Author Topic: Kock Elders - can anyone tell me what it means  (Read 2786 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kock Elders - can anyone tell me what it means
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 March 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
http://www.collgenealogy.com

You will see some of the players in the minutes as parents under births.  You will see Lachlane at Knock in the 1776 Census and a lot of other information.

Just a quick alteration to GR2's post... Lachlan McLean "b" (Brother) German to Coll and John McLean  the "b" is shown as such for this phrase on most Old Scot's documents.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 March 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
This more or less covers all my questions.  It will take me sometime to read all through it, but very grateful for this information.   Thank you so much Don M!
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 March 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Found Knock its on the Isle of Mull, a short boat trip from the Isle of Coll, I wonder what the connection is with Coll and why Elders from a church on Mull were involved, was it a mother church?
Were the same landowners involved?

Can the word be positively identified as Knock?

It is very easy to jump to conclusions and be mislead as a result as Ancestry trees vividly show, but time spent checking doubts is time well spent, be careful not to simply accept an answer because it seems to fit without exploring all the other possibilities and dismissing them.
It takes longer in the first instance but a couple of days checking may save years of research in the long run.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 March 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy

Think the last message with all the information on the Isle of Coll answers part of your question.  Not sure if that is the proper place for the church centre, but may have been.  Fascinating reading & a still going over the information.  Thank you so much for your interest & I do not believe everything that is written.  Especially Ancestry - do  NOT belong to it & never have.  For most accurate information rely on Scotland's People, etc.  Try to get the actual information but also rely on Family Search but it too has many errors within it, except it is FREE.

Thank hyou again.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa