Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 23861 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »

Hello

If the witness to the marriage below is our ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD, then the COOKE getting married here and also the COOKE Father and witness, might be descendants of the Cook, I have been looking for?

1891 Census. Civil Parish of Latchford in the Borough of Warrington
Alfred W. Hood, Head, M, age 36, Grocer, born Yorkshire, Selby.
Edith Hood, Wife, M, age 24, born Yorkshire, Selby.
Reginald G. Hood, Son, - , age 3, born Cheshire, Latchford.
Alfred W. Hood, Son, - , age 1, born Cheshire, Latchford.
Mary E. Houghton, Serv; S, age 15, Gen'l Domestic Serv; born Cheshire, Latchford.

Marriage
Possibly ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD was a Witness at this 1892 COOKE Wedding at WARRINGTON ...

Marriage: 20 Aug 1892 Holy Trinity, WARRINGTON, Lancs.
Colin SIMS - 30, Schoolmaster, Bachelor, 145 Chapel St. Leigh
Fannie Adolphine COOKE - 21, Spinster, 50 Parker St. Warrington
    Groom's Father: John Sims, Moulder
    Bride's Father: Charles COOKE, Schoolmaster
    Witness: ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD; Clarisse COOKE
    Married by Licence by: W. E. Glenn
    Register: Marriages 1870 - 1901, Page 130, Entry 259
    Source: LDS Film 2068606/7

Mark

Hello

SIMS / SIM Side of the Above Marriage

I am looking into John Sim and his Wife Charlotte (nee Sharrock). John Sim was the Father of Colin Sims, above, (on FamilySearch etc.)

NOTES: Bedford, Pennington and Westleigh were merged to form the town of LEIGH, so some Census for the birthplaces have either Bedford, Lancashire OR Leigh, Lancashire.

1861 Census Deakins Lea, Bedford, Lancashire. Registration District Leigh.
John Sims, Head, Marr, 30, Iron Moulder, Born Bamber Bridge, Lancashire. [Bamber Bridge near Preston].
Charlotte Sims, Wife, Marr, 28, House Keeper, Born NOT KNOWN!.
Catharine Sims, Dau, age 7,  Born Bedford, Lancashire.
John Sims, Son, age 6, Born Bedford, Lancashire.
Ann [Eliza] Sims, Dau, age 4, Born Bedford, Lancashire.
Sydney Sims, Son, age 1, Born Salford, Lancashire.

From a sample of births in the GRO Births Index - Wife and Mother is SHARROCK
Catharine Sims (Mother Sharrock) Birth Leigh 1853.
John Marshall Sims (Mother Sharrock) Birth Leigh 1855. ADDED
Ann Eliza Sims (Mother Sharrock) Birth Leigh 1857.
Sydney Sims (Mother Sharrocks) Birth Salford 1860.
Colin Sims (Mother Sharrock) Birth Leigh 1862.

Marriage 1852 (Not seen image)
John SIM and Charlotte SHARROCK
29 March 1852 St Stephen, Salford, Lancashire.
John Sim - Single, Father John SIM.
Charlotte - Single, Father Jeremiah SHARROCK.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Regarding John Marshall Sims, the 1901 and 1911 Census have him listed as a Retired Builder.

According to this Gazette Notice of 1898
John Marshall SIMS and Edwin PARKINSON carrying on business as Brickmakers at Butts Brick Yard Chapel- street Bedford within Leigh in the county of Lancaster under the style or firm of Sims and Parkinson has been dissolved by mutual consent ...

-----------

Colin SIMS - Trained at Wesleyan College.

Regarding Schofield and Sims, their website says that Colin Sims went away to the first Wesleyan College at Westminster in the early 1880s.
https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/company-history/

On qualifying as a teacher, Sims returned to Lancashire where his talents quickly blossomed. He excelled as a teacher and by 1884 was headmaster of the Bedford Wesleyan Church School in Leigh.

1881 Census - St George Hanover Square, St Margaret and St John the Evangelist Westminster, London Middlesex.
Collin Sims, Boarder, Single, 18, Student, Born Leigh, Lancashire.

