Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24148 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I cannot find burial for William Russel, Mariner in Selby, hence my asking Mark if he had traced Sarah's parents' deaths to try to "prove" if Mary Russell widow is Sarah's mother.  Just hope the Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough names the three Hood boys in his Will and gives relationship.   As an aside, in 1802 there is a burial for a William Russell in Selby son of William Russell, Mariner of Hull. 
Sarah Russell's dade baptism entry gives details of parents and grandparents. 

Mary Gouldsbrough's burial record shows she was born in 1772

Think we'll have to see what, if anything, Thomas G's Will brings up
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Years later

-------------------------------------

York Herald 19th Oct 1878 Selby  County Court (a brief account of article)

Judge F.A. Bedwell.

C. S. Bowman versus Thomas Burton and Thomas Gouldsbrough

C.S.Bownam landlord of the Londesborough Hotel sought to recover cab hire and damage to cab (Drunken brawl in cab) for a sum of £8 - 2s - 6d

Thomas Burton an auctioneer of Selby

Thomas Gouldsbrough a mast and block maker (no place name given- probably Selby)

His honour non suited the plaintiff agaist Burton but gave a verdict for the full amount against Gouldsbrough
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sarah Russell's parentage from baptism:

William Russell of Selby Sailor son of John Russell of Selby aforesaid Labourer by Martha his wife

Mary daughter of Edward Burton of Selby Wheelwright by Sarah his wife daughter of William Silverwood of Wistow Farmer
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 July 16 00:58 BST (UK) »
Scenario

1800 James Mountain history of Selby

Edward Burton Raff-merchant ( Dealer of Lumber) Ousegate
X   X          X X    Wheelwright and Cooper are very similar trades
John Burton Joiner Oussegate
Richard Gibson Cooper Wren lane

John Hall Master of Workhouse Gowthorpe
X    X          X  X-- poor-boy George Hood aged about 13/14 in 1800 put in a trade in lumber/timber/wood trade  ???
Joseph Hall Schoolmaster Wren lane

Poorboy George Hood marries into Russel/Burton business or wood business

Years later George Hood the overseer of Workhouse
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 July 16 09:26 BST (UK) »

William Russell of Selby Sailor son of John Russell of Selby aforesaid Labourer by Martha his wife

Mary daughter of Edward Burton of Selby Wheelwright by Sarah his wife daughter of William Silverwood of Wistow Farmer

Wheelwright and Cooper maybe  ???. Both trades require precision carpentry or joinery and use blacksmith made metal tyre rings fitting to encircle wood wheels & barrels.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 July 16 09:39 BST (UK) »

Hello Goughy, dobfarm and All

That sounds familiar for Sarah Russel's descent.

I need to get all the photos downloaded (printed) and read, as some other Court Rolls found relating to Byfield Selby have been photographed.

There are accompanying books [Index / Calendars] to the Court Rolls:-

List of Admissions in the several Copyhold Courts of The Honourable E. R. Petre commencing with the Stewardship of M. Mitton

[1st entry] Court Held 28th October 1816.

Court held 30th March 1842.
Gouldsbroughs trustees & mortgees  3 - 13 - 6
to
Hoods

Another book ...

An Account of FINES due within the Copyhold Manors of Selby, Brayton, Thorpe Willowby, Fryston, Hambleton and Hillam

Undated entry
Manors Selby Thomas Goulsbrough Mortgage Surrender to John Abraham

spellings [sic]
Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 July 16 09:43 BST (UK) »
 Mark ~ I think at last your on to something tangible here also Goughy's great finds/facts or help. 

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 July 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
Mark ~ I think at last your on to something tangible here also Goughy's great finds/facts or help.

Thanks Goughy and dobfarm

Re surrender of Byefield, before it passes to the Hood's in 1842, I have managed to read from inside:-

into the hands of the Lord of the said Manor by the hands and acceptance of George Burton and Joseph Richardson ... called or known by the name of Byefield Close containing by estimation five acres more or less situate lying and being in the Township of Selby aforesaid the Lands heretobefore of Mr Tenant but now of William Agar ...

I can only see snippets inside, so I'm trying to work out where Mr Tenant and William Agar fit in, and if possible proprietors, or occupiers.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 July 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
Though the Burton's seem to have  many (High street trades) trades on Ousegate Selby in trade Directories ~ one took my interest in the 1818 and 1820 York poll books but not in the 1822 trade directory.

Edward Burton-Cordwainer of Selby (= Trade to do with Leather)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-iBkAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA8&dq=edward+burton+selby&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=edward%20burton%20selby&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HSFkAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA9&dq=edward+burton+selby&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=edward%20burton%20selby&f=false