Author Topic: William Orr family - Paisley  (Read 3798 times)

Offline lkmashek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Orr family - Paisley
« on: Thursday 24 March 16 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on the Orr side of my family.  Great grandfather was William Orr born 1864 in Paisley, died 1931.  His father was Thomas Orr (1825-1892) mother was Jane Stevenson (1833-1895). Married Catherine Knox (1865-1927) in 1883.  Children: Jean Orr, born 1881; Thomas Orr, born 1885; Catherine Orr, born 1886; William Orr 1889-1915 (died WW I); Mary Cairns Orr 1891-1946, Isabella Y. Orr 1891-1971 (died in Fennville, Michigan; Margaret Orr 1893-?; Andrewina Orr 1896-1955; Euphemia Knox Orr 1898-1946; Andrew Knox Orr (my grandfather) 1899-1960 (died in Chicago); John Orr 1900-1984 (died in Evergreen Park, Illinois); and Anne Orr 1906-1946.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: William Orr family - Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
You already have lots of names and dates, which is great, but do you have corresponding certificates too (which would usually give lots of additional, useful info)? What specifically are you looking for help with?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline lkmashek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, should have been more specific.  No, I don't have many certs yet, except for my grandfather. I know I should be able to find these at Scotland's People, but haven't looked there yet.   I'm just hoping to make contact with some of the relatives of William's children and find out what happened to them.  Only two emigrated to the United States.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Orr Jane Stevenson the baker's family, I am familiar with this line.

I have a lot of Orr's from Lochwinnoch, Barrhead and Paisley.  The Wm Orr/Ann Stevenson line is mine but I am not related to yours, but needless to say have crossed paths with it many times in Paisley. 

I did notice you have an Orr/Black family member mixed in with your line; Thomas born in 1885 belongs to them, your Thomas was born in 1884.  I am also unaware they had a daughter Jean out of wedlock in 1881, I have several Jeans around this period none to Ms Knox nor William Orr.  I do have William's marriage to Catherine in 1883 she would have been 16 in 1881 and he 17.  Not saying this didn't happen just it is pushing the boundaries of the late 1800's a tad without a visit from the Sherriff.

So yes I too suggest you visit Scot's People and confirm the births, especially if you are hoping to attract other's of this family as there are 169 births in Paisley alone from 1883-1900.   

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline lkmashek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 16 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I will visit Scotland's People.  I have not attempted to search there yet and it sounds a bit complicated, so I have been procrastinating.  I just need to jump in and figure it out.  I'm attaching a photo of the William and Catherine Orr family in case you recognize anyone.

Offline Jackmac24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
I am connected via the Orr line in Paisley , have many Orr certificates , some possibly connected to your line. I know that Thomas was married twice and had a son James as have his death certificate among many.
Jack

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 August 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
ORR - Paisley.

I have the following in my current research.
I noticed the names Orr and Cairns that feature greatly in the McLean  and Elliot families of Neilston and Barrhead.

IsabellaMcLEANb.9.7.1854BarrheadRenfrewshire.d.5.10.1930Northcote.m.1.3.1872EmeraldHill to JamesScottCAIRNSb26.12.1841GlenhowlWigton.Bapt2.1.1842OldluceWigton.d12.6.1920Northcote

ELLIOTJanet.bc3.5.1836Neilston.Christ29.5.1836NeilstonRenfrewshire.d10.2.1922Northcote
  m8.10.1856  to CollingwoodVictoria.JohnKeirORRb11.11.1829Neilston.d1.12.1911Hawthorn

Happy to chat further.

Jack Gee
Longwood
Vic
Aust

GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline lkmashek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 August 17 04:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both Jacks!  Since I posted in 2016 I did venture into Scotland's People and obtained some certificates.  Jackmac 24, are we talking about Thomas Orr born 1884 in Paisley and died in Australia, son of William and Catherine Knox?  If so I have has birth record and will be happy to share.  Just let me know. I do not have any info on his wife or children.  Or Thomas Orr married to Jane/Jean Stevenson and also Mary Ann Ritchie,who also had a son Thomas born in Paisley about 1883?  I have this Thomas' death cert.  Would love to share information

Jack Gee, I have not found Isabella McLean or Janet Elliott in my tree as yet.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 August 17 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ikmashek for your prompt reply.

This forum is about asking questions and occasionally you get the right answer.
Happy hunting.

Cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN