Author Topic: Finding the correct parents for: Sarah Ann ALLEN- born abt. 1870 - Leicester  (Read 4993 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HI all

So I need a bit of help and I am hoping one of you rootschat sleuths can lend me a hand ;)
As I keep going around in circles  :(

I have a marriage for Sarah Ann Allen in April 1886 in Leicester.
Sarah Ann Allen age 16 (so born about 1870) married Samuel Henry Jarvis 18 (so born about 1868)
Samuel's father was listed as John Jarvis (shoe finisher)
Sarah's father was listed as Frederick Allen (riveter)

Samuel's parents indeed were a John Jarvis & Elizabeth Ann Wortley who married and lived in Leicester, Leicestershire.

However, I am having a hard time  confirming Sarah's parentage.... :-\
Problem is that I cannot find Sarah with any connection to a Frederick Allen... :-\
Or even confirm her place in a family prior to her marriage to Samuel.
Presumably her father "Frederick" was alive in 1886 as her marriage did not indicate 'deceased' for him.

Sarah and Samuel did name their first son, born in 1887, Frederick ...but Samuel had a brother named that too  :P.

Sarah and Samuel appear married on the 1891 census in St Margaret, Leicestershire (same Parish they married)
On the 1901 in St Lawrence, Northamptonshire
On the 1911 back in Leicestershire
They immigrate to Canada in 1913.

On the 1871 I find a Sarah Ann Allen correct age range living with an Isaac Green (grandparent) but this Sarah's parents seem to be a JOHN Allen and Sarah Green?   And as  hard as I try I cannot bridge the Sarah Ann Allen who marries Samuel Jarvis to this couple.   

John Allen dies in 1887 .... Wondering if anyone can find a connection either to this John Allen being one and the same aka Frederick Allen.  OR actually find the elusive Frederick Allen that would be the father of Sarah Ann Allen-Jarvis????

Thanks for the hand
WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the correct parents for: Sarah Ann ALLEN- born abt. 1870 - Leicester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 16 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Presumably her father "Frederick" was alive in 1886 as her marriage did not indicate 'deceased' for him.

This information on a marriage certificate is not reliable.  It is not a question that the clergy were required to ask.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the correct parents for: Sarah Ann ALLEN- born abt. 1870 - Leicester
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 16 13:40 GMT (UK) »

On the 1871 I find a Sarah Ann Allen correct age range living with an Isaac Green (grandparent) but this Sarah's parents seem to be a JOHN Allen and Sarah Green?   

This Sarah has a place of birth as Asfordby, Leicestershire and can still be found as single in 1901
RG13/3011 f5 p2

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 16 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you investigated this one  :-\
1881 - RG11 / 3172 f29 p17

Mary Allen 37 Married
Sarah A. Allen   11
Ada Allen   3
all born Earl Shilton, Leicestershire

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 16 14:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree with Sarah Ann and Samuel's marriage cert, the wits are Joseph and Elizabeth Sibson

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 March 16 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you investigated this one  :-\
1881 - RG11 / 3172 f29 p17

Mary Allen 37 Married
Sarah A. Allen   11
Ada Allen   3
all born Earl Shilton, Leicestershire

The address of the above is - 5 Court H Church Gate. Which happens to be the same address on the marriage cert for Sarah Ann  :)

JJ

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 March 16 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for confirming rosie99 that the Sarah Ann Allen attached to Isaac Green (grandfather 1871) is still single 1901...so that John Allen and Sarah Green are not her parents...

But better yet, a huge thanks for finding out that the Sarah A Allen 11 with Mary Allen on the 1881 is more than probably the right Sarah who marries Samuel Jarvis based on the address  :o

I knew the sleuths here could definitely see things from a different perpective :-*
I had gone around and around and was getting confused on where I was at and who was who.
Sometimes a fresh pair of eye is required to make sense of what we have right in front of us.

Now it is time to investigate this Mary Allen and family

Thanks JJ too. So The witness I presume should be simpson?  Spelled Sibson?  I did wonder if perhaps they were connected to the Allen versus Jarvis side somehow...but again, was not able to sort the who is who.
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 March 16 15:36 GMT (UK) »
The address of the above is - 5 Court H Church Gate. Which happens to be the same address on the marriage cert for Sarah Ann  :)

Thanks JJen  ;D

It just shows how helpful all the information on a marriage certificate can be when we are looking for someone.  ;D

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 March 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed!
I have now been digging but this family is still not giving up leads easily  :P

1881 Mary Allen says 'married'

On the 1891 all 3 of the families (Allen, Jarvis, Sibson) are together (same street)
Mary Allen with daughter Ada (but now says widow)
Sarah Allen-Jarvis with hubby Samuel & their kids
Joseph and Elizabeth Sibson...

I suspect Elizabeth Sibson and Mary Allen might be sisters (both born Earl Shilton)

But still more questions than answers .... :-\

Joseph & Elizabeth Sibson appear 1871-1891 ... he is the son of Charles Sibson and Hannah...
However so far, no help finding wife Elizabeth's maiden name ...

And finding Mary Allen on the 1871 with daughter Sarah Ann ... nothing there either so far...

Also Sarah's sister Ada Allen ... here too so far not much to go on...

And NO Frederick Allen either...

WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)