Author Topic: John Davy 1876-9th September 1904.  (Read 1517 times)

Offline kiwigeoff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Davy 1876-9th September 1904.
« on: Saturday 26 March 16 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.
I am researching my wifes Irish family history, she was born in County Louth in 1937.
Although we know a lot about her paternal grandfather, John F (possibly Finbar) Davy, we are unable to locate his burial in 1904.
John was acting as a chauffeur for a Mr Gray and family but it appears that Mr Gray fancied a go at driving himself and whilst approaching Wicklow Town on Marlton Hill where there is a sharp curve a rear wheel calapsed (wooden) and the car rolled over crushing John in the process. The other passengers received only minor injuries apparently. John was taken to Wicklow County Infirmary and died shortly thereafter. The Coroner released his body for burial the same day, the 9th September 1904.
John and his wife, Anne, and 5 children, lived in one room on Clanbrassil Street, Dublin, a fair distance from the accident and I doubt that Anne had any spare cash for either travel or a burial.
Accordingly, I wondered if John was buried as a pauper in a cemetery adjacent to the infirmary and although he was a Catholic this may not have been known.
I wondered if a local genealogist/historian on the forum may have some knowledge of what may have happened to John or where I may be able to find information regarding his burial. Incidentally, John does not appear to have been buried in any of the Dublin South Cemeteries.
If anybody can help it would be really appreciated.
Regards.
kiwigeoff.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Davy 1876-9th September 1904.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 16 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't help with your search for his burial place but there is a report on the accident in the Kildare Observer you can add to your collection if you haven't already got it.
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=home

Offline kiwigeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 16 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Sinann.
Thanks for that, yes I do have a couple of newspaper articals about the accident but i'll have a look at the Kildare Observer anyway.
 You may be interested to know that according to an artical in the Irish Times, March the 12th 2003, John Davy was the first person to die as the result of a motor car accident in Ireland. At the time there were less than 60 cars in Ireland.
Famous at last!
Regards.
kiwigeoff.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 16 19:13 BST (UK) »
Just reading that article again you would think John's remains would also have been sent to Dublin by train, if they could send the car to Dublin what not him and let his family have a wake.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 16 19:19 BST (UK) »
as Anne seems to have been married before to Patrick Walsh in 1891 do you know when he died,could John be buried with Patrick.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 16 22:07 BST (UK) »
His death is registered as John Finlan Davy
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/2a2c6d13162153
Unusual name if correct.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
I see you have been getting quite a lot of help on the Dun Laoghaire site
http://dunlaoghairecounty.ie/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2594&p=143717

The Deansgrange photos are not complete yet so he may turn up there.

Offline kiwigeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 16 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hello dathai and Sinann.
I hadn't thought of John accompanying the car wreck to Dublin but i have contacted Glasnevin, Mt Jerome and Dea ns Grange direct and no joy there unfortunately.
The most likely death for Anne's first husband, Patrick Walsh is the Jan-Mar quarter 1894, age 24, but i have failed to find his burial place either.
John'death is registered under the "Finlan" name but must have been mistranscribed as it was "Finbar"actually, the name passed down to his son and grandsons.
Yes, i have had a really good run on dunlaoghairecounty.ie site but again, no answer to to original query.
Rocker on the site recommended I try RootsChat which i have to say has helped me a lot in the past.
Anyway, thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Regards.
kiwigeoff.

Offline Manchestertwang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 24 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, John Davy was my great grandfather. His son, Arthur, who was born in 1899, married my grandmother, Mary Lynch.  Their 5th child, Annie, was my Mum.  I guess that means I'm a distant relative.