----------

I can't wait for the 1892 Colin SIMS & Fanny Adolphine Lister COOKE 1892 Wedding Register entry to arrive to compare signatures, fairly certain that will be Alfred William Hood of Selby.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Interesting and may help other future researchers  ??? who have these surnames in their trees (nothing lost in posting info ), but how does these surnames ? some  30 to 100  ish years later through down stream marriages help to establish who was George Hood  born 1783 to 1789 in finding his origins  ??? as most married couples meet independently through chance meeting.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Friday 02 February 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I  haven't got online access to this marriage entry but can give a bit of background on the Cooke family.

Charles Cooke was born in Cleasby Yorkshire. His parents were Matthew Parkinson Cook and Mary Spedding.

Matthew Parkinson Cooke was a schoolmaster as was Charles his son.

Mathew P Cooke was born c1801 Jamaica ( as per 1851 census)

Claire

Cheshire Archives

PR copies £1.75

http://archive.cheshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=P+294%2fR%2f1&pos=2

http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/RecordOfficeCopyOrder/OrderParishRegisterEntry.aspx?ocid=1000

Marriage
Possibly ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD was a Witness at this 1892 COOKE Wedding at WARRINGTON ...

Marriage: 20 Aug 1892 Holy Trinity, WARRINGTON, Lancs.
Colin SIMS - 30, Schoolmaster, Bachelor, 145 Chapel St. Leigh
Fannie Adolphine COOKE - 21, Spinster, 50 Parker St. Warrington
    Groom's Father: John Sims, Moulder
    Bride's Father: Charles COOKE, Schoolmaster
    Witness: ALFRED WILLIAM HOOD; Clarisse COOKE
    Married by Licence by: W. E. Glenn
    Register: Marriages 1870 - 1901, Page 130, Entry 259
    Source: LDS Film 2068606/7

Hello

Thanks dobfarm for your comment.

I am NOT satisfied that the signature of Alfred Wm Hood born Selby who was living Latchford, Warrington at the time, is the same as the Alfred William Hood witness signature on the abovementioned 1892 Warrington Wedding (clear original Register copy received).

Comparing the first two names, these appear to be written by a different hand and also the forming of the letter H in the two Hood surnames, is very distinctly different.

Possibly two Alfred William Hoods at Warrington in the 1890s, or one visiting for the wedding.

-----------

Interesting though, as my line from George Hood of Selby, had also been through Manchester and Cheshire.

-----------

New Development

I'm not holding out too much hope, but at some point, the Headstones in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground were recorded and these were deposited and then I understand subsequently transferred.

I am hoping they were recorded more than 50 to 100 years ago, because I hear that by the 1970s the Selby Quaker Burial Ground had already been vandalised.

When I receive the replies, I'll let you know, as there may be a benefit to others who have dead ancestors buried in Yorkshire Quaker Burial sites, which have been vandalised or disappeared.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 18 October 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
In 1910, the Son of William Hood of Selby (Wm Hood bapt 1816), Edwin Casson Hood married Mary Ediss and in 1911 the couple are living with a Joseph Smith Shore of Heage Hall, Derbyshire (aged 57, Miller & Farmer, born Heage).

I wonder if Joseph Smith Shore, a Tenant of Heage Hall (1911), was related to Samuel Shore of Norton Hall, Derbyshire?

Edwin Casson Hood's house was at Ambergate.

-----------

(1) Samuel Shore of Norton Hall, Derbyshire, Esq., and Joseph Paice of London, merchant, surviving devisees in trust and executors named in the will of Richard Sherbrooke late of par. St. Sepulchre, London, esq., deceased.
(2) Mary Wilkes, wife of John Wilkes of the City of Westminster, esq., niece and devisee and legatee in the will of the said Richard Sherbrooke.
(3) William Hood of Chancery Lane, esq.
(4) John Hood of Lawrence Poultney Hill, London, gent.
Quotes will of Richard Sherbrooke

Assignment by John Hood to Samuel Shore, Joseph Paice, and William Hood of all the goods, chattels and personal estate which were assigned to him by this indenture, upon the trusts in Richard Sherbrooke's will.
1 April 1784.
Sig. and seal

These Hoods (linked to Samuel Shore above) are of Bardon Park and Chapel, Leicestershire, Horeston, Warwickshire and elsewhere.

