento mori list - although relations are. The other thing to be aware of is that it only lists burials where there is a headstone so if your relatives couldn't afford a stone then they definitely won't be on the list.

As to Helensburgh I know there is a cemetery in the area but I don't know how long it has been open for. I will have a check later and see if I can find anything out about the one I am thinking of.
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 16 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Have replied to your P M Geoff :)

Offline geofftweed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie for your offer of help.

ITBookworm:  Thanks for that ray of hope over New Monkland churchyard.  Memento-Mori have no further information, but have referred me to North Lanarkshire council for lair records, and have offered to send me a map if I were to find the lair record.  The son seemed quite prosperous and family minded, so I am sure he would have given his father an appropriate headstone, but as Momento-Mori pointed out it may also have worn out or fallen face down.

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 16 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Ok the cemetery I was thinking about is Cardross cemetery (and crematorium) which is still in current use. From what I have been able to find there was also Helensburgh Cemetery (Old Luss Road Cemetery) which doesn't look to be in current use. Inconsiderately I can't find anything that lists when any of the cemeteries opened or closed.

I think to get any definitive answer you will need to contact Argyll and Bute council. It might be worth checking whether the local library or archives have copies of the records.

Good luck.
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton

Offline geofftweed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 March 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ITBookworm, Rosie17 has very kindly offered to look up the Helensburgh cemetery record for me at the local library.

Hopefully North Lanarkshire archive can help me with the lair records at New Monkland - once I get past their contact page which seems to require a UK postcode and phone number in order to send.  Looks like I will have to dig out my old numbers from 10 years ago to send, and tell them the real contact details in the text.....!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Helensburgh Cemetery is still in use there is also one at Rhu and Faslane
Rosie :)