Author Topic: Thomas Paradine c1751. Aston Abbots.  (Read 1000 times)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Thomas Paradine c1751. Aston Abbots.
« on: Wednesday 23 March 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

I have in my possession, all the Paradine(and variants) burial, baptism and marriage occurrences in Bucks.

I'm trying to find anything on Thomas Paradine c1751. Aston Abbots.  There are few burials in Bucks, but no ages given. No marriages in the right time frame, so my first thought was to go to Oxfordshire and check the OxFHS Marriage index.

There is a marriage in 1771 Banbury to a Sarah Woolgrove. Thomas Parageen or Paragan(a servant man), Sarah Woolgrove, of the parish of Deddington.

Anything that could suggest or prove a death/burials, children etc, as I have limited PR cd's for Oxfordshire.

There are only 6 possible marriages in Oxfordshire, from 1583 to 1806, so Oxfordshire would not be a haven for the Paradine family.

It's a bit of a tall ask, as he could have ended up anywhere, but any help would be welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline paradinet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Paradine c1751. Aston Abbots.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I think I may have broken some ground in regard to Thomas of Aston Abbots.  It appears that the most logical answer for Thomas and his parentage is that the records of Aston Abbots, Cublington, and Winslow (before that) are incomplete.  Still, if you isolate all records of Paradine's from the 1580's through the 1800's, patterns and families emerge that (I think) lends credence to the idea that Thomas was the son of Robert of Cublington. In turn, that Robert was born in Cublington to another Robert.  The elder Robert was christened in Winslow, Bucks.  I would love to send you what I have and get your take on some of the conclusions I have reached. 

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Paradine was batised @ Aston Abbots, to Thomas Paradine and Elizabeth(nee Thorn).

As far I can see or find, in all the marriage occurrences in Bucks, from 1637 to 1901, it's either been eaten, burnt, missed or mislaid, or it never happened in Bucks.

Thomas Paradine Snr.  was baptised to Robert & Ann Parradine in Cublington.  As far as I'm aware, Robert & Anne only had the one child, before he died in 1706 in Cublington.

Robert Paradine was baptised in Cublington in 1682, to Robert & Sarah. There is no marriage in Bucks for Robert & Ann or Robert & Sarah.

Robert Snr. was baptised in Winslow in 1649, to William Paradine & Joan Dancer.  No marriage in Bucks for William to a Joan Dancer,, or in fact a marriage for William in the right time frame.

I am reasonably sure, the two Roberts were married in Bedfordshire of Herts., unless you know different.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline paradinet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
William (b. 1600- d.1670s/1680s) married Joann Dancer on Feb. 29, 1627 in Little Horwood.  He was a blacksmith as was his father William Sr who died in Little Horwood in 1650 (I have a copy of his will that I can share with you).

As far his son Robert Sr. and grandson Robert Jr., I assumed they married in Winslow or Cublington and that the records simply were incomplete.  In speaking with some of individuals running winslow-history.org.uk, they verified the parish records in the 1670's and 1680's were incomplete.  I think this explanation might be more likely an answer then an out of county marriage.  However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea to check!

Both William the elder and his son William went by the surname Paladie/Palladine at times in addition to Paradine.  William the elder was likely the child of Henry Paladie/Palladine/Paradine who lived in Swanbourne in the 1570s 

In regard to Thomas (1708-1759), it appears he had A LOT of children although almost all of them did not survive into adulthood.  His first wife Margaret died in 1743 after giving birth to twins (who also passed away).  He then married Elizabeth.  In all, out of 13 children, I can find evidence of only one reaching adulthood.  His youngest son William Paradine married in Aylesbury 29 Apr 1778 to Elizabeth Seamons.  They settled in Weedon for a time before moving to Great Kimble.

There are burial records for some of Thomas's other children, and other deaths can be inferred by the fact that multiple children are baptized with the same name.  However, that does leave the door  open for Robert (b. 1749), Thomas (b. 1751), and John (b. 1753).  I can find no evidence that they survived however.  Thomas Sr. died in 1759 and Elizabeth Thorn remarried Edward Baker in 1760.

Curiously, there is ANOTHER William Paradine who married a Mary Scott in Puttenam, Hertford.  He would have likely been born in the 1750's and almost certainly came from this line of Paradine's... could he have been a son of Thomas Sr?  Perhaps, this William was baptized by a different name (?) but took on his father's name?  Or perhaps he could be the son of an unknown child of Robert Paradine of Cublington?  This of course is just speculation, but a Y-DNA analysis could help prove the connection.

Offline paradinet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Feel free to send me an e-mail (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php