On their published (part) Family Tree (pdf attached) is a Thomas, Henry, George that has not been completed, or may have died off.

Mark

I assume you have the 1911 census for Edwin.  I obviously cant  post the details but he is listed as the son-in-law of someone not called Ediss.

Once you review the 1911 you should see where Frank fits in:

01 Jan 1897 Heage, Derbyshire
Frank Tomlinson s/o Benjamin married Annie Shore d/o Joseph Smith Shore.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSJL-K8H  (Note Occupation)

Added: 10 Jul 1871, Heage, Derbyshire
Joseph Smith Shore 18 s/o Isaac
Alice Elizabeth Ruth Stone 19 d/o John

Hi

Thank you for this information Jomot.

In 1911, I can see the Shore and Ediss members, along with Mary Hood and Edwin Casson Hood, at Heage Hall, Belper, Derbyshire.

Because this 1911 Census was laid out as original blood family relationships, likely in relation to Joseph Smith Shore, the Head, separating:-
Mary Hood, Daughter, 38, Married under 1 year, born Heage, from her husband
Edwin Casson Hood, Son in Law aged 53, Married under 1 year, born Yorkshire Selby,
but obviously linked by two blue crosses against each Hood.

Also two straight blue marks against Elizabeth Smith Ediss, Daughter, 38 and George Newell Ediss, Son in Law, 52, both married 12 years, although separate from each other in the list.

With earlier Census in b & w, I wonder generally, if other colour marks, are missed by us.

The 1911 Census page signed by Joseph Smith Shore, of Heage Hall, Belper.

Regards Mark

Reference to Heage and the Shores on page 65 of The Old Halls, Manors and Families of Derbyshire. Volume II.  ...
https://archive.org/stream/oldhallsmanorsa02tillgoog

Seems Shore was a Tenant, so possibly any family documents taken by the family, if any.

Offline Ryan Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Friday 10 January 20 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Although, I cannot quite link to Frank Tomlinson, retired, yet (in the 1942 Probate), an Elizabeth Hood born/bapt Knottingley married an Alfred Tomlinson in 1857.

Some of these Tomlinsons also went to the USA. 

I am one of those Tomlinson's in the USA.  First time on this (or any similar site) so I don't know the protocols, but if you want information on Elizabeth and Alfred there is quite a bit at  https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LT2Z-DT5

Offline Ryan Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Friday 10 January 20 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Attached are a three interesting sources about Jane Casson Hood of Selby from a quick query on familysearch.org

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 10 January 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »

Although, I cannot quite link to Frank Tomlinson, retired, yet (in the 1942 Probate), an Elizabeth Hood born/bapt Knottingley married an Alfred Tomlinson in 1857.

Some of these Tomlinsons also went to the USA.

I am one of those Tomlinson's in the USA.  First time on this (or any similar site) so I don't know the protocols, but if you want information on Elizabeth and Alfred there is quite a bit at  https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LT2Z-DT5

Hello Ryan

Thank you for getting in touch.

It was suggested that your Tomlinson link to Hood at Knottingley, did not link to the Tomlinson that my Hoods at Selby later rubbed shoulders with.

Somebody on anc has linked Hood of Knottingley to Scarborough, probably incorrectly.

Because, had they looked at an earlier 18th Century John Hood, Pontefract marriage they would find a matching witness surname of Leak. The jump to Scarborough makes no sense.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 29 January 21 12:14 GMT (UK) »
You know its sometimes good to stand back and have a general view of your basic info.

George Hood was buried first and later his wife in the Quaker burial ground Selby Yorkshire, though his children in later life through marriage got involved in the Quaker movement and relatives. 2 basic questions - why did George Hood want to be buried in a Quaker buiral ground, thus was he brought up a Quaker in his beliefs that differ from the Anglican or Catholic as to after life  or other reasons.

Did George give up his religion as a Quaker to marry in a Anglican church to his wife Rachel or the Quakers disowned him after the marriage.

Thus maybe looking at your Quaker info that seems more related to George himself (more earlier times ie: 1815  to say 1830) than his children or their in laws - thus turn to a Quaker record of his birth - but where = In Yorkshire as 1851 census

Just an after thought.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth