Author Topic: Longest timespan of parent and child?  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longest timespan of parent and child?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
As mentioned in another thread, some people suspect that sometimes  when a young girl or woman had an illegitimate child, then the girls own parents would take on the baby  as their own.     One never knows.

That is always a possibility. The woman in my case was one of the middle children of a man who fathered children at a pretty normal age and died aged 61. She died aged 99 and her birth and death are clearly documented. Two of her brothers died in infancy and teens respectively. One of the things I've found is just how variable lifespans of siblings can be, even discounting infant mortality.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born in 1828, my father died in 1971, span 143 years. If you include the next generation I am still going here in 2016 aged 76; 3 generations over 188 years and counting. Intend to make the double century.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:14 BST (UK) »

As mentioned in another thread, some people suspect that sometimes  when a young girl or woman had an illegitimate child, then the girls own parents would take on the baby  as their own.     One never knows.

Either 19th century women in rural Cambridgeshire had an extremely long reproductive life or more likely there were a lot of teenage age pregnancies hidden by this means. Remember there was no television so that had to do something on a winters' evening! ;)
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
This group all died after the introduction of statutory records in Scotland so I'm somewhat confident the ages are correct.

John Thom (1794 - 1869) his daughter Davidina (the youngest in a large family) (1850 -1940) that's 146 years. (Davidina's mother was born in 1807 so 133 if we are looking at mothers). Davidina outlived most of her children but her daughter Mabel lived a good age (1887-1980).
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:30 BST (UK) »
My great, great uncle is 97 and his dad was born in 1875. So 141 years.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 March 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
My father's cousin Harry was born 1862, his son Claude died aged 110 in 2011, a span of 149 years. Not something I wish to emulate, although with my father born in 1886 there is already a span of 130 years.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 March 16 18:13 BST (UK) »
My father's cousin Harry was born 1862, his son Claude died aged 110 in 2011, a span of 149 years. Not something I wish to emulate, although with my father born in 1886 there is already a span of 130 years.

Jebber

Impressive! :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 March 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Wow, 149 years.  I can't beat that.  My dad is almost 94 now and his father was born in 1874, so a span of 142 years.

I can recall my grandparents talking about the Civil War [their parents' generation had fought in it].  They sparred over whose family had sacrificed more in support of the Union cause.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 March 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
Wow, 149 years.  I can't beat that.  My dad is almost 94 now and his father was born in 1874, so a span of 142 years.

I can recall my grandparents talking about the Civil War [their parents' generation had fought in it].  They sparred over whose family had sacrificed more in support of the Union cause.

That's an impressive span and the personal link to that history in fascinating.

Dave :)