Author Topic: John YELLOWLEES Marriage  (Read 2850 times)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John YELLOWLEES Marriage
« on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a big problem and was hoping that some kind soul could help.

John YELLOWLEES born 2 November 1701 at Mellerstain, Berwickshire  was married to either Marion PECAE or Elizabeth FAIRBAIRN circa 1735 to circa 1740.
John YELLOWLEES parents were Thomas YELLOWLEES and Janet YULE.
Does anyone know which lady John was married to?

Help!!

Regards,

Margaret103

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John YELLOWLEES Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for the baptisms of any of their children to see if it gives a mothers name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
Carole,

Yes, I have looked on SP and nothing that I can find.
Thanks though for the suggestion.

Margaret103

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 16 05:13 BST (UK) »
John YELLOWLEES was Christened 2 Nov 1701  Earlston, Berwickshire, Scotland
Father THOMAS

Possible Children Christened Earlston, Father JOHN;
JOHN 22 June 1735
MARGARET 30 Nov 1737
JENNET 11 Jan 1739
THOMAS 15 May 1740
EDWARD 22 April 1742
JENNET 17 Nov 1743
BETTY & Dec 1749
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Sorry cant find either possible Marriage on there.

Seems quite old to have 1st Child at 34.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 16 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks very much, that is good news about the children's Baptisms. I shall have to keep digging for a possible Marriage for either lady.

Thank you.

Offline Yellowley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi John was married on 9 June 1727 at Ledgerwood to Marion Pecae hope this is helpful, his parents are Thomas Yelloulies and Jannett Yooll, all Tennant farmers at Mellerstians Thomas was born 17 May 1668 son of Robert Y. and Margaret Fairbain bapt Gordon. Robert was married on 4 July 1667 at Gordon. He is more than likely a grand son of John Y and Marion Reid John was Dingwall Pursuvient in Edinburgh.
All the best Carol Yellowley (I have his signet ring) 

Yellowlees whatever the spelling!

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the info about John YELLOWLEES - from your message I gather that John is the son of Thomas Y and Janet YULE, whom I have and the Grandson of Robert Y and Margaret FAIRBAIRN.

I have done a bit of research on John since posting the original message I wrote and found him married to Marion PECAE in 1727. They had 1 son named John born February 1735 at Earlston.  I also found a possible death for Marion PECAE on 2 February 1735 at Traquair, Peebles (from SP). He then married Elizabeth FAIRBAIRN on 6 January 1737 at Stichel & Hume, Roxburghshire, and with her had 7 children, all born at Earlston, Berwickshire.
Am I on the right line?

John Y is my 4 X Great Grandfather.....

Do you know if there is a connection between Elizabeth FAIRBAIRN (married to John Y) and Mary FAIRBAIRN who was married to Alexander TAIT, whose daughter Margaret TAIT (born circa 1781 at Mellerstain) married James FAIRBAIRN (born 9 January 1765 at Earlston)?  Their daughter Isabella FAIRBAIRN married Robert YELLOWLEES (my 2nd cousin 3 times removed) (born 1 December 1853) on 15 June 1850 at Earlston.

I hope you can understand what I have written as it does seem a bit of a ramble!

From what you have said and your name suggests that we could be related in some way...

Look forward to your reply.

Regards

Margaret

Offline Yellowley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret yes I understand, it looks like "cousins" marrying to me, I did not know Marions date of death, thank-you, I am working on a large database of both English and Scottish Yeahollis or however they pronounce Yellowle(e)(y)(I)s if you like I can send copy. I have gravestone pics from Earleston as well
Carol
Yellowlees whatever the spelling!

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Although it doesn't seem to appear on SP (maybe I wasn't creative enough with my spelling!), the Register of Testaments 1561-1800 for the Commissariot of Lauder lists a testament 1669, 10th May 1670 for a 'Thomas YELLOWLEES in Mellerstanes'.

Another fleeting reference seems to suggest that in 1686, when the Duke of Gordon came to take possession of Mellerstain, granted to him after the execution of Robert BAILLIE in 1683, the bailie (estate steward), a Patrick YELLOWLEES gathered a force of about 100 Mellerstain residents to try and prevent the Duke of Gordon taking possession. Does anyone know any more about this?

One very faithful and long-term coachman of George BAILLIE and his wife Lady Grisell in the first quarter of the eighteenth century was a Thomas (Tam) YULE.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram