Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 23865 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

My four times Gt. Grandfather was George Hood of Selby, Yorkshire, England, who married Sarah Russel at Selby in July 1815. They had five sons and three daughters baptised at Selby.

Their son William Hood married Jane Casson at Scarborough in December 1851 and was known as Jane Hood and Jane Casson Hood, of Wren Lane, Selby, laterly Byefield alias Byfield, Selby and Brayton, Yorkshire, according to our Hood Family papers and that both were understood to be buried in the Quaker Burial Ground at Selby, Yorkshire, England, UK.

They had three children Edwin Hood, Marion Hood (who became the wife of George Scaum of Pontefract, called Marion Scaum) and Beatrice Hood.

I understand Jane Casson Hood held family papers in the 1880s, which are still held by a Casson family member in the USA.

I would be most grateful please, if your family papers shed any light on William Hood's father, known as 'George Hood of Selby' in 1815, or even, where George Hood was buried when he died at Selby 18th September 1845?

I attach something, we have in our Family Papers, which survive.

Perhaps you will be kind enough to reply? Thank you.

Kind regards, Mark Hood

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
From Ancestry website Apprentice indenture Thorne

Mordecai Casson master

Apprentice John Cockin 28 July 1796

Mordecai Hood Casson

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Thorne/Thorne34Dry.html

Thorne 1834 trade directory

Miscellaneous

Casson Mordecai Hood, currier,Silver st
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
Quaker records of birth and death have him as  Mordecai HORD Casson
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

I presume you have seen this ...
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/casson/285/

"As for Edwin's forebears, by chance, I was in contact some years ago with an American Casson descendant (still called Casson, but not a descendant of Edwin's), who had been given an archive of materials put together by one Jane Casson Hood in 1888 in England. Those records tend to confirm my research that Edwin's father was Benjamin Casson," Jane Casson Hood was married to William Hood who died Selby 1870 and Jane's Will dated 11 May 1893 proved at Wakefield in 1794, refers to 'Edwin Hood' as her son "who was the third child of Mordecai Casson and Sarah (nee Curtis)."

"As for the coat of arms, I am none the wiser. Our family story has it that Edwin had a carriage with a coat of arms on the door, being a castle" A book regarding Crests under Casson says "Tower" not Castle. There is no reference in Jane Casson Hood's Will to a Coat of Arms, or a Family Crest "with a bird flying from it. The associated motto was "I follow flying". I have also researched coats of arms and see the similarity to/derivation from? that of the Cassons of Ffestiniog. My great great grandmother kept a cravat (said to be Edwin's) that had the Casson crest on it. It was deliberately burned - along with diaries - by a relative who was not fond of family history! I still don't know whether Edwin had some entitlement to use the crest," Acording to the book on Crests, the Tower with a bird flying from it, was the Crest of Casson. I understand from another family, that a Coat of Arms cannot be passed without formal Royal approval and a Notice is usually placed in the London Gazette. "or what the connection might be to those Casson families."

"Am interested to hear about the Lyster connection" re Lyster, so am I "and to know what land that might be. We have always had a story that Edwin owned "land", but so far have found some land in "Woodlands" and also in the town of Thorne (where many Cassons lived)."

The 'Outwoods of Selby' were on Selby Common and under Charities in a book, some Selby individuals are mentioned, including the Reverend John Turner and John Spencer

See page 346 and 347

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0zBbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA346&lpg=PA346&dq=Out+woods+of+Selby+John+Turner+John+Spencer&source=bl&ots=Y7lI5ekFKU&sig=Fc16TSUIMrKS6UKT1P-Y0wKuW0k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9zcqK9ufLAhVFPxQKHb8vAqwQ6AEIHjAB

The reference to Lyster is interesting.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
Quaker records of birth and death have him as  Mordecai HORD Casson

Interest point ;- Mordecai  Casson Quaker entries are monthly meeting house in Pickering

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

William Hood X Jane Casson married 1851 in Scarborough
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

I presume you have seen this ...
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/casson/285/

"As for Edwin's forebears, by chance, I was in contact some years ago with an American Casson descendant (still called Casson, but not a descendant of Edwin's), who had been given an archive of materials put together by one Jane Casson Hood in 1888 in England. Those records tend to confirm my research that Edwin's father was Benjamin Casson," Jane Casson Hood was married to William Hood who died Selby 1870 and Jane's Will dated 11 May 1893 proved at Wakefield in 1794, refers to 'Edwin Hood' as her son "who was the third child of Mordecai Casson and Sarah (nee Curtis)."

