Author Topic: CRAIL LIFEBOAT 1898 - Alexander Taylor.  (Read 813 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CRAIL LIFEBOAT 1898 - Alexander Taylor.
« on: Sunday 27 March 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
There is a separate thread re WATSON coxswain of the Crail Lifeboat in 1898.    In this thread there is mention of his crew one of them is an Alexander Taylor 45 years old with 6 of a family.    I am trying to find out if this man is Alex Taylor b1851 and married Christina Robertson 1876.    Help much appreciated.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=672044.18

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CRAIL LIFEBOAT 1898 - Alexander Taylor.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
I've just noticed this query, having been away over the Easter weekend.

I fast-forwarded to the 1901 Crail census and found Alexander Taylor, 52, living in the Shoregate with his wife Christina, born Perth, and their son William,19. No sign of 6 children, but there is no other adult Alexander Taylor who could be the lifeboatman.

I then went back to the 1891 census and found Alexander and Christina with 4 children - Alexander, Jane Ann, William and Betsy.

I checked Scotlandspeople for Taylors of either sex born between 1891 and 1901, and there were none. I'm sure this must be the Alexander Taylor who was in the lifeboat, but the 6 children seem to be an exaggeration.

I had a great-great-grandmother called Marjory Myles who was left a single mother with 2 children, and she later married a Crail fisherman called Andrew Taylor and had more children to him.

In 1765 a Crail boat foundered near the entrance to the harbour with the loss of the entire crew, which included a Taylor. In 2015 there was an event in Crail to commemorate that disaster and descendants of the crew came from as far afield as Australia.

Harry

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CRAIL LIFEBOAT 1898 - Alexander Taylor.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
Harry

thanks for your very informative reply.    There were indeed 6 children, 2 boys and 4 girls.    In 1891 the other 2 were Crawford b1876 with the Flynn family in Kirkcaldy and Christina H b1878 who is with her Gmother Christina in Crail.   I have a nightmare with Crail and Fife when tracing Gays, Taylors and Scotts!!!!

thanks again for your reply

Harry