Author Topic: Graham's of Limerick  (Read 2420 times)

Offline GRAHAM100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graham's of Limerick
« on: Saturday 26 March 16 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Would be very grateful for some help.  I have checked all the usual sites, but now at a loss to find our Grandfather.  He was born 18th July 1899 James Gerald Graham mother was Margaret and father James. He enlisted into the Royal tank Corp in cork, and shows that he was born city Limerick county Limerick.  His mother listed in 1921 as living St. John ave Limerick and it says nat Irish.  I just cannot find his birth or census records. His father James is listed deceased by 1926 and says he worked as Forman in a bacon factory.  I believe the dates are correct as it appears on the 1939 census, his marriage certificate and his army records.  Any help in finding this family I would be so happy.
Thank you

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Graham's of Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 16 03:07 BST (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be a James Graham born in Limerick in 1899, he could have lied about his age but there isn't one even close to 1899.
I don't see his parents in the electoral register of 1923
There doesn't appear to be any Graham's working in the bacon factory in 1901 or 1911
Why enlist in Cork?

Offline GRAHAM100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 16 11:10 BST (UK) »
I can't see that he would have lied about his age, as his military records, marriage cert, death cert, and 1939 census all tie up.  If he had lied then I am guessing he would put his real date on the census and also his death cert.  Are there any records of who lived at an address in 1921 ? Is St. John's avenue still there?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 16 11:45 BST (UK) »
I can't see that he would have lied about his age, as his military records, marriage cert, death cert, and 1939 census all tie up.  If he had lied then I am guessing he would put his real date on the census and also his death cert.  Are there any records of who lived at an address in 1921 ? Is St. John's avenue still there?

If he had lied then I am guessing he would put his real date on the census and also his death cert.
He wouldn't have provided the information for his death certificate or the 1901 and 1911 census returns. Many people weren't sure of their exact date or place of birth.

As Sinann has already mentioned, there is no birth for a James Graham which fits that date & place.

St. John's Avenue is still there- Google searches easily find references, including this one-
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/12-st-johns-avenue-mulgrave-street-limerick-city-limerick/3327607
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GRAHAM100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
His birthday on his military records matches his age on his marriage certificate, and have found him on the 1939 census in bath uk and his birthday is correct to that. Also matches his age to his death certificate.  That's why I just can't see that being wrong. That's why I am so puzzled in not being able to find him.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 16 16:09 BST (UK) »
If he is that consistent with his age, it is possibly correct, or he believed it to be correct but it's possible he wasn't born Graham, his mother could have married after he was born and he took the name of her husband and that man may not have worked in Limerick until after the 1911 Census.

I had a look on some of the links here http://limerickslife.com/limerick-family-history/ but it got too late last night to continue.

Offline GRAHAM100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you will have a look through.

Offline jayinm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 16 13:05 BST (UK) »
Check to make sure he's not under Grimes, I m James Graham from Limerick and all my ancestors prior to 1920 are Grimes and some after 1920 kept the Grimes name. The Grimes/Graham thing is very common.
Hayes,Grimes,McGuire,Fitzgerald,Hartnedy,Moore,Gleeson,Murroe,Coonagh,Clooncunna South,Cloghnadromin.

Offline GRAHAM100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much- this is really interesting, it may be why I cannot find his birth anywhere.  Do you know why the change?