Author Topic: G. Hood, Byefield, Selby  (Read 4378 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: G. Hood, Byefield, Selby
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 March 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
This Mr John Spencer of Selby -If you can find a connection to the Scarborough Spencer's family as there is a connection through property of this J Spencer to George Hood 1861 census son of George Hood d 1845.

---------------------------------------------------------

Going by the 1850 there was no Byefield Lodge on this map but was on later maps and this would suggest Byefield was only a group farming fields/closes etc. pre 1850
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 May 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Previous comments:-
"I have just found "Bye Field Close" Selby under the Hemp & Flax Claims of John Spencer, in the Leeds Intelligencer of 1794."

Also in 1802 a John Hood was living in Micklegate, Selby, owned by a John Spencer.

1795 Selby Baptism Register of baby Elizabeth Turner, 1st Daur of Morland Turner (nee Maudland Hood) it actually says:-

"Morland Daur of John Hood of Selby mariner by Elizabeth his Wife Daur of John Spencer of Scarbro' mariner"

This Mr John Spencer of Selby -If you can find a connection to the Scarborough Spencer's family as there is a connection through property of this J Spencer to George Hood 1861 census son of George Hood d 1845.

Going by the 1850 there was no Byefield Lodge on this map but was on later maps and this would suggest Byefield was only a group farming fields/closes etc. pre 1850

Could not find a John Spencer Will of Scarborough, but found this, which I'll also post for other Spencer of Scarborough researchers too ...

Catherine Spencer of Scarborough recorded in her 1776 Will (proved 1782)

Robert Spencer had married Catherine
[27 February 1763 Robert Spencer = Catherine Rowe, from transcribed list, Houghton le Spring Register]

Mother of Robert Spencer was Mary to receive £20 half yearly

Late Uncle [of Catherine] Richard Rowe's Estate
Late Uncle [of Catherine] Henry Rowe, late of Bloomsbury Square [A Henry Rowe of Bloomsbury Square was one of the Governors and Guardians of the Childrens Hospital]
Brother of Catherine Spencer was Anthony Rowe
Sister of Catherine was Jane Rowe

Children of Robert and Catherine Spencer (not written here in any particular order)

John Paxton Spencer £700 (A later Court case says Thomas Paxton Spencer and looking at John, it could well be Thos).
Henry Robert Rowe Spencer £700
Catherine Spencer £700
Jane Spencer £700
Hutton Rowe Spencer £700
The Child with which I am now Pregnant £700

The children were to receive at 21, the girls could receive there bequests if they married, whichever was sooner. Interest was to be paid at £4 in every hundred pounds.

According to Google books, it was not long before one of the children was at the Court of Chancery after the death of Catherine's husband Robert Spencer, in 'Spencer v. Spencer' mentioning Robert Spencer's Will dated 24 December 1791, who died 14 November 1793 apparently.

Awaiting the 1802 Selby property document (John Hood, occupier), as there maybe more than one John Spencer, owning property at Selby.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Previous comments:-
"I have just found "Bye Field Close" Selby under the Hemp & Flax Claims of John Spencer, in the Leeds Intelligencer of 1794."

Also in 1802 a John Hood was living in Micklegate, Selby, owned by a John Spencer.

1795 Selby Baptism Register of baby Elizabeth Turner, 1st Daur of Morland Turner (nee Maudland Hood) it actually says:-

"Morland Daur of John Hood of Selby mariner by Elizabeth his Wife Daur of John Spencer of Scarbro' mariner"

Could not find a John Spencer Will of Scarborough, but found this, which I'll also post for other Spencer of Scarborough researchers too ...

Catherine Spencer of Scarborough recorded in her 1776 Will (proved 1782)

Robert Spencer had married Catherine
[27 February 1763 Robert Spencer = Catherine Rowe, from transcribed list, Houghton le Spring Register]

Mother of Robert Spencer was Mary to receive £20 half yearly

Late Uncle [of Catherine] Richard Rowe's Estate
Late Uncle [of Catherine] Henry Rowe, late of Bloomsbury Square [A Henry Rowe of Bloomsbury Square was one of the Governors and Guardians of the Childrens Hospital]
Brother of Catherine Spencer was Anthony Rowe
Sister of Catherine was Jane Rowe

Children of Robert and Catherine Spencer (not written here in any particular order)

John Paxton Spencer £700 (A later Court case says Thomas Paxton Spencer and looking at John, it could well be Thos).
Henry Robert Rowe Spencer £700
Catherine Spencer £700
Jane Spencer £700
Hutton Rowe Spencer £700
The Child with which I am now Pregnant £700

The children were to receive at 21, the girls could receive there bequests if they married, whichever was sooner. Interest was to be paid at £4 in every hundred pounds.

According to Google books, it was not long before one of the children was at the Court of Chancery after the death of Catherine's husband Robert Spencer, in 'Spencer v. Spencer' mentioning Robert Spencer's Will dated 24 December 1791, who died 14 November 1793 apparently.

Awaiting the 1802 Selby property document (John Hood, occupier), as there maybe more than one John Spencer, owning property at Selby.

Kind regards, Mark

Hello

Something I missed in this PCC, 16 July 1782 Will of Catherine Spencer of Scarborough, that Claire has noticed, is a reference to Joseph Snowdon ...

and I do hereby appoint my said Husband
Robert Spencer
Sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament and Do hereby constitute and appoint my said Husband Robert Spencer
and Joseph Snowdon of
  [?]Bows House in the
County of Durham Gentleman Tutors or Guardians for all

Folio 381
my said children till they shall attain their respective
ages of twenty one years or be married ...

Bows[?] House in the County of Durham.

One that does appear is - Isabella Younger of Bows House ...
"Younger, Isabella of Bows House aged 27 - 7 Oct 1820 - Penshaw"
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptions/DUR/BDUR_U-Y.html

The reference to Snowdon is interesting, in relation to Hoods at Newcastle / Gateshead?

It wasn't long before Spencer v. Spencer and the 1782 Will of Catherine Spencer was mentioned ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yXADAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA362&lpg=PA362&dq=%22Catherine+Spencer%22+Will+1782&source=bl&ots=XKMMTRtbg9&sig=UEVKYK6Qa7mt-fI-MCBvKjQmrmk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjenJiKl6DWAhVFAsAKHezkDuMQ6AEIJTAD

--------

Scarborough St Mary's Monumental Inscriptions only lists this, but not in the Register apparently ...

Head Stone -
Sacred/
to the Memory of/
MARY the wife of/
JOHN SPENCER/
who departed this life/
August (?g) 18??/
aged (33 or 83) years.

Goughy found this Mary Spencer ...
Mary Spencer buried St Mary's 1786 (born 1706)  No other info in burial register This Mary was buried 23 APRIL

Regards Mark