Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24056 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile

List of Admissions in the several Copyhold Courts of The Honourable E. R. Petre commencing with the Stewardship of M. Mitton

[1st entry] Court Held 28th October 1816.

Court held 30th March 1842.
Gouldsbroughs trustees & mortgees  3 - 13 - 6
to
Hoods

spellings [sic]

Regards Mark

Hello All

Further reading seems to indicate that Trustees "George Clarkson the younger of Selby aforesaid Farmer and William Bradley of the same place Stone Mason Trustees for Sale named in the last Will and Testament of the said Thomas Gouldsbrough deceased" ...

When Gouldsbrough's Will arrives, I should know if the Hoods (or Russels) were related to Gouldsbrough's, or not.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
Morning All

Had a quick look at Thomas Gouldsbrough.  He married Elizabeth Buttle 1 January 1784 in Snaith. Elizabeth dies 1803.  He remarries 11 Feb 1805 in Sculcoates

Thomas Gouldsbrough widower of the Parish of Selby in the diocese of York and Mary RUSSELL widow and of this Parish. Married by License

Thomas buried Selby 8 Apr 1840.  Mary buried Selby 1 Oct 1848

EDIT

From Dade records

Thomas was son of John Goldsbrough of Knottlingley sailcloth maker by Jane his wife.  Elizabeth dau of George Buttle of Snaith Plumber & Glazier by Ann his wife dau of Tarbotton of Selby Innkeeper

Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough details at Borthwick

Court   York Prerogative & Exchequer Courts
Court detail   Prerogative Court of York
Document type   Will
Document reference   vol.202, f.254
Index reference   1840031842080110.tif/12

Quote Mark

Re surrender of Byefield, before it passes to the Hood's in 1842, I have managed to read from inside:-

into the hands of the Lord of the said Manor by the hands and acceptance of George Burton and Joseph Richardson ... called or known by the name of Byefield Close containing by estimation five acres more or less situate lying and being in the Township of Selby aforesaid the Lands heretobefore of Mr Tenant but now of William Agar ...

I can only see snippets inside, so I'm trying to work out where Mr Tenant and William Agar fit in, and if possible proprietors, or occupiers.

Unquote:

Question

If Mary Russel widow (Nee Burton) married Thomas Gouldsbrough Sculcoates 1805---- Why marry in Sculcoates when they both came from Selby also didn't one of George Hood (d 1845) sons marry a Richardson in Sculcoates

If Thomas Gouldbrough, left his wife Mary (Burton/Russel) a sum of money or income from investments or rents for living expence plus a residence house in his estate to cover her remaining life only ? or left her full residue or part of his estate also Mary could have had her own wealth from Burton/Russel estates.

Mary Gouldbrough may have left a Will 1848

Bearing in mind by only 3 years after their marriage 1815 -by 1818 George Hood a (revamped from R Gibson ) Cooper business and Sarah (Russel) a Straw hat maker both in Wren Lane.

Thus if William Russel, Sarah's dad died before 1805- it may suggest the source of the Hood couples wealth in Wren Lane Selby.  ???

Though can't rule out a George Hood's father a cooper on ship  (Mariner/cooper repairing barrels) came from Glasgow to Yorkshire/Durham (Gateshead/ South Shields-also a captian George Hood in South Shield with lands near Scalby Scarborough in his Durham online Will)

A- John Hood X a Jane Dickinson married 23 November 1762 Scalby Near Scarborough, York, England

Burial Selby 1803 (b1738) Jane Hood wife of John Hood mariner. (Prob Grandmother of George Hood d 1845)

Burial Selby John Hood 1819 (B 1737)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thank you.

Byefield was Thomas Gouldsbrough's. I have ordered and await the scans of his Will bundle with great interest.

Transferred links, so that I can find them easily.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/prerogative-and-exchequer-courts-of-york-probate-index-1688-1858

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/york-peculiars-probate-index-1383-1883

The custom it seems was to surrender Copyhold property to the Manor Court and the "Devisee" or "Heir at Law" or new owner, would request to be Admitted to the Manor at the Selby Manor Court.

