Author Topic: The Bird family of Pembury Kent  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Bird family of Pembury Kent
« on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Im doing some research on the residents of The Dower House and its gardeners cottage Dower Lodge located at 8 Tonbridge Road in Pembury. Today and since the 1950's the Dower Lodge became a private residence called " St Ediths" and since about the mid 1980's The Dower House became the Mercure Hotel.

I am interested in obtaining information about the following members of the bird family who lived there in the 1950's. Below is the information I have to date.

Directories

1952 to 1954.........Two listings (1) Mrs I.E. Bird, The Dower House Pembury (2) Mrs T.E. Bird, The Lodge, The Dower House, Pembury

1948 to 1953......... Mrs I.E. Bird, The Dower House, Pembury

1957....................Mrs I,E. Bird, St Ediths, Pembury   (St Ediths used to be called The Lodge, The Dower House)

Death...........Irene E. Bird born 1886 death reg at Tonbridge June qtr 1958

Probate.........Irene Edith Bird of St Ediths, Tonbirdge Road, Pembury, widow, died April 3,1958. Probate to Midland Bank Executors and Trustee Company Limited; Joseph William Henry Bird, civil servant, and Maria Irene Helena Carroll, single woman. Estate valued at 5,966 pounds.

Birth..........Joseph William Henry Bird Sept. 3,1909 India. Baptised October 1,1909 at Poona, Bombay, India ; son of Tresa Edith Birth (T.E. Bird in above directories ?) and William Richard Bird.

Death...........Joseph William Bird, born September 3,1909 death reg December 1993 at Bracknell, Berkshire.

Any information about Irene Edith Bird and Tresa Edith Bird ; their parents (names and dates of birth and death only required) ; their children (just the number of children they each had is sufficient) and the names/birth/death dates for their spouces. The number of siblings Irene and Tresa had is all that is required for their siblings.  I could not find a death or probate for Tresa Edith Bird so that is of interest also. She appears at The Lodge Dower House in the directories of 1952-1954 but is gone afterwards. I would have thought she died in Pembury but could find a record.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Bird family of Pembury Kent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Any information about Irene Edith Bird and Tresa Edith Bird ;

Bird appears to be their married name - so what was their maiden name?

You need to look for their respective marriages

Have you checked the 1911 for Irene Edith?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply I don't known what their maiden names are. I could not find any marriage records or the 1911 census. Everything I known is given in my inquiry.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Have you applied for Irene's will for more information?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:16 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage on Ancestry for a William Richard Bird, but to an Irene Edith, not Tresa Edith, are they the same woman?

William Richard Bird  age 22
Marriage   20 Nov 1907 at Poona, Bombay, India
Father    Ernest William Bird
Spouse   Irene Edith Roach, age 21,  Father: Henry Richard Roach
FHL Film Number   462974

Have you applied for Joseph William Bird's will for more information. 

Also the death certificates, where found?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for more information on Ms Carroll, to see if any connection?

Possibly:
MS Marie Irene Helena Carroll
Born 11 Oct 1914
Died 30 Dec 2009 at Reading, Berkshire, England

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 16 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Marie Carroll left a will https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

She died 301.12.2009 but probate wasm't granted until 8.7.2011

Suspect Ireland comes into this for births etc
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
This one chempat found looks like Irene who died 1958

William Richard Bird  age 22
Marriage   20 Nov 1907 at Poona, Bombay, India
Father    Ernest William Bird
Spouse   Irene Edith Roach, age 21,  Father: Henry Richard Roach
FHL Film Number   462974

Other possible siblings of Irene Edith Roach father Henry Richard Roach - baptisms and marriages

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hc7/

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 March 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Were good all!!!

From the India records given it looks like the wife of Henry Richard Roach (Roache) was either Ellen Josephine or Helen Josephine or Helena Josephine. Can someone find out what her real name was including her maiden name from perhaps her marriage record to Henry Richard Roach.

Thanks for the list of siblings for Irene Edith Roach. I see no Tresa Edith Bird that was given in the birth record I provided for Joseph William Henry Bird Sept 3,1909 India given as son of Tresa Edith Bird and William Richard Bird. It is beginning to look like there is no "Tresa" and that the birth record for him should have given his mother as Irene Edith. If this is the case then the local directories that gave both a Mrs I.E. Bird and a T.E. Bird at the house in Pembury in the same year must be in error.

So we have the marriage of Irene Edith Roach to William Richard Bird Nov 20,1907 at Poona, Bombay India and her death in Pembury, Kent April 3,1958 which gives as one of he executos a Joseph William Henry Bird who was her son. From this I would like to establish two things. Firstly in when and where did Irenes husband die. Did she have any other children if so names and year of birth for them would be sufficient. I looked myself on ancestry for births to Irene and her husband but could only find just the one. Perhaps they had no other children.

I think with these few questions answered I will have all I need to answer my original inquiry. Since several of you have made valuable contributions to date I wish to thank you all for your time and effort. We are almost done.