Author Topic: G. Hood, Byefield, Selby  (Read 4382 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: G. Hood, Byefield, Selby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 18:24 GMT (UK) »
The next entry on the census is Olive Bush Farm, common Road.

Olive Bush Farm can be seen on this map

http://public.selby.gov.uk/online-applications/propertyDetails.do?activeTab=map&keyVal=0017TCNXLI000

Could Byefield Lodge Farm now be Flaxby Lodge?

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I posted in a bit of a hurry, but was also interested to see what others come up with too. I also have his Wedding Certificate too. They are part of my family.

I have also noticed the plan, on a planning application, online.

Thank you, Mark

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
If you had told us all the information that you already have, and explain what you are wanting, from the outset, it would have saved an awful lot of time just establishing the basics (like name and date) and then going over old ground.  We've spent an hour and a quarter on this thread now trying to come up with ideas about "G Hood from Byefield" only to find you already have it!!!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »

Looking at the census, the enumerator district seems to be one comprising outlying farms.  The description at the beginning of the schedule is not of much help, it describes the places by the owners! (e.g George Hoods land) The next entry after George's farm is a farm in Common Road.

I missed the reference in the Census to 'George Hood's land' at the beginning of the Schedule. So really pleased you mention that, as it may be lead to copy Deeds, you have spotted something, I missed.

Don't do anything about what I am about to say, but I have major problems in getting back beyond "George Hood of Selby" married Selby 1815 despite having Bond, Licence and Register entry, childrens baptism entries, Death Certificate, Will (father of this George Hood, farmer), other Selby Hood Wills, Street Directories. A number of suggestions have been made on another thread, which I am working through (obtaining more documents) and we need to make further visits to several Archives in Yorkshire, to explore other types documents.

I have Wills, Land Tax, Voters Rolls and everything I believe from the newspapers, seven property Memorial Deeds from Wakefield for properties in the town of Selby, one refers to George Hood widower, but neither this George Hood, nor his father George Hood were Widowers (as they died before their wives), but this reference to George Hood's land may/may not lead me to find information!

Thank you very much.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking, George Hood's land you mention in the Census Schedule may be referring to a 4 acre piece of the Selby Outwoods (mentioned in one Deed Registration) also I have the sale advert at purchase by his father, but this was not Byefield.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 March 16 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Update

I have just found "Bye Field Close" Selby under the Hemp & Flax Claims of John Spencer, in the Leeds Intelligencer of 1794.

Don't know much about John Spencer Esq., only that he owned property at Selby, died 1809, aged 75. Also a J. Hood and Mr Hood (possible relations) rented from him in 1781 to 1802 per Selby Land Tax and he was apparently the father of John Spencer of Conisbrough Park, in the Will Extract at TNA.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=98tKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1181&lpg=PA1181&dq=%22John+Spencer%22+Selby+1809&source=bl&ots=y0TdX-4RA_&sig=NPzAqCWS2_L5pHyhAhQI8GAwMdI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju5IPp5tjLAhXB1hQKHZ8pAPAQ6AEIKTAF

Also just found, re "Bye-field" Selby, it must have started where Bondgate ends, because in the Yorks Gazette of 1861, a description of this part of Byefield, says it lies in Bondgate to the Brickyard and opens onto the high road to Wistow. A newspaper says Byefield abutted Middlewood and Wistow Lanes. Another in 1876 says a piece of Byefield abutted Cockerill Lane and this was also known as Spalding Close or Waites Close.

I shall have to see if I can find another old map.

Thanks for the replies, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:16 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/100947185

Bottom right quarter of map

Right margin in link map above look  for Selby written in the margin, above that in smaller letters is again written in the margin is Holmes dike,  now in the map opposite where holmes dike is written is Bondgate in big letter, above that is 'Mount Pleasant' AND FOLLOW THE ROAD NOW IN TO THE MAP TO A' Y' JUNCION AND THERE BY THE JUNCTION IS BYEFIELD LODGE ON THE LEFT.

