Author Topic: Marriage request - BOWEN/PRICE 1831  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage request - BOWEN/PRICE 1831
« on: Monday 28 March 16 03:43 BST (UK) »
I have found information that David BOWEN married Winifred PRICE in Bedminter, Somerset in November 1831.  I have no other details to identify a Parish or better location.  I would greatly appreciate any assistance in how I might go about working out the Parish and how I might obtain copies or details of the records.  Thanking you for any assistance in Advance.
Sean
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage request - BOWEN/PRICE 1831
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
Bedminster was at that time a single parish, the church being St John the Baptist. As far as I know, the only online access to its records is through Familysearch, which does indeed show a marriage of David Bowen and Winifred Price on 29 Nov 1831.  The Bristol FHS sells a CD index of marriages in the Bristol diocese 1813-1837 which includes Bedminster. That has the additional details that Winifred was a widow and that both were "of this parish".

Although in the county of Somerset, Bedminster was in the diocese of Bristol and its registers are kept at the Bristol Record Office. They should be able to send you a photocopy of the record. (Probably the only other useful information will be the names of the witnesses.)

David

David

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 16 07:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information David.  Do you know if there would be parents details on the marriage record? I think if it is only going to provide witness details, I might not pursue the actual record any further at this stage.
It is helpful to know about the church and also both being of that parish. Slowly filling things in.
Thanks again
Sean
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
No I'm afraid no parents names would have appeared on a marriage certificate for 1831.  Occasionally one of the fathers' names would appear as a witness but this was not done as a regular item on the marriage certificate.

Even today you only have the father's name on a marriage certificate, never the mother.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage request - BOWEN/PRICE 1831 COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 16 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Girl Guide. I appreciate the information, will save me wasting some time.
Thanks again.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
As you probably know David and Winfred are down as not born in the County in the 1841 Census;
David Bowen, 40, Seaman
Winifred Bowen, 40
David Bowen, 9
William Bowen, 5
Living in Gloucestershire, Children both born in County.

Possible Burial;
David BOWEN, age 52
Birth:1793
Burial:30 May 1845
Bristol, Gloucester, England

There is another Buried 1842 but I would think too old;
17 September 1842
Bedminster, St John, Somersetshire, England
Age 56, Birth c 1786

And another 30 June 1850
Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Age 64, Birth c 1786

Have you checked out this Marriage on FreeBMD?
June 1846, Bristol, 11 196
Winifred BOWEN, 2 possible males Spouses
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 April 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish,  It seems I have found myself quite a puzzle here.  The only things I can confirm at the moment are the marriage details for David and Winifred, Birth details of two children David 1831 and William 1836, and the 1841 census.  Other than that there are a lot of options and I havent really sat down and tried to work it out logically for too long.  The marriage record for David and Winifred records Winifred as a Widow, so I have 3 possibles for a previous marriage for Winnifred. The most likely on face value being Winifred Darral who married Charles Price in 1824, with Charles dying in 1827.
Then as you say the 3 different death possibles for David, although someone previously posted that it was the 17 Sep 1842 burial. Not sure why they were so positive on this date.
lastly there is then two marriages in 1846 for Winifred Bowen, being William Trott or David Williams.  Life would be so much easier if they had computers and computer records back then. ha ha

Thank you for your comment.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 April 16 23:17 BST (UK) »
If Winifred married David Williams she may have died as Winifred Williams aged 48 in 1848.

Buried 26 March 1848, Bristol.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 16 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you AVM, I've got a lot to look into now, just have to try and find the right sites to visit to try and confirm things.