I suspect that George Burton and Joseph Richardson were merely acting for the Manor.

You are quite right, the son John of George Hood and Sarah Russel, was my 3 X Gt. Grandfather John Hood of Selby Tanner, who I discovered served on the West Riding Grand Jury, John Hood married Sarah Richardson in 1846 at Sculcoates (already pregnant with George Hood my 2 X Gt Grandfather).

There are a few 19th Century Court Rolls relating to Byefield Selby (some with strike outs, additional writings added, the odd names of Jurors struck through and changed) before 1842.

Nothing about George Hood is easy, 150 - 200 years later.

Regards Mark

Manor of Selby extract from doc outer - Hull History Centre 2016

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
Have often wonder about Albert Einstein Relativity. King Arthur, Robin Hood ! they never seem to have had a beginning or an end either.

George Hood a ' Dr Who !! '  ;D
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 17:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is frustrating!

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello All

William Hood of Selby aged 35 Bachelor, Brewer son of George Hood, a Brewer married Jane Casson aged 34 Spinster, at Scarborough Register Office on 23 December 1851.

The 1861 Census for William Hood and Jane Hood, Wren Lane, Selby (RG 9/3533? with "Page 6]" printed on), says Jane Hood Wife Marr was born Thorne Yorkshire.

However, George Hood (d.1862) lived with Ann Hood at Byfield Lodge, Selby, per 1861 Census.

Regards Mark

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Mmm, I mentioned Cassons in reply number 6 :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thomas Gould(s)brough d 1842

The fact! George Hood d 1845 Selby was still alive and functioning in 1842 and (Sarah Russel) Hood

Sarah (nee Russel) Hood b 1793 , married 1815 to George Hood a Straw hat maker 1818 later decades - tanner and grocer & booze links

Above Sarah's mother Mary Burton b 1772, (assumed same lady) widow Russel to Thomas Gould(s)brough died 1848

The age of the Hood boys William, George and John Hood would be early 20's, above Mary and daughter Sarah granny and mother of the boys- As aforesaid-George Hood sr still alive 1842 after the boys step grandfather Thomas Gouldbrough who would have been an influencing figurehead.

Very business experienced Sarah lived on a very good 30 plus years to 1879 to carry on as head of family and the last descendant living with the elder deceased sometimes pass down historical doc's down their line. ( Russel/Hood/Burton./Gould(s)brough/Silverwood family history researchers)

Anyway Thomas Gouldbrough Will 1842/3 should be interesting.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough may show a link to the Hood boys, however, I have been trying to see if I can find any other links that would tie-in Thomas's wife (widow Mary Russell) being Sarah's mother.  Also thought might be useful to have a look at the "Burton family".  I appreciate Mark this will not give you any direct info re George Hood but going "outwards" as well as "up and down" ancestral lines sometimes brings a snippet of unexpected info.  Here's the Burton family (thank goodness for Dade records)

Edward Burton wheelwright 1744 - 1809 son of Thomas Burton (Rope Maker) and Jane

Marries Ann Blanshard 12 Sept 1769 (Ann dies April 1770) cannot see any child

Marries Sarah Silverwood 9 Dec 1771 - buried 13 May 1776
- child Mary Burton 1772 (marries William Russell - mother of Sarah Russell (m G Hood)

Marries Mary Astley 3 Oct 1780
- children
Thomas Burton born 1775 died 1789
Sarah born 1781 died 1790
William born 1784 married Martha Russell (dau of Benjamin Russell)
Edward born 1786 died 1787
Edward born 1789 died 1824 married Frances Nappy 1813
Thomas born 1791 died 1792
Christopher born 1793 joined Royal Navy as SAILMAKER in 1815 (1851 living in Devon)
Thomas born 1795
Sarah born 1800

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)