Author Topic: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?  (Read 56527 times)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?
« Reply #198 on: Monday 29 January 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Not a transcription but an entry next to a child that belonged to the second wife of one of my ancestors quote basted child of wife. Obviously he had strong feelings about this child all the others are listed as scholar except this poor girl aged 8. Sadly the wife died the following year and I can find no trace of the unfortunate daughter.
Regards Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Friday 09 February 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Jemima Crumpler transcribed as Fanina Oompler.

Love this.  Oompler is an amazing surname - very creative!  Made me laugh.  I had Edward Thomas written as Edward Alassa.  The guy couldn't write very well, but at least was trying to sign for himself!
Cornwall: Skewes, Martin, Martyn, Dunstan
Scotland: Lightbody, Graham, Knox
England: Lello, Daniel

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Sunday 18 March 18 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Because the databases are making searches harder to take on longer ...it can be a good idea to find some info elsewhere first. Especially when one needs a last name that is a first name.  Family Search was usually pretty good, but lately there is a lot of garbage in, garbage out...
I have found this in other batch files before, & wonder if it the same person. Why did they bother doing this for free? Sabotage rather than help? Useless
a whole batch file is nothing but first names duplicated as last names...adding an "s" or whatever they felt like doing at the moment...SAINT ALKMUND, SHREWSBURY,  First names also often sketchy so you know they're bad as well. Out of over 19,000 entries, this is a lot of errors...
Thomas John  - father: John Lee
Ales Walkins - father: Walkin Yenn
Abraham Abraham  - father: Abraham Phillips
Marther Adman - father: Admon Gitins
Hughe Harrys Rogers - father: Roger Harris
Margaret Oliver  - father: Olifer Griffies
John Benge - father: Benj Powel
Hesketh Thomas - father: Thos Barrow
Samuell Isaac - father: Isaack Phillips
Samuel Edwards - father: Edward Allcoks
John Thomas -father: Thos Gadd
Not their fault but they should have just deleted it after it was reported, as it is all useless, unless only a mother listed. Maybe surnames Jane & Harriet didn't work for them.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com