Author Topic: Recording a One Name Study - is there a "best" way?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recording a One Name Study - is there a "best" way?
« on: Sunday 27 March 16 10:11 BST (UK) »
Through research on female lines in my family over the years, I have come across at least three people doing one name studies on different surnames of interest to me. They have all had "my people" but as individual records and I have been able to help by giving information to join them up to families. The way these researchers has shown the information on the individuals was to list alphabetically by forename and then after that all the people with same forename chronologically by year (or date if they knew it) of birth.
A few days ago I found someone had submitted a correction to Ancestry regarding the name of one of my relatives. I thought he might be a living relative of mine, so contacted him and found he was carrying out a one name study on the surname.
The method he used was to record family groups according to the birthplace of the "patriarch" on a spreadsheet. As this is more location based than an alphabetical list, I can see that this is likely to highlight siblings more easily. Ironically in the case of my family, the father was in the army and had children born in a variety of different places as he was posted around the country, so all his male children (themselves "patriarchs" by 1851) don't immediately show up as siblings!

This has made me think I should seriously consider a one-name study for my paternal line. The name seems to only occur in London and a few neighbouring counties in southern England, and in each of the Victorian censuses there are less than 200 individuals. So it sounds maneageable.

Has anyone any pointers as to how the data is best recorded. So far I have a tree of definite ancestors / relatives. A few tree fragments of family groups of possible relatives (based on location) And those not obviously linked are just a list on a spreadsheet in chronological order of birth / baptism.

I have tried some of the links on this board but they are quite old and many broken now.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Recording a One Name Study - is there a "best" way?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
I would add that the ultimate aim is to put my study on-line and make it easily searchable, so tree format wouldn't be so useful. I might be able to produce some type of list from my FT software. it's a bit old - Banner Blue /  Broderbund FTM for Windows 95 / 98, running happily on Windows 10!
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,
Wondering if you got any further with this? I started a one name study on the Jolly's in Kincardineshire but now need to expand into the north of Angus and the south of Aberdeenshire...I was using multiple sheets in a spreadsheet to track the families but I think I need something more sophisticated to be able to see the connections. Not sure how to move forward?
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
I've been doing a One Name Study on and off for 15 or so years.  I've tended to enter the parish register information in spreadsheets because of the ease of sorting against different columns when looking for information and then typed up the separate unconnected lines into different "trees" in my family tree software cross referencing in the spreadsheet either by code or colour which file the specific entry has been entered in.  That way, you can see a tree but also keep track of who has been connected to which family.  I could then update the tree with other information such as Census and GRO BMDs, but there's nothing to stop you creating spreadsheets of that information separately and cross referencing it.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but I just found that much easier.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day