Author Topic: John Prindle born 1909/10 in Birkenhead  (Read 631 times)

Offline rosalindamaryllis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Prindle born 1909/10 in Birkenhead
« on: Friday 25 March 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi ..have just found this site.
I am looking to trace my Dad's brother, John Prindle who was sent to Canada with the Church of England Waifs and Strays. on board the Doric from Birkenhead in 1925, he was placed in the Gibbs Home on landing in Ontario but I think he may have gone to Glace Bay in Nova Scotia and possibly worked on a farm with a Polish couple. How do I trace what happened to him when he left the home.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Prindle born 1909/10 in Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

To clarify....according to the passenger list, the Gibbs Home was in Sherbrooke Quebec.

Prindle appears to be a relatively uncommon name in Canada. There are only 15 listings in the white pages - 5 in Quebec, 5 in Ontario, and the rest in Alberta. Full contact info is generally given. You might consider writing to some of them? I would start with the Quebec (QC) ones since they are closest to Sherbrooke.

http://www.canada411.ca

There don't appear to be any listings in Nova Scotia but that doesn't mean he didn't go there. You could try contacting the library in Glace Bay to inquire whether they might have any info. And here is a link to NS vital statistics for you to explore.

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I see a John Prindle b 21 Sept 1909 on page 16 unfortunately it doesn't give you much detail.

http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/overseas-settlement-committee.html

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 16 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello have found a bit of  information for John

Home Children Records-Library and Archives Canada
www.bac-lac.govca/.../home-children.../immigration-records.aspx

Scroll down page to Entries With References for Microfilm Reels with "C" & "T" prefixes
Click on Heritage
Enter in search bar at top of page T-15425 go to image 1555 for John's record
You can also do another search using  C-4746 for information on  CE Waifs and Strays image 860,861, 912 and 913.

Hope this helps in your search will do some further poking around.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 16 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Home Children Records-Library and Archives Canada
www.bac-lac.govca/.../home-children.../immigration-records.aspx

Scroll down page to Entries With References for Microfilm Reels with "C" & "T" prefixes
Click on Heritage
Enter in search bar at top of page T-15425 go to image 1555 for John's record
You can also do another search using  C-4746 for information on  CE Waifs and Strays image 860,861, 912 and 913.

Lilybell, the link you posted didn't work so I'm posting the link to John's entry at the Heritage website:
http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_reel_t15425/1555?r=1&s=3

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline rosalindamaryllis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the info.

I think it must be the John Prindle. I just have a photo from Glace Bay  NS and wondered if that is him but as there is a voter in Carleton in 1935 named John Prindle i assume it isn't and he must have stayed in his last place.
I only found out about John some 12 years ago, a couple of years before my Dad died and he said that his Mum who had been left with 3 children and a husband who didn't much like the responsiblity and left, so had had to "let John go". They were at the time in Birkenhead but came down to the Wiltshire area where my Nan had to go into the workhouse ,where she became the cook and subsequently met another chap with whom she had a daughter. The oldest boy stowed away on a ship to New Zealand. Sad times.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »

Further information for John Prindle.
www.canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/overseas-settlement-committee

His name is on the lists for Grants from OSC Overseas Settlement Committee

I did not see any more listings for John after 1935 on the voters lists so am wondering if he might have passed away. He could have also enlisted in WW!! but he is not on any casuality list. Just  tossing  out  possibilities.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland