Author Topic: Longest timespan of parent and child?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Longest timespan of parent and child?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 March 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
I have a 7 x great grandfather born in 1663 and his youngest daughter ( my 7 x great aunt) died in 1802 at the age of 98 - 139 years.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 April 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
father born 1789 (died 1830) (3* great grandfather - but his birth date is from the convict records can't back it up by anything else)
son (born 1817) died 1916

so 127 years on my dads side

father born 1808 (died 1869) (my 3* great grandfather)
daughter (born 1867) died 1958 - she was the youngest child of his second marriage, her eldest brother was 27 years older than her

so 150 years on my mums

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 April 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
Can't rival some of the contributions but gggrtgranfather George Hill of Clifton, Brighouse born 1771 Pogmore, Barnsley ( d. 1862) and his son my ggrtgradfather Francis d. Brighouse 1894. Thought this is rather good going for an ordinary working man.
Am just wondering if the stats. would stretch further if I looked at all Francis's siblings?
On a more somber note, an old school friend passed on last week aged only 67. He was one of three sons, none of whom made it to 70 but both their parents lived well into their nineties. A sad paradox, perhaps.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 April 16 19:01 BST (UK) »
Can't rival some of the contributions but gggrtgranfather George Hill of Clifton, Brighouse born 1771 Pogmore, Barnsley ( d. 1862) and his son my ggrtgradfather Francis d. Brighouse 1894. Thought this is rather good going for an ordinary working man.
Am just wondering if the stats. would stretch further if I looked at all Francis's siblings?
On a more somber note, an old school friend passed on last week aged only 67. He was one of three sons, none of whom made it to 70 but both their parents lived well into their nineties. A sad paradox, perhaps.

One thing that seems to be true is that it seems impossible to make generalisations. I've come across a lot of parents in my family tree who outlived their children, or siblings who long outlived other siblings.

My mother's mother lived to be over 90 and her father well into his late 80's. My mother never smoked as much as one cigarette and hardly touched alcohol and she died in her later 60's, yet my grandad drank merrily and smoked almost anything that he could set light to, from about the age of 12! I think that it all depends on how the genes get mixed.

Of course as we go further back we can't know how many rels. died due to short or longer term effects of accident. Also, in my line, two daughters of a fairly wealthy farmer died in their mid-30's of TB (early 1800's) but their mother (in the same household) outlived them to reach 80.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 April 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, TB was the big imponderable.
It was totally unpredictable.
It would take some family members but not others.
My mother's aunt and young cousin died of it in the 1930's but the lady's husband and other daughter were unaffected, as were my grandma who nursed them both up to their deaths.
Given that they were next door neighbours and the kids were constantly in and out of both small houses, it's amazing that no one else fell victim to the TB.
No wonder that it was a secret, much-feared ailment.
My gran lived to 93, all her children were long-lived, except one daughter who died of a heart attack age 59. No other early heart disease in the family.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 April 16 20:07 BST (UK) »
My father's mother died of TB (along with several siblings who didn't live in his household). He was 4 when she died and all of the neighbours expected him to follow her. He's over 90 now! Unlike his early C19th farming ancestors, his living conditions were more like those where you'd expect TB to be rife.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 April 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
My grandfather b1828 and my father d1971 were both ag labs and later railway workers. Cant get anymore working class than that i think.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:12 BST (UK) »
My grandfather b1828 and my father d1971 were both ag labs and later railway workers. Cant get anymore working class than that i think.

They were probably less likely to die from a surfeit of lampreys or an excess of claret than more affluent contemporaries! I think that as long as people avoided ridiculous excesses and accidents, it was mainly down to genetic inheritance. All my forbears who reached 85-90+ were "working class", and even the fairly well-off farmers in my tree would still have worked very hard physically in the pre-mechanical era.

Online g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born 1871, his daughter my aunt is still going strong , so 145+ years
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire