Author Topic: Moses Carter  (Read 1941 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Carter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Every time we drive through Histon my husband comments on how Chivers jam factory was there!!

I expect you have this, but some history here:
http://cambridgehistorian.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-chivers-story.html

and

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Chivers_and_Sons
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Carter
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I used to live in the village, before they moved his stone from outside the pub.  It used to be by the wall on the High Street side, I can still see it in my mind's eye. 

I've done a lot of reading around Moses, over the years, although I just read, didn't take notes, so can't say if I ever found his parents. Although now I'll just search my HD to see if I did make any notes.

He was always one of those people I intended to write something about and never got round to.

To be specific about where the stone used to be, there's a method of pinpointing on a website called what3words.  With three words you can identify any spot on Earth.  The spot (within a foot or two) of where the stone was in the 70s, is between: menu.extra.downs -and- anchovies.audit.action
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.