[Part Struck out and Note in red (previously in blue) added by BushInn1746. If the researcher acquired the Marriage, UK Census and Will of Jane Hood, alias Jane Casson Hood of Selby (late of Brayton), they will see that the father of Edwin Hood was William Hood]

Kind regards Mark

Hello All

I was interested in the reference to "the book-case and drawers that belonged to the Simpsons" in the Will of Jane Hood (Jane Casson Hood of Westfield in the Parish of Brayton, "Proved at Wakefield the 19th day of June 1894 by Edwin Hood and Marion Scaum two of the children of the said deceased") .

Byfield Selby, the home of William Hood and Jane Hood his widow also of Wren Lane, Selby (according to his 6th July 1870 Inquest at Selby and who had previously married Jane Casson), according to the 1781 Selby Assessment lists Byfield as being occupied by Mary Simpson, so that probably indicates where the bookcase came from.

I was also interested to note John Green at Cross Byfield, because coincidentally a John Green is later renting part of the Wren Lane premises from George Hood in 1835 / 1836.

Regarding John Spencer, it does not say Gent, so it is unclear if he was the John Spencer Gent of Selby who died Selby 1809 and linked to John Spencer of Conisbrough Park (John Spencer of Selby 1810 Will Abstract).

Regards Mark

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm following with interest, I wonder if this fellow had any family connection, a well known name in my area and one or two points of interest, Quaker, Mordecai and Mary Casson etc.

Frank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Casson
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm following with interest, I wonder if this fellow had any family connection, a well known name in my area and one or two points of interest, Quaker, Mordecai and Mary Casson etc.

Frank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Casson

Hello Frank

Thanks for the reply.

William Hood, Selby, [aged] 54 at his death in 1870 was listed as a Quaker, on page 32.
https://archive.org/stream/annualmonitororo29alex#page/32/mode/2up/search/Hood

Jane C. Hood, 76 4 3mo. 1894. Selby. Widow of William Hood
https://archive.org/stream/annualmonitororo1895alex#page/106/mode/2up/search/William+Hood

However, his father George Hood (my 4x Gt. Grandfather) is not listed as a Quaker at death, in the Society of Friends Annual Monitor.

Leeds University Library (holders of the Selby Quaker Burial Notes) say George Hood dying 18 September 1845 at Selby is not listed.

Regards Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello All

Managed to see several Selby Manor records, found on TNA, Manorial Documents Register.

Unfortunately the transfer of Lord Petre's premises from Gibson to Hood c.1812 does not seem to have survived.

However, William Hood John Hood and George Hood Jun'r are in the Admissions book to the Manor of Selby in 1842 and I managed to find the Byefield document amongst the Manor of Selby Court Rolls, just before closing.

Sadly, the very document is folded to the side and then all are stitched at the top onto the roll, so if I want to see it all, their Conservator will have to untie it from the Court Roll.

It relates to Byfield, five acres with Appurts (paid £15 to photograph what can be seen). Photos have reference to a Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough late of Selby aforesaid Sailmaker deceased, whose widow Mary Gouldsbrough has surrendered the Byfield premises to the Manor Court at Selby and wishes, it be transferred to the Hoods.

The Jurors at the Manor of Selby Court have agreed that the three Hoods can be Admitted to the Manor of Selby and take over 5 acres at Byfield with the Appurtenances, with reference to the Customs of the Manor.

It is not absolutely clear as to whether the Gouldsbrough's have left the premises (Copyhold) in their Will to the Hoods or not, as £29 is changing hands from the Hoods but this could be the 'fine due' to the Manorial Court (when Copyhold property changes hands).

It seems a £350 mortgage taken out by Thomas Gouldsbrough has to be repaid, borrowed fom a John Abraham of Hull.

I'll be checking Wills, for any Gouldsbrough - Hood family link.

Regards Mark

Copyhold property ... definition for smaller landholding within a Manor ..
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/researchguidance/deedsindepth/copyhold/copyhold.aspx