Author Topic: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 3)  (Read 12311 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 3)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Have to say, I've been disappointed with this course so far.

I'll try to stick it out, but not sure it will hold my attention

I must admit that I was expecting a bit more by week 3.   I find I am now easily distracted back to rootschat and it's challenges  ;D  I will persevere though but won't be putting my hand in my pocket for the 'certificate' at the end of the course.

Rosie  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
I don't buy the certificates as I don't think they prove anything. You can get one for completing 50% of the course, and to do that all you'd need to do is click on the completed bit at the end of each section - in actual fact you wouldn't even have to read or do anything!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
I agree with many of the comments here.  I guess for me I was looking for some hidden 'gem' of guidance that I'd overlooked and clearly I'm not going to find it.

For me personally,  the best bit of information (to date) is about the WW1 Glasgow military resources held at the Mitchell.

On the plus I do like the way Future Learn have structured their VLE (virtual learning environment)  I also like they way they are trying to incorporate things like the Google Hang out and that recorded message thing.  But, having said that they really haven't worked. 

Each section so far has been very repetitious. For example, I've just seen Tahitha talking about the census, I mark that as read and then I have to read almost exactly the same information on the next page..why?  I don't like the sweeping statements she makes or the fact "we'll look at that later in the course" she never gives us proper examples at the time.  She mentioned school records -  so exactly what type of records would an Iman or nun make with regard to an ancestors school life?

We are following Chris's story which is great. But why not use her family to show us how she is drawing up her family tree?

She started to mention research in France ( I don't have French ancestors, but would be interested to hear more!) and then she hastily stopped. For me, there's too many people on the course and the comments, I think are restricted by the very small comment box. The comments just seem very superficial. Like "WOW, great website" or " I never knew that". 

I'm afraid however the video's are still top of my complaints list.  She's like a large spider in the middle of some ghastly web 'umming' and 'ahhing' her way through family history 101.  :P

I would however like to acknowledge how much time and effort Tahitha and her department at Strathclyde have obviously put into this, but still some considerable 'tweeking' is required!

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:19 BST (UK) »
... and I agree with your comments too california dreamin, a LOT of work they've done for the Mitchell Library WW1 resources.

I'm just taking it as it comes, if anything a bit of a repetitive refresher course but I'm OK with that, trying to scroll through and read a few of the comments each step as I go as time permits.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:22 BST (UK) »
It seems to me to be simply an adaption of Tahitha's existing course material, especially the videos with her sideways glances at charts presumably displayed on a screen elsewhere and the fact that she is looking at her audience and not at the camera.  Other MOOC courses I have done have obviously been developed specially for the FL series.

But let's not forget that this course is free (as is our own wonderful site, of course). ;)

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
As for the quiz I was surprised to see a question like this  ::)

Which of these is NOT a reason for an archive to be created?

a) to provide a space for people to have lunch

b) for the specific purpose of maintaining and preserving important records,

c) to provide access to records for reasons of historical scholarship

d) for the accountability of the organisation creating the records.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
 It obviously can't be a)    ;D ;D ;D    I always look for an archive when I want to find somewhere to eat. They must have been desperate for everyone to get that right.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 12:09 BST (UK) »
They probably thought that they had better put in one easy one for those like me that had not been paying too much attention this week  ;D   ;D

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
OO...er...um...how silly! :D  Did they run out of ideas for a fourth option?

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.