On google maps follow the b1223 Wistow road where it meets Sherburn road at a Y junction in link

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.794067,-1.0804804,695m/data=!3m1!1e3

BYEFIELD LODGE is the  building on left in link below

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.795239,-1.0839937,3a,75y,293.24h,92.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stc0HyY-LdeiECMg4CVligA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 March 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Update

I have just found "Bye Field Close" Selby under the Hemp & Flax Claims of John Spencer, in the Leeds Intelligencer of 1794.

Don't know much about John Spencer Esq., only that he owned property at Selby, died 1809, aged 75. Also a J. Hood and Mr Hood (possible relations) rented from him in 1781 to 1802 per Selby Land Tax and he was apparently the father of John Spencer of Conisbrough Park, in the Will Extract at TNA.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=98tKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1181&lpg=PA1181&dq=%22John+Spencer%22+Selby+1809&source=bl&ots=y0TdX-4RA_&sig=NPzAqCWS2_L5pHyhAhQI8GAwMdI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju5IPp5tjLAhXB1hQKHZ8pAPAQ6AEIKTAF

Also just found, re "Bye-field" Selby, it must have started where Bondgate ends, because in the Yorks Gazette of 1861, a description of this part of Byefield, says it lies in Bondgate to the Brickyard and opens onto the high road to Wistow. A newspaper says Byefield abutted Middlewood and Wistow Lanes. Another in 1876 says a piece of Byefield abutted Cockerill Lane and this was also known as Spalding Close or Waites Close.

I shall have to see if I can find another old map.

Thanks for the replies, Mark

I think your Cockerill Lane is Cockeret lane

You can see the brickworks at Bondgate/Mount Pleasant 1851 map

Byefield (Fields / close) maybe the fields behind Byefield Lodge down to Cockeret lane.

To the West of is Olive Bush houses and further West a row of (Was a mash) Allottment Gardens with an un-named lane running behind it.(Close ?)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 March 16 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thanks for the other NL of Scotland Map, links and other information.

Family correspondence has been found and a letter of 1894 says this:-

Manor of Selby

I have been in communication with
my clients herein and find that it was
Wm Hood who owned the Byfield estate
and that the house has been built
since the last admission. The children
of the said William Hood now seek to
be admitted tenants of said estate. I
suppose the property will have to be
revalued by you and I shall be glad
if you will say what other evidence in
addition to Probate you will require
                           Yours truly
                                    A.Spink

[In other letters it is spelt Byefield]
-----------------------------------------

"G. Hood" once held Byefield, according to other Family correspondence.

I get the feeling that Byefield might once, have been a large field area, before being divided up.

I am awaiting microfiche of a 1787 book, which mentions John Hood of Gateshead, reputed to be a Publican on the dockside? It is reputed to deal with dissenters.

I am awaiting 5 volumes of a 1790s Directory (on CD), one of which, under Kingston upon Hull, is supposed to deal with some of the regularly vessels plying the trade between Hull and Selby.

In the 18th Century Selby Register transcription there is a "George of Selby" but I wish to check out the original, as the parents are not Hood. Also to get those Bonds and Marriage entries you suggested and some others I wish to get.

A Bainbridge Hood was also born at Selby early 18th Century, but thought to have been buried at Selby as Bambridge Hood? However, the Bainbridge Hood family appear in the Beverley area.

A GRO, Jane Cockin, Selby Registration Birth Certificate should be here soon, as I want to see who her parents were, because a Jane Cockin was Witness at George and Sarah's 1815 Marriage.

I have just acquired (not part of the Hood Family collection) a scan of a 1720 Property Inrollment of the Right Honourable Catherine Lady Petre, mentioning Hood the Barbour of Selby occupying a Messuage or Tenem.t standing in the Market Place and six closes (6 fields, named) and a little stable taken of the Abby Kiln, all in Selby, with various rights, except those reserved.

1720 is not helpful with the tree at the moment, but if offered, I thought it best to get it.

There is still much to do.

Kind regards, Mark