Author Topic: Mary E Blake Probate  (Read 933 times)

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mary E Blake Probate
« on: Tuesday 22 March 16 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wondered if anyone has any access to probate records from 1943 in Manhattan.

The above named died  17th Jan 1943, I don't have a last address for her but she died in Manhattan.  She was 63 years old and was born 17th March 1879 in Cork.  She is buried in Gate of Heaven cemetery.  Her parents were Edmund Blake and Mary O'Neil born and died in Ireland.  I have found Mary on the 1920 and the 1930 cns' working as an assistant sister to Head of Home for the Aged Little Sisters of the Poor which was in Brooklyn at that time.  I can't seem to find her after that on the 1940 cns but did find a Mary Blake as a patient in the Welfare Hospital, Welfare Island born 1879 age 61 but dont' know if this was her or not.  Mary never married.

I know Mary left a legacy at least to one sister Margaret Ann Reardon nee Blake, who was living in New South Wales Australia, and also possible Elizabeth Cole nee Blake who was also living in New York or around that area, I can't find Elizabeth Cole either after 1930 cns.  I know this to be fact as I have the probate record or Margaret Reardon who says she was left legacy by her sister
Mary E Blake living in New York, Margaret died 1 year later than Mary.  The sister Elizabeth Cole apparently died in 1965 but I can't find her death either, this is from other members of family confirming this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline e_m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary E Blake Probate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 01:44 GMT (UK) »
For that relatively recent date, you must contact the NY county surrogate court: http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/1jd/surrogates/

There will be fees associated with this--it can get expensive.

I don't *think* this recent date would be on ancestry, but of course you can check by browsing the New York wills.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary E Blake Probate
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that she actually left a Will? if she didn't have a valid Will then her estate would be divided according to law (if parents deceased then siblings, etc.)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!